Oct 2022 - Auto Grow - 4 Different Strains - AutoPots - Coco

Oct. 2022 - Auto Grow

I'll post some of the handy details here and follow up with photos in the next thread.

4 Strains: All AutoFlowers (Fem)
(a) Purple Lemonade - 70 Indica / 30% Sativa (42 Fastbuds)
(b) Critical Purple - 10% Ruderalis / 90% Indica (Grower's Choice)
(c) Knows Candy - Hybrid Lineage: Trizzler x Muchacha (No %)
(d) Gorilla Glue - 60% Sativa / 40% Indica

First plants to Germinate were on October 24.
1) Purple Lemonade, Critical Purple
2) 1 x Knows Candy followed the next day
3) A 2nd Knows Candy and Gorilla Glue followed 2 days after the first group.

As of this post, the oldest group is on Day 7 of Germination (Oct 30).

For simplicity sake, they will be group together once the oldest complete Week 2. For example, despite a few days of separation during Germination, starting Week 3 all 5 final plants will be called Week 3. I have 6 seedlings as of today, but can only grow 5 at a time.

Environmental Conditions:

Their Penthouse is a Pest-Free Mars Hydro 4' x 4' tent. They are indoors in a climate controlled space. So, keeping proper VPD is usually not a problem.

Their artificial sun is 2 each of the Mars Hydro SP-3000 lights. The tent is also equipped with a portable oil heater (as needed) and I always have a humidifier going when needed.

Their roots are pampered in a Coco Coir Mix that is 60% CC, 20% perlite and 20% Vermiculite.

They are perpetually watered and fed through a 12-gallon reservoir attached to 4 x 5-gallon fabric AutoPots. This phase will start around week 4. Until then I am ramping up my nutrients, which are based around Jack's 3-2-1 recipe.

Note: The AutoPots are kitted with the new AirBase and with modified AirDomes.

Extra Note: The 5th plant will sit in the middle of the other 4 in a SIP Bucket. More on that to follow.

Nutrients & Supplements:

I feed using the Jack's 3-2-1 system.

First week of feeding is 33%, 2nd week is 50%, and 3rd week is 75% of final recipe totals.

I supplement with Mono-Silicic Acid, Mr. Fulvic and occasional treats of Recharge, Enzymes and more mycorrhizae and beneficials like Tribus.

More on Lighting:

I track environmental VPD and follow the principals of DLI for my lighting.

For example for Autos on a 20/4 light schedule: (Source - Migro)

Recommended LED PPF/PAR Values / DLI Based on 20 hrs. of light.

1) Seedlings ------- 150 - 200 umol / DLI 10.80 - 14.4 moles per day
2) Veg up to 9" --- 450 umol / DLI 32.40 moles per day
3) Early bloom --- 500 umol / DLI 36.00 moles per day
4) Mid bloom ---- 650 umol / DLI 46.80 moles per day
5) Late bloom --- 750 umol / DLI 54.00 moles per day
6) Ripen ----------- 400 umol / DLI 28.80 moles per day

*** Use extreme caution going 700 umol or higher @ 20 hrs/day this could cause leaf burn***

I'll post my complete "expected" Grow Plan later in the thread.

Photos to follow ...

Photos of Part of my Setup:

AirPot Before Air Dome.JPG

AirPot Set Up.JPG

AirDomes Top View.JPG

AirDome Underneath Tubing.JPG
AirDome With Stone.JPG
AirDome Fabric Before Weight.JPG
AirDome With Tight Fabric.JPG
12 Gallon Reservoir.JPG

Germ Tent:

The ladies are well taken care of in their 2 x 4 tent. There's a heater and 2 humidifiers to keep of the high RH that they need.

The first few days, I watered gently with a mix of RO water, root stimulator, Great White liquid mycorrhizae and a proprietary beneficial bacteria known as Beauveria bassiana. It is sold under the brand name Prime Superior.

Once the more mature plants were at least 2 inches they started getting a light mix of Jack's 3-2-1. I know it might be a few more day before they start up taking nutrients other the Cotyledon juice. At least it will be in the soil if they want it.

Grow Tent on Germ Day 6.JPG

GermDay 6 Group Shot.JPG

Above: Pictures were from yesterday (Germ Day 6 for the oldest)

Sharing My Wicking Bucket Info:

I just don't have the heart to go with 4 plants, one for each AutoPot. So, I decided to put a wicking SIP bucket in the tent as well.

