Glookie (V2) - Delps8 Does NASC/Barney's Farm Glookies In DWC Again

Rosin = decarbing and then pressing it? What's your setup like for that?

Also, your bike…is that a Yamaha shaftie?
If your not smoking or vaping it, then the rosin would need to be de-carbed.
I have a 6ton Dabpress. :)
Flower in a micron filter bag, pressed between parchment paper by preheated plates. The rosin is then collected, stored and/or treated in several ways for use. I have some rosin collected from 2022 in the freezer, that seems as good as the day it was pressed.:)

The bike is a Kawasaki C14. I hope to ride more this year.:)

If your not smoking or vaping it, then the rosin would need to be de-carbed.
I have a 6ton Dabpress. :)
Flower in a micron filter bag, pressed between parchment paper by preheated plates. The rosin is then collected, stored and/or treated in several ways for use. I have some rosin collected from 2022 in the freezer, that seems as good as the day it was pressed.
Sounds easy. As you move up the pressure scale, the plates get bigger = greater throughput?

:)

The bike is a Kawasaki C14. I hope to ride more this year.:)
Ah, got it. I like the sport touring design. Lotsa fun!

Hope you can get out when the weather warms up.

Sounds easy. As you move up the pressure scale, the plates get bigger = greater throughput?
I probably end up with at least four lbs per season, and press a good portion of the harvest if the strain is a good rosin maker. :hmmmm: :) Most are, but I've grown a couple of strains that just didn't produce much. :rolleyes:

Yea, bigger usually equals more surface area on bigger plates.:hmmmm::rolleyes: The spent pucks can be used to make tincture,....

I probably end up with at least four lbs per season, and press a good portion of the harvest if the strain is a good rosin maker. :hmmmm: :) Most are, but I've grown a couple of strains that just didn't produce much. :rolleyes:
Got it. Note to self- gwhunran does not grow in Solo cups. :)

Which strains are good yielders? I haven't grown enough to spot a difference…yet.

Yea, bigger usually equals more surface area on bigger plates.:hmmmm::rolleyes: The spent pucks can be used to make tincture,....
So it's "how fast do you want to squish?'.

Roughly how long would it take to process, say, 4 oz in the press that you're using?

Got it. Note to self- gwhunran does not grow in Solo cups. :)

Which strains are good yielders? I haven't grown enough to spot a difference…yet.
Most strains I've grown are good yielders, if we do our part. :) I try and find strains that appeal to me on their advertised smell taste and then look at advertised yields and examples in peoples journals. :hmmmm::)
So it's "how fast do you want to squish?'.

Roughly how long would it take to process, say, 4 oz in the press that you're using?
I usually take my time now, don't have the stamina to press all day. :rolleyes:

I press two pucks of 7grams or 14 grams total on each evolution. I collect both at once from the parchment paper and store the spent pucks. I'll average about a gram of rosin for those 14 grams of flower. I would say about 30-45 minutes to make a gram. It could be done faster if so desired.

For me rosins most important positive is storage. :)

1709761097169.png

The word for the day is "enervated". About 10 AM on Monday, it felt like I was "powering down". A bit light headed and lethargic. I got in to see a doctor yesterday and am on antibiotics so I think I've nipped it in the bud, so to speak.

I'm feeling poorly enough to not work but am feeling good enough so I feel somewhat guilty for not working. :)

So, I'm sucking wind, how are the plants doing? Mahvelous, dahling, just mahvelous.

I think the worst of the tip burn is over but I dropped 2 more gallons just to make sure. A couple of days ago, I put the doser in monitor mode and, sure enough, pH gradually rose, and hit 6.0 this AM but I'll add some Down to get back to 5.8.

Good water consumption at 0.6 gallons. That's pretty much in line with expectations. Just took the screenshot below. And then I zipped up the tent flaps.

1709762061490.png

She's now growing vertically pretty quickly so she's growing into the light a bit. The first set of readings:

1709762614987.png

Those values are just a hair over high end of the vaunted light saturation point for cannabis (800-1kµmol) but the leaves were praying.

