Gorilla Glue Gets Going

SoCal Edison sends a notice about the end of my grow…

1657388267391.png

Thanks for the encouragement! They're still taking up water and Chris, the big one, has plenty of white pistils. :-(

It's great that you're at 81± days. I'll have to check out your journal.
Oh I missed this.
I don't have a journal for this one. There's a couple of pictures of her in the auto section up to about 5 weeks?...I was doing a little experiment until I got sent the wrong nutes.

She's down now as it started throwing nanners.
20220708_195305.jpg

Oh I missed this.
I don't have a journal for this one. There's a couple of pictures of her in the auto section up to about 5 weeks?...I was doing a little experiment until I got sent the wrong nutes.

She's down now as it started throwing nanners.
20220708_195305.jpg
Wow, that's amazing! I'd love to be harvesting nugs that size.
Very nice!

I ended up harvesting most of Wilma on Sunday. That was day 117 above ground and after 70 days of flower.

The trichs at the top of the stems were ready to go but they got less mature as I moved toward the center of the plant. It was surprising how small Wilma was compared to Chris. In the tent, she takes up maybe 1/5 of the space but she had very few colas. She yielded far less than I was expecting. Mary, the tiny plant from the Gelato grow, ended up yielding 161 grams of nice nugs. Wilma will be about 70 gm, with maybe only 30 gm being good quality bud.

Given the weather here, I've decided to dry the crop in a spare fridge that's in the garage. The process was to bud wash, hang dry for a few hours, light trim, and then 28± gm in each bag. I put a letter grade on each bag as well as the gross weight and then into the fridge. I'm guessing that the total wet weight is just over 280 gm and there's not much more to get from Wilma. That's unfortunate and it drives home the point that I need to change how I "tend to" my plants or, more accurately, that I don't tend to my plants.

Once again, I'm seeing a huge variation in plants from the same seed packet. I've got two more 420 GG autos but can't say that I'm eager to use them for the next run.

These are the first branches I took off. They're about 38" long so the vertical growth is there; there just weren't many colas. In the bottom picture, the bag in the drawer on the top left shelf is a bag of RapidRooters. I'll be using those soon! :)
IMG_7420.jpeg
IMG_7438.jpeg

I forget - how many grams are there to a pound? ;-)

I just had to laugh about that!

Full disclosure - that includes the weight of the bag (31 grams) but that's not the full harvest. The bags in the fridge include the harvest from Wilma (≈ 360 grams wet or 80 grams dry) as well as the big nugs from Chris.

The good news - I can turn off that bloody air conditioner!

The bad news - you can see the RH and temps in the garage from the Pulse trace. That was enough to dry this crop in only three days. I had an Acurite sensor in one of the bags and it was reading 60% this AM so that's why I pulled everything out. I hope that it won't be over dried but drying in three days? It won't be a smooth smoke but I can use it in the vape.

Grabbed a bag out of the fridge to see how they're doing. That nug is soft so there's still a fair amount of moisture in it. It weighs 25 grams and is about 5 ½" long.

The weed that I put in the fridge was better quality. I just did a quick manual trim but I used the bowl trimmer on the rest of the crop.

Wilma yielded almost nothing compared to Chris but that's not surprising when you look at the root system for the plants (next to last picture).

Anyway, I know that I haven't posted much in the last week or so but it's only because I've been waiting to see how things turned out.

IMG_7483.jpeg
IMG_7485.jpeg
IMG_7486.jpeg

1657999046077.png

1657999214624.png

IMG_7479.jpeg

IMG_7487.jpeg

Day 130 above ground.

The harvest is in. Per above, some of the crop was dried in the fridge but the bulk was dried in paper bags in the tent. Drying in the tent turned out OK but I got tired of running the AC - the noise bugs me. I might have been able to get the bulk of the crop in the fridge but I chose not to even try that out of my concern that the fridge would be so full that air flow would be compromised. Something tells me I'm going to need a bigger fridge.