To help with keeping the plants as even as possible, I went with a 3-1/2 gallon bucket instead of 5. I'm hoping the shorter profile, and less soil, will help keep the plant smaller and more even with the other plants.

The brand I am using is GroBucket. I used this this last growing season for veggies and they worked great.

If this is new to
you, I'll post a series of 3 collages that walk through the components.

Remember, these are designed for a 5-gallon bucket, that's why the PVC tube sticks up so high.
Collage 1 for Wick.png
Collage 2 for Wicking Small.jpg
Collage 3 of Wick Small.jpg

Germ Day 7 - Pics and Notes:

The first thing that stands out is how much bigger Gorilla Glue is compared to Knows Candy #2. Gorilla was hatched one day later.

Gorilla Glue is almost as big as the plants that Germed 3 days earlier.

I continue watering from the bottom small amounts at a time. Most suck the fluid right up. However, when I notice there is still fluid in the saucer when I check back later I pour it out.

I am damned determined not to overwater this batch like I did last time.

All but Knows Candy #2 are getting a 33% strength of their full strength Jack's 3-2-1. I'm waiting to see if it makes its way out of being the runt of the litter.

KC#2 is getting a mix of Root Stimulant (1/3 dose for all), Mr. Fulvic and mono-silicic acid.

Tomorrow, I'll call the 7-Day Germs (from today) Week 1 Veg, and all will be Week 2 Veg the following week (growth dependent).

Day 7 Germ Top View of Group.JPG
Day 7 Germ Angle View.JPG

Critical Purple Germ Day 7.JPG
Gorilla Glue Germ Day 3.JPG
Knows Candy #1 Germ Day 6 CU.JPG
Knows Candy #2 Germ Day 4.JPG
Purple Lemonade #1&2 Germ Day 7.JPG

Excellent start to your grow journal @ExNavyInSTL

Nice strain selection.
How long do you wait before you place them in the SIP?

You mentioned overwatering last grow; you may want to take a quick look at this to see if it helps.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

I just don't have the heart to go with 4 plants, one for each AutoPot. So, I decided to put a wicking SIP bucket in the tent as well.

SIP buckets have become all the rage here on 420 lately. I find it interesting that you're new here and are also using them.

SIP buckets have become all the rage here on 420 lately. I find it interesting that you're new here and are also using them.

I used a bunch of SIPS this growing season for my traditional crops. :cool:

This stack is in my garage, much to my wife's dismay. If you look closely, I even built a SIP bucket stand that holds 6 - 8 buckets total for next year's outdoor crop.

Buckets in the Garage.JPG

Once I transplant this is the final resting place.

4 x 4 Set Up.JPG

Once I add the nutes I'll turn the bucket slightly to see the plant head on. I added this 14" saucer to catch the inevitable overflow out of the side hole.

SIP Bucket.JPG

TR:

I'm letting the roots grow out some before transplanting into the AutoPots.

Hopefully, I'll see signs of roots sneaking out of the drain hole next week.

The goal is to stay measured and follow the 2-week rule for turning on the reservoir and the air supply to the roots.

This works out great for my gradual plan to full-strength nutrients: 1/3 this week, 50% after and then 75%. I'm not sure this much of a weening period is necessary, so I'll just let the plants guide me.

Excellent start to your grow journal @ExNavyInSTL

Nice strain selection.
How long do you wait before you place them in the SIP?

You mentioned overwatering last grow; you may want to take a quick look at this to see if it helps.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

To help with keeping the plants as even as possible, I went with a 3-1/2 gallon bucket instead of 5. I'm hoping the shorter profile, and less soil, will help keep the plant smaller and more even with the other plants.

The brand I am using is GroBucket. I used this this last growing season for veggies and they worked great.

If this is new to
you, I'll post a series of 3 collages that walk through the components.

Remember, these are designed for a 5-gallon bucket, that's why the PVC tube sticks up so high.
Collage 1 for Wick.png
Collage 2 for Wicking Small.jpg
Collage 3 of Wick Small.jpg
We have a thread going called "SIP CLUB" if you're interested. There's quite a few of us doing SIP's & more joining all the time.

Wow, you get pretty technical on your grows keeping track of all that stuff. I use to worry about all that & kept everything dialed in. Hurt my yields big time. I no longer worry about temps as long as it's under 90F. I don't worry about low RH in Veg. I do worry about high RH in Flower though. I use Mega Crop 1 part. But I do add Alchemist Stout MSA (mono silicic acid) & Natures Nectar Nitrogen.
What lights are you using ?