Conventional wisdom says that's a really happy plant. Not going to argue about that - I've said that myself in fact - but I also have come to believe that the reason why plants pray is that the plant is getting so much light that hormones in the leaves are moving to the shaded side of the leaf to get out of the light stream. That reduces the number of photons the leaf is receiving and it would do that if the light levels were on the cusp of being too high. It looks really cool ("Wow, dude, beautiful plant.") but I sincerely believe it's right on the edge of being an "oops".

After dropping the wattage from 330 to 293 and the numbers look a lot better. Still a good amount of light but have stepped back from possibly damaging the plant.

1709763146661.png

Hope you are feeling better !!
Looks like she could use a little cal mag ..other than that she looks fantastic.

Most strains I've grown are good yielders, if we do our part. :) I try and find strains that appeal to me on their advertised smell taste and then look at advertised yields and examples in peoples journals. :hmmmm::)

I usually take my time now, don't have the stamina to press all day. :rolleyes:

I press two pucks of 7grams or 14 grams total on each evolution. I collect both at once from the parchment paper and store the spent pucks. I'll average about a gram of rosin for those 14 grams of flower. I would say about 30-45 minutes to make a gram. It could be done faster if so desired.

For me rosins most important positive is storage. :)
Thanks for the info.

So it's a process of very gradually squeezing the sap out of the plant. Well, of running a machine to squeeze out the sap.

[thinking takes place]

That might be part of a "refurb" of my grow space. One issue I've got is that I have don't have a solid work surface in my garage. Over the time I've been growing I've created a "table" out of a piece of press board 18" x 48" and that rests on a heavy duty shipping box for one of my computers. It's a hodgepodge collection of "OK, I can put this here".

If I use something other than a "plank on a box", it's a place that I could store and use a rosin press.

Once you creat the rosin, you store it in the fridge/freezer?

Hope you are feeling better !!
Looks like she could use a little cal mag ..other than that she looks fantastic.
In reference to…?

I think the tip burn and nute burn are in the rear view. They were brought on after the Bloom nute imbroglio in that the res that followed the Bloom notes was at the same PPM but it was too much of a good thing. It took a couple of days to get to the right level but that's when the tip burn + nute burn started.

If you're seeing something else, do tell.

BTW, I added back a couple of gallons today and I'm 3.9 gallons into this res with a true PPM of 395/500. That's still plenty of nutes in the tub but I suspect I'll be doing a new res in a week to 10 days.

How are you running your 69? VPD the control point?
Yes, VPD is huge to me, well, to my plant. Light ==> food, VPD drives transpiration which drives water and, therefore, nutrient uptake.

I just upgraded to the Pro+. I've got four ACI fans, their heater, and the little humidifier. Unfortunately, my light doesn't work with the controller or I'd add that as well.

Are you using their kit?

1710213880986.png

It really is quite something how well cannabis grows when you stop doing a foliar spray of H2O2 with your humidifier.

Yeh, go back and read that again.

Mr. Tightass "Show me the Data" dicked up royally with the H2O2 and, I'm pretty certain it damaged the plant. I started adding just a couple of drop to Hugh to cut back on algae. A couple of drops became a little squeeze of the bottle. About a week and a half ago, I caught myself - WTF? You yeh, jumped all over my dick on that.

At the same time, @No Pain was gently guiding me to buy a new air pump. I got that in the res and it does rock. Really, actually rock the plants. I was looking at the plant via the web cam and noticed the it was swaying a bit. I thought it was the fan speed being a bit high.

Nope! "Double, double toil and trouble; the pump hums and caldron bubbles."*

When I popped the top of the res, I looked like the bubbles has set up either a current or a standing wave and the entire wreath being moved around. I dropped the output level from the pump and, between the new pump and me no longer poisoning via cold mist, growth is now what I was expecting to see.

The foliage closest to Hugh is markedly immature compared to the rest of the plant so I strongly suspect I caused that. And it also makes me wonder if that's what pooched my grow from the Fall.

Enough of that.

Water's good…finally. 0.4 gallons yesterday and 0.6 today are a good sign. When I was poisoning my plant, there were days when I had to check water levels twice because the plant wasn't drinking. Boo, hiss to that and it's back on track now.

PPM is dropping steadily and pH is rising. Good stuff.

