Glookie (V2) - Delps8 Does NASC/Barney's Farm Glookies In DWC Again

I just happened to be in the garden and I took the picture before I saw this. when you put it through the chiller doesn't it balance out the res meaning your res is circulating through the chiller right ?
Pump in the res pushes water out to the chiller and then back.

That is a Great chart ! The reason I bring up the beneficial bacteria is because I went through the same thing and it mainly happened during the flowering phase and drove me batty. when I redesigned things and stopped using beneficial bacteria, guess what happened, lol . A more normal fluctuation. I will see if I can located the article that takes about that.
Sorry to hear that. I hope it wan't anything like what I went through!

Re article about bennies - that would be really interesting to read. Please forward the link if you can find it. Much appreciated.

pump in the res pushes water out to the chiller and then back.
hmm ..if you are up for it and want to give me the dimensions of your res I could come up with a modification for you that would not only make it a recirculating system with an external pump but also a way to regulate your ph outside with ease as well as changing solution and checking solution. Minimal investment for parts and space needed. did i mention even the possobilty of eliminating air stones and air pump :).
Sorry to hear that. I hope it wan't anything like what I went through!
thank you. It was a nightmare it was so bad it was almost like i needed to stay in there or have a ph meter in the system connected to wifi so i could watch it . lol Not to mention res changes etc etc etc..
Re article about bennies - that would be really interesting to read. Please forward the link if you can find it. Much appreciated.
I will look for it .

hmm ..if you are up for it and want to give me the dimensions of your res I could come up with a modification for you that would not only make it a recirculating system with an external pump but also a way to regulate your ph outside with ease as well as changing solution and checking solution. Minimal investment for parts and space needed. did i mention even the possobilty of eliminating air stones and air pump :).
I appreciate the enthusiasm and the offer and I'll take you up on the offer. Thank you.

But wait! There's more!

As of this afternoon, adding Up is no longer a pressing issue:

1708908033104.png

I got the doser last Fall but never put it into service. I was planning on doing that for this grow but, as I mentioned earlier, I had one of those "life gets in the way" weeks. Now that's all settled so I got it set up and it should be running its first dose in the next hour or two.

Even though the doser will handle pH for me (one direction at a time, granted), there's still tremendous value in being able to "tap into" the water circulation system and, insofar as an external res, yes! that is something that I'm interested in.

A couple of weeks ago, I started thinking about moving to a different setup. Though it would be a squeeze, I think a 4' x 4' tent would fit in place of my current 2' x 4'. Over the years I've looked at setups from Current Culture and PA Hydro but I also am interested in building my own in terms of using a large, insulated cooler/ice chest rather than a standard grow bucket.
So, yes, if you've got some ideas, please do share them. Much appreciated!

thank you. It was a nightmare it was so bad it was almost like i needed to stay in there or have a ph meter in the system connected to wifi so i could watch it . lol Not to mention res changes etc etc etc..
Yup, a total goat rope.

I will look for it .
Thank you. That sounds like it might be helpful.

Parameters of Growth.png

I appreciate the enthusiasm and the offer and I'll take you up on the offer. Thank you.

But wait! There's more!

As of this afternoon, adding Up is no longer a pressing issue:

1708908033104.png

I got the doser last Fall but never put it into service. I was planning on doing that for this grow but, as I mentioned earlier, I had one of those "life gets in the way" weeks. Now that's all settled so I got it set up and it should be running its first dose in the next hour or two.

Even though the doser will handle pH for me (one direction at a time, granted), there's still tremendous value in being able to "tap into" the water circulation system and, insofar as an external res, yes! that is something that I'm interested in.

A couple of weeks ago, I started thinking about moving to a different setup. Though it would be a squeeze, I think a 4' x 4' tent would fit in place of my current 2' x 4'. Over the years I've looked at setups from Current Culture and PA Hydro but I also am interested in building my own in terms of using a large, insulated cooler/ice chest rather than a standard grow bucket.
So, yes, if you've got some ideas, please do share them. Much appreciated!

Yup, a total goat rope.

Thank you. That sounds like it might be helpful.