Most of the crop was dried and bagged a few days ago but I didn't chop the big nugs into pieces, even though that is the recommended approach. Leaving the stem in extends the drying time and I have no problem with that. For this grow, it means that the big nugs took all of 13 days to dry.

Wilma was harvested on 7/10 and Chris on 7/12 and, about an hour ago, I transferred the big nugs into their own Grove bag. That finishes the drying process for the whole crop.

The pictures I've posted over the course of the grow don't show how much Chris dominated the tent. In terms of frontage, Wilma took up ≈ 20% of the tent but there's also the volume of inflorescence. On that measure, Chris was vastly more abundant than Wilma. Once again, I'm in a situation where one plant explodes in growth compared to the other(s). It's frustrating and I need to figure out why that's happening.

Now that all is done (more will be said!), Wilma yielded only 139 grams (5 oz) whereas Chris yielded 574 grams (20.5 oz). Higher math tells me that's 4:1 which is pretty much what I gauged using the Mk IV eyeball approach.

These GG seeds were from 420 and I've got two seeds remaining in the packet. I've read somewhere that 420 is a reseller and that their quality control is not up to the same level as buying from a breeder. Rather than do another GG run, I decided to go with a site sponsor and ordered a packet of Strawberry Pie (auto) seeds.

The picture below is the family portrait. There's only one bag for Wilma, the rest is from Chris. The two ounce bags are for current consumption. I'll try that later today and see how well it smokes.

IMG_7497.jpeg

Congrats on a fantastic harvest man. Love to see lots of full Grove bags. Good call on the new seeds and good luck with your next grow.

Congrats on a great harvest delps. Them some nice weight numbers.:thumb:

Regarding the plant size difference between the two...
Do they share the same root space?
They may compete and one will lose?
Separate buckets may be a remedy...just thoughts.

I nearly germinated a strawberry pie auto yesterday by mistake...my wife wanted strawberry bannana auto and i have both, so noticed just in time and went with the sb. It may be the same breeder as you so I'll follow along when you start the strawberry pie.

Laters.

Congratulations on the awesome harvest Delps!

I might have been able to get the bulk of the crop in the fridge but I chose not to even try that out of my concern that the fridge would be so full that air flow would be compromised. Something tells
You can try my method sometime to squeeze it all in.

I use boxes from the grocery store (Pineapple boxes work best). They're super thick cardboard. I layer the bottom with paper bags just spread across the bottom.
I trim down to nugs, and place them evenly across the box. Then lay a bunch of paper bags across to create a seemless layer.
Nugs across the layer of paper bags again.
Repeat till the box is full, finishing with a layer of paper bags across the top.

It's faster, and I've yet to personally have any issues with my method. Just keep the fridge nice and cool.

You can see I've even done the same with just cardboard covering a layer in a fridge with paper bags on the top.

The box itself has a couple layers of nugs inside it.

Hope this helps if you ever decide to try it!

Congrats on a great harvest delps. Them some nice weight numbers.:thumb:

Regarding the plant size difference between the two...
Do they share the same root space?
They may compete and one will lose?
Separate buckets may be a remedy...just thoughts.

I nearly germinated a strawberry pie auto yesterday by mistake...my wife wanted strawberry bannana auto and i have both, so noticed just in time and went with the sb. It may be the same breeder as you so I'll follow along when you start the strawberry pie.

Laters.
Listers:

Yup, there's a lot of weed there. I had no idea it would end up being this much. Gotta figure out what to do with it.

The res is a tub that's about 1 meter x 57 cm x 35 cm. The only difference between being located on the left vs on the right is that the water intake for the water chiller pump is located to the right of center and the return line is close to the left side. I'd expect that the difference in temperature is minute because the pump runs constantly.

In addition to a picture of the res, I've attached a picture of each grow just before I started the harvest. The dates are 7/21, 1/22, and 7/22. Three grows and, in all cases, the plant on the right is dominant. The grows were Gorilla Glue autos from 420 for the July grows and Gelato from Nirvana for the grow that got harvested in January.

The Gelato grow started with four plants. Jeff was super-sized plant while the other three were the same size. I decided to cull two of the normal sized plants in favor of Jeff. I didn't cull any plants in the two GG grows.