Wow, you get pretty technical on your grows keeping track of all that stuff. I use to worry about all that & kept everything dialed in. Hurt my yields big time. I no longer worry about temps as long as it's under 90F. I don't worry about low RH in Veg. I do worry about high RH in Flower though. I use Mega Crop 1 part. But I do add Alchemist Stout MSA (mono silicic acid) & Natures Nectar Nitrogen.
What lights are you using ?
All the data gathering helps me feel more engaged in the grow. Some of it gets very repetitive by the end of the grow.

I'm using 2 x Mars Hydro SP-3000s. They are fantastic lights.

Dr. Coco made a video where he tested this light and raves about the combination of 2 of them in a 4 x 4 tent.

Click Here for: Grow Light Physics: Coverage Area & Running Arrays with the Mars Hydro SP-3000

I used to use MSA Stout, but my new is pretty expensive up front, but if I remember right the doseage is small. Meaning you get a lot more gallons out of the product. Plus, it is a much higher percentage of MSA per dose. The bottle says that there is 10% MSA.

Mine is Front Row Ag's MSA. The dose is 0.125 ml to 0.5 ml per gallon. My cost was $91 delivered. But, even at the high rate (0.5 ml), you can make up to 1908 gallons from one quart (954 ml).

Whereas, MSA Stout is about $30 a quart (954 ml). But the dose is 2.5 - 5 ml / gallon. Using the lowest dose (2.5 ml) you will only get 381 gallons from a bottle. If you divide the 1908 by 3 (because 3 x more expensive), you still get 636 gallons. Imagine if the lowest dose is all you need, then the number jumps to 7632 gallons. Divide that by 3 and you still get 2544 gallons. I hope my math is right.

It is something to consider. However I understand there is a wide difference in price between Stout and Front Row Ag, However, in the end you do a lot better.

Week 1 - Day 1 - Trouble in River City

Starting Week 1 (Veg) and I've hit my first issue.

I suspect these pictures show excessive protons - excessive light.

This morning, I realized my timer wasn't turning off. It is now, but I think 24 hours of 250 PPFD for 7 straight days was more than the Purple Lemonade can take.

I don't think it is an over watering thing, I have been paying attention this grow.

My plants are sitting on tiny saucers and I put water in the saucer and when the plant sucks it up, I put a little more in. If that water is not taken up, I pour it out so that it doesn't sit in a small puddle of water.

This makes me think my accidental 24-hour lighting was more than the plants could handle. I have corrected this and they are now on an 18/6 light schedule.

PL #1 CU Week 1 Veg_Nik_openWith.jpeg
PL #1 Week 1 Veg_Nik_openWith.jpeg
PL #2 CU Week 1 Veg_Nik_openWith.jpeg
PL #2 Week 1 Veg_Nik_openWith.jpeg

All the data gathering helps me feel more engaged in the grow. Some of it gets very repetitive by the end of the grow.

I'm using 2 x Mars Hydro SP-3000s. They are fantastic lights.

Dr. Coco made a video where he tested this light and raves about the combination of 2 of them in a 4 x 4 tent.

Click Here for: Grow Light Physics: Coverage Area & Running Arrays with the Mars Hydro SP-3000

I used to use MSA Stout, but my new is pretty expensive up front, but if I remember right the doseage is small. Meaning you get a lot more gallons out of the product. Plus, it is a much higher percentage of MSA per dose. The bottle says that there is 10% MSA.

Mine is Front Row Ag's MSA. The dose is 0.125 ml to 0.5 ml per gallon. My cost was $91 delivered. But, even at the high rate (0.5 ml), you can make up to 1908 gallons from one quart (954 ml).

Whereas, MSA Stout is about $30 a quart (954 ml). But the dose is 2.5 - 5 ml / gallon. Using the lowest dose (2.5 ml) you will only get 381 gallons from a bottle. If you divide the 1908 by 3 (because 3 x more expensive), you still get 636 gallons. Imagine if the lowest dose is all you need, then the number jumps to 7632 gallons. Divide that by 3 and you still get 2544 gallons. I hope my math is right.

It is something to consider. However I understand there is a wide difference in price between Stout and Front Row Ag, However, in the end you do a lot better.
Yes, Mars makes very good lights. I have the SP3000 in my 2x4 tent. I run 4 of the TSL2000's in my 4x8 & 6 of the TS1000's in my shed. I also have a few Viparspectra but I prefer Mars over Vipar.
The MSA is more expensive buying it in quarts; so I started buying it by the gallon. It was about $75 for a gal. on Zon.
Not too bad a price buying it that way.

Back
Top Bottom