Lotsa light (what a surprise, eh!) - I checked this AM was averaging 941µmol and the buds looked great. It was either run the hamsters faster or drop the light. Since I'm at 306 now, that's > 90% so I decided to drop the light 1". That bumped my average PPFD by 50µmol. Yup, a 1"change in hang height got a 50µmol change in PPFD.

That one datum really…shines some light on the CW of "removing leaves from the canopy to let light get into the bud sites". I'm gung ho on getting light under the canopy but I'll use a light.

Fun fact - there is no usable PAR under the canopy. My buddy Shane and I did the same test about a year ago. I put the sensor for the Apogee directly under a leaf and, IIRC, 10% or somesuch hadn't been absorbed. Shane got the same number ± that I did. Not quite single digits but damned close. In theory, you could blast PAR into a leaf and get more than just stragglers and that's why I state "usable". Cannabis needs 64µmol to survive and you'll melt your plant before you'll get 64µmol coming out of the bottom of a leaf.

Shane referred to that as "penetration" and I've come to learn understand that "penetration" is does not mean penetrating a leaf rather it means just getting below the canopy. So that's actually a different discussion.

OK, back here in the tent. Light data. Two tables.

"Before" in column B and the matching, almost, reading in column D. I sampled 13 points, dropped the light, and sampled 14 which is why columns B and D have a different set of values. I sorted them both to try to match them. Not an exact match but it tells the story.

1710217143450.png
1710217248080.png

The second set of data reflects (oy!) the current values. The canopy is fairly even. The issue is that shitty Growcraft. :)

Here's the PPD map for my flower light:

1710217382242.png

Newer lights have a much better map but this is a three year old light so a five year old design. Note that there's good light in the center? What's in the center of a topped and LST'd plant? Riiiight - nothing.

That's the output I'm dealing with and the high PPFD values in my table are the buds on the center right. My Claus von Bulow imitation has impacted the left side of the wreath so there's not much there but the right side is doing fine and that's what's getting 1100+µmol.

They're all looking good, I gotta say. A big part of it is VPD + dropping PPM but let's hope that I don't do something else brilliant in the next 40± days and this one will be in the can.

Just read today that El Niño is collapsing so the two cool and moist to soaking wet winters that we've had will come to a close. La Niña will be picking up later in the year so my little few square mile patch of Mediterranean Warm Summer climate here SoCal will be warm and dry starting starting this summer. If I go just a few miles north, east, or south the Koppen climate type changes. Very strange but so is California.

I resurrected my PulseGrow and it's doing RH calibration as we speak. I cal'd the C69 sensor but decided I really want a second opinion. I'll drop the Pulse in the tent in the AM and the bounce the C69 off the Pulse.

Watched an interesting vid about VPD. When the topic of RH in flower came up, the opinion of the panel was that 60 is the new 50. The consensus was that there's simply no need to drop RH to 50 in flower to get good results and, as long as you've got decent air flow, 60 will do fine through all but the last couple of weeks of flower. Also discussed was the value of dropping temperature in the last few weeks. That's in the playbook for me.

IMG_1507.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg

If I'm able to get Hugh off the floor, it's still going to be a tight squeeze to get two mature plants in there. I'll continue to top my plants but I won't be doing a lot of LST. ATM, she's 28" across so I'd need to switch back to a more traditional shape.

*A slight modification from a scene in a play by thatShakespeare fellow

Yes, VPD is huge to me, well, to my plant. Light ==> food, VPD drives transpiration which drives water and, therefore, nutrient uptake.

I just upgraded to the Pro+. I've got four ACI fans, their heater, and the little humidifier. Unfortunately, my light doesn't work with the controller or I'd add that as well.

Are you using their kit?
I am indeed. The 69pro. I’m in the same boat as you with the lights. I’m currently running their exhaust fan and small humidifier. Circulating fans I think would work with it but I have no need.

I will probably pick up their heater as well. Right now I’m running a small forced air heater with an inkbird.

So far I’m super impressed with their product, their customer service however…..

I’m also using VPD and it seems to work great. I need tk grab a new battery for my IR thermometer so that I can set the leaf offset correctly though. As of now I have it set to -2°.