A Mars SP 3000 was used for veg and flower for the 7/21 grow and used to veg the 1/22 and 7/22 grows. A Growcraft X3 was used to flower the 1/22 and 7/22 grows.

Nutes were the same for 7/21 and 1/22 (Botanicare Kind) but I switched to Jacks 3-2-0 for the last grow.

The only thing I can think of is "natural variation" but three in a row?

[edit]
"I nearly germinated a strawberry pie auto yesterday by mistake...my wife wanted strawberry bannana auto and i have both, so noticed just in time and went with the sb. It may be the same breeder as you so I'll follow along when you start the strawberry pie."
They're from Cannabis Seeds - Buy Autoflowering Weed Seeds | Fast Buds via North Atlantic Seed Company. Really looking to get the grow started but need to wait till the August heat (if we actually get any) passes.

IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_5563.jpeg
IMG_7283.jpeg

Congratulations on the awesome harvest Delps!
Thank you! I appreciate it!

You can try my method sometime to squeeze it all in.

I use boxes from the grocery store (Pineapple boxes work best). They're super thick cardboard. I layer the bottom with paper bags just spread across the bottom.
I trim down to nugs, and place them evenly across the box. Then lay a bunch of paper bags across to create a seemless layer.
Nugs across the layer of paper bags again.
Repeat till the box is full, finishing with a layer of paper bags across the top.

It's faster, and I've yet to personally have any issues with my method. Just keep the fridge nice and cool.

You can see I've even done the same with just cardboard covering a layer in a fridge with paper bags on the top.

The box itself has a couple layers of nugs inside it.

Hope this helps if you ever decide to try it!
That looks like a great idea. It combines the "low and slow" of the fridge method but it avoids the labor of putting tiny amounts of weed (1 oz wet) in lunch bags.

I will definitely use that approach for my upcoming grow.

Congrats on a fantastic harvest man. Love to see lots of full Grove bags. Good call on the new seeds and good luck with your next grow.
Thank you much for the kind words.

When I harvest, I sing the chorus portion of "Bringing in the sheaves", though with some changes to the lyrics!

One little downside to using fishing weights - gotta remember to take them off the branch. Check out the picture - the branch grew right around the hook that I was using.

IMG_7470.jpeg

Good Morning (for me) Delps,
I had no idea it would end up being this much. Gotta figure out what to do with it.
Good problem lol.
I've gone hash mad lately. Got myself a dry sift screen to process keif for hash..I had to stop myself or I'd have run out of flower.
Loads of different ways to make amazing concentrates.
The only thing I can think of is "natural variation" but three in a row?
autos are the mongrels of the seed world, so variation..yes, but three in a row is a tell that the system is playing a strong part.
These past two years I've exclusively grown fast buds or sweet seed autos. So I've grown a number of the same plant multiple times..dark devil auto I've grown 17 times.
Now I can't speak for the breeders you've used, in my experience I'd expect slight variables but not that difference.

started but need to wait till the August heat (if we actually get any) passes.
Same..but I was waiting out the July high heat here..good job as last week we had a record breaking heatwave...but last night I had the heating on :laugh: so back to normal British summer.
:passitleft:.

Good Morning (for me) Delps,

Good problem lol.
I've gone hash mad lately. Got myself a dry sift screen to process keif for hash..I had to stop myself or I'd have run out of flower.
Loads of different ways to make amazing concentrates.

autos are the mongrels of the seed world, so variation..yes, but three in a row is a tell that the system is playing a strong part.
These past two years I've exclusively grown fast buds or sweet seed autos. So I've grown a number of the same plant multiple times..dark devil auto I've grown 17 times.
Now I can't speak for the breeders you've used, in my experience I'd expect slight variables but not that difference.

Same..but I was waiting out the July high heat here..good job as last week we had a record breaking heatwave...but last night I had the heating on :laugh: so back to normal British summer.
:passitleft:.
Wow, very late reply.