Parameters of Growth.png

alrighty lets do this ! give me the dimensions of your current set up meaning res length, width and depth and do you have room for something the size of a five gallon bucket outside of your tent ?

Thanks for the link.

I know the site and have read quite a few of his postings. Lots of good info there.

I was psyched to try HydroBuddy but I wasn't able to get things set up correctly so I bailed on it. I did poke my nose into calculating elemental PPM's for a while. It was interesting but just using a spreadsheet was more than enough for me.

Re hypoxia - my grow never got to the level of root rot. The only "tell" was that the plant didn't seem to be growing very quickly. I've grown mainly autos and they just take off but they trained very differently than my last few grows.

The photo grows I've done have all been "a shrubbery". They've topped and heavily LST'd and it's very hard to determine how fast it's growing because they've been so flat. All in all, I didn't have the knowledge and experience to suspect that they were low on O2 and it's a great illustration of a monstrous fallacies undergirding "read the plant", but that's another discussion.

My theory of "not enough bubbles" is only a few hours old. I'm going to check the tent again (I was out for a run) and see what the dimensions are. Last time I checked she was about 24" in diameter and about 9" tall. That was maybe a week ago so I would expect there to be some growth but the big change for me was in the tent cam photo of yesterday vs today.

56/8.0/9 - days above ground/wee.day/days in flower

Wow. Marked growth and 0.6 gallons of water since yesterday.

Repeat after me "Correlation is not causation. Correlation is no causation."

Repeat after me "If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck then it's a duck."

Conclusion — it's a witch!

And we know this because…the plant is a shrubbery! :)

Yeh, it's "got" to be the O2 issue. The change is obvious and it's occurred overnight. I just now checked each air stone and one of them was putting out zero bubbles. Checked the air lines at the pump and, when I put my hand near the pump, I could feel air moving. Huh?

Yup, one of the air hoses had a slit in it and air was leaking out so that was 25% of my air flow gone.

I suspect that this is was the problem with my 2302. It just never "took off". I did my "AAR" ("after action review") but didn't do a, pardon the pun, root cause analysis so I had no chance to understand why it failed. Dollars to doughnuts, that's what it was.

My thinking is that this condition has been around for maybe a couple of weeks so I've lost weeks' worth of growth, maybe two.

Took these a few minutes ago.
IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

OK, back to work…

56/8.0/9 - days above ground/wee.day/days in flower

Wow. Marked growth and 0.6 gallons of water since yesterday.

Repeat after me "Correlation is not causation. Correlation is no causation."

Repeat after me "If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck then it's a duck."

Conclusion — it's a witch!

And we know this because…the plant is a shrubbery! :)

Yeh, it's "got" to be the O2 issue. The change is obvious and it's occurred overnight. I just now checked each air stone and one of them was putting out zero bubbles. Checked the air lines at the pump and, when I put my hand near the pump, I could feel air moving. Huh?

Yup, one of the air hoses had a slit in it and air was leaking out so that was 25% of my air flow gone.

I suspect that this is was the problem with my 2302. It just never "took off". I did my "AAR" ("after action review") but didn't do a, pardon the pun, root cause analysis so I had no chance to understand why it failed. Dollars to doughnuts, that's what it was.

My thinking is that this condition has been around for maybe a couple of weeks so I've lost weeks' worth of growth, maybe two.

Took these a few minutes ago.
IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

OK, back to work…
glad that you got it all figured out and in good time and know that you did that simply because you where paying attention and looking for answers and not limiting yourself. Could you take a picture of the stones you are currently using as well as your air pump for me? Also with this new redisign know that o2 in the root zone will no longer be an issue. :)

glad that you got it all figured out and in good time and know that you did that simply because you where paying attention and looking for answers and not limiting yourself.
Something's been in the back of my mind for a while about this grow and that's one reason it took a long time for me to add to the journal.

The plant was growing but it wasn't GROWING like I was used to. I thought it was that I've grown mostly autos but, the brutal truth is that this same issue may have been why the plant in my last grow just sorta stopped and I decided to trash it and start again.

At that time, I wasn't too concerned about it because I knew that I would end up starting another grow before the June deadline. But with this issue cropping up, it might be because I changed how I manage my reservoir and didn't think it through.