Thanks for the info.

So it's a process of very gradually squeezing the sap out of the plant. Well, of running a machine to squeeze out the sap.

[thinking takes place]

That might be part of a "refurb" of my grow space. One issue I've got is that I have don't have a solid work surface in my garage. Over the time I've been growing I've created a "table" out of a piece of press board 18" x 48" and that rests on a heavy duty shipping box for one of my computers. It's a hodgepodge collection of "OK, I can put this here".

If I use something other than a "plank on a box", it's a place that I could store and use a rosin press.

Once you creat the rosin, you store it in the fridge/freezer?
Morning Delps8, I just put a towel and wide wood board on the washing machine and do my pressing. :) It's about the right height for me. :) After I'm done, i just pick the press up and put it aside, out of the way. And yes your just slowly pressing the oils from the flower and leaving the plant matter behind. The spent puck, still contains some goodness, so it can be used to make tincture at least.:)

Morning Delps8, I just put a towel and wide wood board on the washing machine and do my pressing. :) It's about the right height for me. :) After I'm done, i just pick the press up and put it aside, out of the way. And yes your just slowly pressing the oils from the flower and leaving the plant matter behind. The spent puck, still contains some goodness, so it can be used to make tincture at least.:)
Hola!

I've got squat for working space in the garage but I do have a washer and dryer!

Thanks for the info.

I am indeed. The 69pro. I’m in the same boat as you with the lights. I’m currently running their exhaust fan and small humidifier. Circulating fans I think would work with it but I have no need.

I will probably pick up their heater as well. Right now I’m running a small forced air heater with an inkbird.

So far I’m super impressed with their product, their customer service however…..

I’m also using VPD and it seems to work great. I need tk grab a new battery for my IR thermometer so that I can set the leaf offset correctly though. As of now I have it set to -2°.
Kindred spirits.

I'm glad I got the heater. It's quite compact and the fact that it's dynamic and has up to 10 speeds is just a great idea.

I used an Inkbird, as well (in my grow journals you'll see, I referred to them as "Wetbird" and "Hotbird"). It was good kit at the time, but AC Infinity came along and just kicked over everyone else's toys.

All the products that I've used have been very good. Truly good engineering and good build quality, so I have no complaints there. I don't understand their design approach to their grow lights. The only thing I can think of is that they're appealing to a crowd that wants a nice tent and has no interest or knowledge of "the light saturation point".

On the customer service side, though, that's the second recent reference I've seen to lousy customer service. I'm sorry to hear that. That has not been my case, I have to admit, but when call then again, I will mention it.

Re. the -2 leaf temperature offset — that seems to be pretty common. Mine does vary, sometimes to as much as -4°, but generally speaking, it's been -2°F.

Have you calibrated your controller? I calibrated mine, temperature and RH, at the beginning of the grow of this grow but I want a second opinion so I resurrected my PulseGrow. Once it finishes calibrating, I'll use it to calibrate the controller 69 again, just to be sure.

Kindred spirits.

I'm glad I got the heater. It's quite compact and the fact that it's dynamic and has up to 10 speeds is just a great idea.

I used an Inkbird, as well (in my grow journals you'll see, I referred to them as "Wetbird" and "Hotbird"). It was good kit at the time, but AC Infinity came along and just kicked over everyone else's toys.

All the products that I've used have been very good. Truly good engineering and good build quality, so I have no complaints there. I don't understand their design approach to their grow lights. The only thing I can think of is that they're appealing to a crowd that wants a nice tent and has no interest or knowledge of "the light saturation point".

On the customer service side, though, that's the second recent reference I've seen to lousy customer service. I'm sorry to hear that. That has not been my case, I have to admit, but when call then again, I will mention it.

Re. the -2 leaf temperature offset — that seems to be pretty common. Mine does vary, sometimes to as much as -4°, but generally speaking, it's been -2°F.

Have you calibrated your controller? I calibrated mine, temperature and RH, at the beginning of the grow of this grow but I want a second opinion so I resurrected my PulseGrow. Once it finishes calibrating, I'll use it to calibrate the controller 69 again, just to be sure.
I just got a battery today for my IR thermometer and there is a wide spectrum of temperature from tops and bottoms of the plants and from what I could see at that point is that I’m sticking with the -2° offset. Just seems like it will fall into the average. I will need to take some lights out readings to get a better idea though.