I've love to try hash - it's been since I was in college (73-77). Very enjoyable but making hash? I've barely looked into it buy isn't it a few hundred USD to get the hardware?

An alternative is gummies. I've read direction but haven't gotten off my ass to do it. "Someday"!

"three in a row is a tell that the system is playing a strong part…I'd expect slight variables but not that difference" - agreed. 48 days to get to flower and another 70± for harvest. That does not seem normal. I don't know what else there is to try other than a small res but do I really want to change my grow so I get less weed?

"Same..but I was waiting out the July high heat here..good job as last week we had a record breaking heatwave...but last night I had the heating on
:laugh:
so back to normal British summer."
I saw that - it got pretty warm over there. Not to worry, the "average temperature" will be just right this winter, eh?

Don't mean to poke you too hard on that, please understand. Europe's going to have a hard time this winter.

I was hitchhiking around the UK in the summer of 1976. Hotter than I cared to be and I grow up in a British Colony (heat and humidity anyone?). I worked in a big hotel in Bowness on Windermere for a while, Then headed south to the flat in London. I was walking onto the ramp for the motorway with my thump out, hitchhiking. A black Rolls goes by and…stops. The driver's door opens, "Well, come on!", and I put my backpack in the trunk. He's the driver, no passenger so I hop in the front.

As we're driving down the motorway, the phone rings. Back then, it was a phone in a car. It's the missus on the phone. He's not the driver. Turns out he owns a construction company and they built most of the motorways in the south of England.

Hmm…

During the phone call, the caller (wife) asked about his double vision.

More hmm…

He tells me that his driver is on vacation so he's got to drive himself and his wife was concerned because sometimes his double vision flares up. The he turns to me and says "Oh, but you do have your driver's license, don't you?" :)

It was a great trip down to London and, when I got out, he forced me to take a £20 note. Could ask for a nicer guy or a better way to end a trip!

Hiya delps.
Good to see ya.

I've love to try hash -

isn't it a few hundred USD to get the hardware?
It can be done relatively cheaply, even extremely cheap if you knock the equipment up yourself. Lots of different ways to get kief and make hash. Some are complex others simple, I went for simplicity.
I use an old Afghan method of hash making..so it's pretty basic but works.

All you need is a simple micron mesh screen..frozen trim or bud, dry sifted for kief.
I purchased a brand dry sift tray ( trim bin) which cost £45 for simplicity but you can make a screen loads cheaper.The Afghans used silk cloth and such as screens.
I've shared an old video of a Afghan bloke making traditional hash simply with the kief...I'll send it to you in a pm if I still can.
An alternative is gummies. I've read direction but
yeah I'd like to have a go at these one day..but...there seems to be alot of steps in the process.

Hope the weather is good for you..all the best with the prep for the next grow. Looking forward to it.
:passitleft::thumb:

A good read on accuracy of PAR meters.
(Moderator's note: For the security of members we like to host all content on site. Delps' pdf link has therefore been converted into jpgs and posted below).

ANSTAAFL.

OTOH, how good is "good enough" seeing that we're dealing with plants not vectoring in to the space station.

I put some numbers into Excel and found that, based on the data from Chilled, multiplying the reading from a light meter by 0.016 yields a PPFD value that is just just over 1% low compared to my Growcraft X3 full cycle light for lux readings of 10,000 lux (162 µmols) to 70,000 lux (1,137µmols). That's pretty darn close.

A good read on accuracy of PAR meters.

ANSTAAFL.

OTOH, how good is "good enough" seeing that we're dealing with plants not vectoring in to the space station.

I put some numbers into Excel and found that, based on the data from Chilled, multiplying the reading from a light meter by 0.016 yields a PPFD value that is just just over 1% low compared to my Growcraft X3 full cycle light for lux readings of 10,000 lux (162 µmols) to 70,000 lux (1,137µmols). That's pretty darn close.
Good info.
Makes me feel a bit more confident in the measurements I've been using.
I use a uni-t lux meter then ×0.017.
So, close enough for me...I'm not after orbital mechanics either.

Cheers for that.

Back
Top Bottom