Genetics & hermies

Canachris

I know a lot of you don't like hermies, but for me it's my only source of seeds. I've been triggering my plants to make seeds since the 80's after I learned they would produce female seeds. over the years I've had many grow with no issues at all. My question is about genetics, my current grow has 2 third generation plants. Does each generation adapt to it's environment and develop better genetics, or does it degraded and revert to it sub components? just curious cause they look a bit off

20220626_073956.jpg

20220626_073941.jpg

20220626_053458.jpg

certainly, that's what epigenetics is. hey you been growing since the 80's and you posted this thread?
Feeling paranoid, how's she look?
i can't help but think you didn't really need my help.
Back in the 80's I grew outdoors and that was easy... aside from being in the city and my neighbor next door was retired police officer. but you had to have keen eyes to find my pot plants among the tomatoes. the 12' tall chocolate Thai was really hard to hide... I saved her stalk this the pic of it

20220626_084928.jpg

I know a lot of you don't like hermies, but for me it's my only source of seeds. I've been triggering my plants to make seeds since the 80's after I learned they would produce female seeds. over the years I've had many grow with no issues at all. My question is about genetics, my current grow has 2 third generation plants. Does each generation adapt to it's environment and develop better genetics, or does it degraded and revert to it sub components? just curious cause they look a bit off

20220626_073956.jpg

20220626_073941.jpg

20220626_053458.jpg
Your making a copy of a copy of a copy.
Instead of getting getting better they degrade.
I find it best to take cuttings from mothers.
If you keep taking clones from clones from clones you get a weaker plant.
But yours are great.
Hope your having a great weekend my friend. :ciao:

Stat safe :cool:
Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm just second guessing myself, I had better quality seeds I could have used. but hopefully with better quality soil and a little help from my friends things will workout. The weekend has been great, plants to tend, tasty weed to smoke, an I ate a whole bag of them little crunch donuts with a big cup of coffee. every once an a while ya just have to indulge.

20220626_091431.jpg

Back in the 80's I grew outdoors and that was easy... aside from being in the city and my neighbor next door was retired police officer. but you had to have keen eyes to find my pot plants among the tomatoes. the 12' tall chocolate Thai was really hard to hide... I saved her stalk this the pic of it

20220626_084928.jpg
you were a braver man than i was back then. I bought and smoked, but no way in hell was i gonna risk growing in that police state New Jersey was back then.

also hermies are fine if they come from stress...rhodelization i think it's called. if it grows fine in normal everyday conditions without throwing nanners all the way to harvest, and only throws nanners when you stress it, you got an ok bloodline.

also hermies are fine if they come from stress...rhodelization i think it's called. if it grows fine in normal everyday conditions without throwing nanners all the way to harvest, and only throws nanners when you stress it, you got an ok bloodline.
The plant these came from I stressed by accident. I was doing a bit of low stress training and one branch split from the main stalk I taped it back in place and it was fine. but that 1 branch had nanners grow on it and made seeds

Interesting topic with a lot of background that has to be thought out.

Your making a copy of a copy of a copy.
Instead of getting getting better they degrade.
When talking about self-pollinated seeds, yes. If there is a 'change' in one of the strands in of DNA then it is easy to pass that change on to the next generation of seeds. And that second generation, if it survives, passes it on to the next during reproduction.

I find it best to take cuttings from mothers.
If you keep taking clones from clones from clones you get a weaker plant.
A weaker plant only for those clones that come directly from the plant that developed the weakness. Thankfully it takes a lot to damage the DNA that gets passed on as part of sexual reproduction.

With the '3rd generation' clone we take 5 cuttings from the plant and get all of them to produce a rooted cutting. One of those clones develops a problem that involves the code that regulates something in the growth rate, let's say the roots, and makes the roots grow at half rate. In that case, then any and all cuttings from the problem plant will have the error. The other 4 clones that were taken at the same time will not have the error or problem since the problem developed after the cuttings were taken and only in the one plant. Those other 4 clones will be good and those should be the ones used as the mothers for the next set of cuttings.

certainly, that's what epigenetics is.
Good word, that "epigenetics" is. Pulled this brief description of what it is after a google search and it was from the cdc.gov web site....

"Epigenetics is the study of how your behaviors and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work. Unlike genetic changes, epigenetic changes are reversible and do not change your DNA sequence, but they can change how your body reads a DNA sequence."

Know how resilient the cannabis plant is I would think if I were to throw a hand full of seeds male and female in a field and come back in 5 years there would be pot plants growing in that field and over that time they would have adapted to the environmental conditions. but would a hermi growing indoors react the same. not sure I know what I'm talking about could be too high

Good word, that "epigenetics" is. Pulled this brief description of what it is after a google search and it was from the cdc.gov web site....

"Epigenetics is the study of how your behaviors and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work. Unlike genetic changes, epigenetic changes are reversible and do not change your DNA sequence, but they can change how your body reads a DNA sequence."
"Does each generation adapt to it's environment and develop better genetics, or does it degraded and revert to it sub components?"
certainly...studying how that happens is called epigentics...dna changes are mutations...not adaptations...im not sure what you are trying to say

"Does each generation adapt to it's environment and develop better genetics, or does it degraded and revert to it sub components?"
certainly...studying how that happens is called epigentics...dna changes are mutations...not adaptations...im not sure what you are trying to say
It is not what I am trying to say. As I mentioned it is the basic definition or description of the word as found on the cdc.gov website.

It is confusing and I had to look at several different web-sites to get a general idea the meaning. Even with that I still can't explain it.

It is not what I am trying to say. As I mentioned it is the basic definition or description of the word as found on the cdc.gov website.

It is confusing and I had to look at several different web-sites to get a general idea the meaning. Even with that I still can't explain it.
honestly it looked like a passive aggressive attack on me and my post. As though i was wrong and you wanted to capitalize on it.

honestly it looked like a passive aggressive attack on me and my post. As though i was wrong and you wanted to capitalize on it.
No, not all. The word looked interesting and I looked it up. And the more I looked the more fascinating the definition became.

It explains some of how life survives changes to its immediate environment without a change in its genetics. An actual change to the DNA could prevent the life form from being able to survive when conditions return to normal. The definition helps to explain that

Even though I think I understand the basics of what I was reading about the meaning of the word I still am not comfortable in explaining it, even to myself. ;)

certainly...studying how that happens is called epigentics...dna changes are mutations...not adaptations...im not sure what you are trying to

Personally, I don't see a thing wrong with enjoying a treat with coffee (and a smoke of course).
Spark up Canachris.
I've been doing my 10 o'clock coffee break for 48 years. 7 days a week 365, donuts hold a special place in my heart, as a kid me an my sister would go with dad to the donut shop on Sunday mornings and on the way home we would each eat a giant honey-dipped donuts I swear they were as big as my head. So even tho the donuts I get today are nowhere near as good, that 15 minutes with a donuts an cup of coffee get me thru the rest day

Back
Top Bottom