As a result of that change, I wasn't swapping the res as often as before and that meant that I wasn't taking pictures of my roots. I might have noticed it when I looked at the pictures but, I dunno. Of all the things, eh?

Could you take a picture of the stones you are currently using as well as your air pump for me? Also with this new redisign know that o2 in the root zone will no longer be an issue. :)
Pictures? How about clip art?

Don't mean the hold ya back but I don't mean for you to fire up the ArchiCAD over this. :)

I'm fine with a textual description or, if you're doing some sort of drawing, just use clip art or squares. Simple works.

The air stones are little guys from BubbleMac, air pump is 6 watt or something, and the res is the SuperPonics 12XL which is 39.5x22.5x14.0

My horizontal space is very restricted. There is no room to the left. To the right is a set of shelves, 14" tall, and that spot is where the heater is located. I can move the heater.

I'm considering one of these. The downside for that is that it's only about 10 gallons of nutes. I really like the stability of having 26 gallons.

Another idea would be a PA Hydro single 13 gallon bucket + an external res.

The above are just some systems that I like. I'm interested to see what you suggest.

Something's been in the back of my mind for a while about this grow and that's one reason it took a long time for me to add to the journal.

The plant was growing but it wasn't GROWING like I was used to. I thought it was that I've grown mostly autos but, the brutal truth is that this same issue may have been why the plant in my last grow just sorta stopped and I decided to trash it and start again.

At that time, I wasn't too concerned about it because I knew that I would end up starting another grow before the June deadline. But with this issue cropping up, it might be because I changed how I manage my reservoir and didn't think it through.

As a result of that change, I wasn't swapping the res as often as before and that meant that I wasn't taking pictures of my roots. I might have noticed it when I looked at the pictures but, I dunno. Of all the things, eh?
this is all a learning process "I find success in my failures not shame or disappointment."
Pictures? How about clip art?
I am fine with whatever works for you.
Don't mean the hold ya back but I don't mean for you to fire up the ArchiCAD over this. :)

I'm fine with a textual description or, if you're doing some sort of drawing, just use clip art or squares. Simple works.
ArchiCAD lol I like the way you think. I'm more of a ruff drawing guy and pictures.
The air stones are little guys from BubbleMac, air pump is 6 watt or something, and the res is the SuperPonics 12XL which is 39.5x22.5x14.0
I looked at stones i can tell you that you are going to need bigger ones and more of them along with a bigger air pump for the 26 gallons she is sitting in now without any mods to it . For the root zone in hydroponics its all about aeration and with how you are set up its a Kratky set up with air supplementation. You are hold almost as much for 1 plant as I am running for 4. I use a at120 air pump and custom made diffusers that are similar to their bio weave for the cost of one of theirs I can make 30 :) and have no issues showing you how given you want to go that route.
My horizontal space is very restricted. There is no room to the left. To the right is a set of shelves, 14" tall, and that spot is where the heater is located. I can move the heater.

I'm considering one of these. The downside for that is that it's only about 10 gallons of nutes. I really like the stability of having 26 gallons.

Another idea would be a PA Hydro single 13 gallon bucket + an external res.

The above are just some systems that I like. I'm interested to see what you suggest.
okay If you would like a bucket system I can help you build one. I would not concern myself with it only holding 10 gallons at all, with good nutes and aeration, circulation along with temp control stability will not be an issue. (how many plants are you wanting to grow at a time ? ) if only one then i would be looking more towards 8-5 gallon buckets pipe them together and one is the res and the other is the growing pod and you have twice the solution and easy Maintenace and res changes to say the least .

so for example. You say No Pain I want a bucket system..my suggestion would be to get two of these buckets and two of these lids the get three of these bulkheads a length of 2 inch pvc pipe and 2 90 degree elbows and then 2 inch to threaded 3/4 reducer bushing and a 3/4 valve threaded valve and length of 3/4 inch pvc and two 3/4 inch threaded male adapters along with one filter and length of 3/4 vinyl tubing and one pvc tubing adapter now for the pump. Cant forget two 8 inch net pots one is a spare . you now have a mini rdwc system like mine only thing that needs to be added is the air pump and aerator which i am more than happy to put in links if this is the route you would like to go. :)

I use a lot of air in my 17 gal res., no chiller, so res temp is ambient to the room, which is ACed but not ideal for res temp. 35watt air pump. Really stirs up the water. :)

Blueberry reservoir roiling (3).JPG

17 gallon reservoir, using 35 watt air pump and 4" and 6" air stones.