I just got their small humidifier and I love it with combination of the 69pro, the ramping up and down is really nice. I will likely grab their heater as well, I’m sure it works great and I feel like it might be a tad safer than what I’m currently using.

I have not calibrated it for temp or rh though I should probably do that!!

Are you using the salt method for RH? And temp, ice water?

I just got a battery today for my IR thermometer and there is a wide spectrum of temperature from tops and bottoms of the plants and from what I could see at that point is that I’m sticking with the -2° offset. Just seems like it will fall into the average. I will need to take some lights out readings to get a better idea though.
This is where I got my feet wet on VPD. It's a quick read and I think it says to sample the physical structures around the canopy and then sample spots in the canopy.

"all" leaves transpire but the majority of the air flows over the canopy. I suspect that's why the leaf surface temperature should be determined by getting the temperature of the leaves at the top of the canopy.

I will use the ambient temperature plus take a couple of readings of the tent, walls to track my ambient and then just shoot a couple of spots around the canopy to determine the leaf surface temperature. I agree that there can be a significant variation across the canopy.

I just got their small humidifier and I love it with combination of the 69pro, the ramping up and down is really nice. I will likely grab their heater as well, I’m sure it works great and I feel like it might be a tad safer than what I’m currently using.
Hear, hear! That little humidifier surely does its thing, doesn't it?

What are you using now for a heater?

I have not calibrated it for temp or rh though I should probably do that!!

Are you using the salt method for RH? And temp, ice water?
I've used the salt method a few times, but I decided to spend six bucks on a "calibration kit" from Boveda. It's just a 75% Rh packet but it's no muss no fuss. For temperature, crushed ice will do but I use to read thermometers and keep those two point calibrated so I just open the Insta read and it picks up the ambient immediately.

Temperature is the easy one, it's the RH that drives everyone batty!

Hear, hear! That little humidifier surely does its thing, doesn't it?

What are you using now for a heater?
Yeah I really like the humidifier!

I’m using a small forced air heater and it works great. I’m just concerned with the fire hazard….
I've used the salt method a few times, but I decided to spend six bucks on a "calibration kit" from Boveda. It's just a 75% Rh packet but it's no muss no fuss. For temperature, crushed ice will do but I use to read thermometers and keep those two point calibrated so I just open the Insta read and it picks up the ambient immediately.
That’s a great idea on the RH pack. I have an order I need to place tonight, will add that to the cart!

I have a few different thermometers, but not an insta read oddly enough, that might go in the cart tonight as well actually…

I will have to get those calibrated this weekend, but I don’t think either are off by much as the temp seems in line with the inkbird and the VivoSun little desktop temp/rh meter that’s in there. Same with RH but should still calibrate them to ensure my setup is correct.

the reason I said cal/mag was due to the yellowing that i saw in this picture. However if you where having nutrient issues that would explain it .
1710289763296.png

the reason I said cal/mag was due to the yellowing that i saw in this picture. However if you where having nutrient issues that would explain it .
1710289763296.png
There's a slight discoloration in some of the leaves. It could be an issue but the flower light, with the heavy red spectrum, throws off color balance. I try to color correct but, as you can see from the red bands on the res top, sometimes I can't easily get things corrected. It is a bit of a pain in the ass, to be frank.

1710605542477.png

I am putting in a new res today. I've added back 25% of the res and PPM is 650/500± to 380/500 so it's time.

When I checked the tent last night, the PPM value in the monitor was fluctuating by 10 points every few seconds. 380, 370, 360 and then back up to 390 and 400. That was really strange. How can the EC actually fluctuate like that? Yikes!

I suspect that it's the 7 year old monitor finally giving up the ghost. And the bad news is that you can't replace just the EC probe. :-( Right now, a new monitor is $420, quite a coincidence, don't think? I wonder if that price will change on 4/20?

It'll be lights on in about 40 minutes so I'll know if I need a new monitor RSN. If not, I might need a new plant! :)

Back
Top Bottom