Res running to overflow (1).JPG

Water pump in operation with water level at overflow in tray.

CO2 sys set up 2024 grows (3).JPG

35 watt air pump top right of frame. Don't have a picture of the stones but they're cylindrical. Air lines not hooked up in pic. Taken between grows. It's all hooked up now and ready to go in March. :)

58/8.2/11

Cranking right along

Not a lot of water consumption, just 0.2 gallons over night. PPM is steady at 750/500 and the doser hasn't run today or yesterday. pH is sitting at 5.8.

I just wanted to let folks know that I'm still in the game. I'll check in later and read all the neat stuff y'all have posted.

This just in…

Got a promo email since I have the PulseGrow. I retired the Pulse when I got the AC Infinity Controller 69. The C69 is smaller, responds more quickly, and it does stuff (like run my whole grow). One reason I ordered the Zero is because it's cheap and because it's a fall back option in the event that my C69 goes belly up.

And I finally have water uptake. My grow journal entries for the past few days. Not a lot time in the tent.

1709325785941.png

I enter most data without decimal places. No need. The 107 and 100 values are the measures on the water stick, in mm. 1mm=0.12 gallons.

No light readings. Trust me, there's lots. :)

1709325656939.png

60/8.4/13

The wreath has grown! Not in leaps and bounds, mind you, but it is starting to "lift" up from the top of the res and starting to thin itself out. Seeing lots of buds forming. That's great news because inventory is running low! I had to grind up some weed tonight and I'm down to the last couple of bags from 2022. Yeh, wow, I didn't have a successful grow in 2023. Yikes!

Well, this young lady is coming along but I've got to admit, I'm getting impatient. I think it's because my recollection is from back when I grew autos and they'd be 3' tall by now. And then I switched to photos and my two shrubbery-style grows didn't pan out. So, yeh, I guess I'm a little anxious see things start to take off.

Weather has been superb and everything is working well in the tent.

Temps in the tent have ranged from highs 80-85 and 70-76 at night. The current temps are 76 at night and then 78 through 84 as the light heats the tent over the course of the day. That temperature range is due to the mild weather (so the garage doesn't get really cold) but also because the Controller 69 runs the humidifier.

VPD has been, on average, exactly where I set it, with fluctuations of 0.1± units during the day and just under 1.2 at night. It's taken a bit of adjustment to figure out the right settings for the different devices but RH runs in a range of humidities between 3% above and 3% below what's needed to keep VPD on target.

Once the light goes out, that Controller 69 works with the heater to keep the temp at 76°. The humidifier will kick in to keep VPD in range but that's not likely to happen.

All of that of automation for, what, $200? And the only time VPD isn't on track is when I've got the tent open.

The doser has been great. It's been running for four days, with the first day being busy and then…nothing. Very strange! I'm used a drop right at flip and then rising pH. With the Bloom nutes, it was fast and furious dropping and then very steady since going back to normal nutes. I am not complaining but it struck me as strange. I didn't have a lot of water uptake for a while and…

I was seeing some nute burn so I dropped a couple of gallons. That got me from 760/500 to 720/500. There's also some tip burn which I seem to think is a function of VPD. I've been at VPD of 1.2 but I'm thinking of dropping to 1.1 to and/or dropping PPM a bit. Thoughts?

Another symptom has been water uptake. None for one day, 1/4 gallon, and 1/2 gallon after I dropped the PPM. Might not be a bad idea to drop another gallon and see what that does.

I haven't changed anything with the lights so she's growing into the light a bit. 1100µmol is a lot of light. I'll check them closely tomorrow.

1709356983081.png

Family photos

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

Two equipment changes - I'm getting an 18watt 500GPH air pump and a new AC Infinity oscillating fan. I'm not going to be able to hit "full boil" mode with this air pump but it's almost double the size of the pump that came with the res to that should make sure to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom