Gort's Outdoor Grow In Oregon

The Jillybean flowers are starting to get a little sticky.
Jilly A.jpg
Jilly B.jpg
Jilll=y sure is looking sticky and plumping up. Nice sunny day

Hey Gort... I'm digging your grow and your approach. I'm an organic farmer here.

You were wondering why there was cloth in the btm of your beds. When whomever built them originally it was for weed control. Nowadays we just put down a layer of card board. That will be enough to kill all the weeds and the seeds that might follow.

Back in the day it was normal to add a layer of some sort of material, usually plastic <yuk> and as you mentioned, it kept out the worms.

To build up your soil to get it nice and black you need to start composting if you aren't doing that already. Leaves and coffee grounds get the party started and then more and more of it. Spread the composted goodness around and pretty soon you will have decent soil. Don't forget rock dust, the worms with thank you.

Not sure where in Oregon you are but its a hot bed for organic farming, your local farm seed/feed store likely has everything and more for you... compost, rock dust, amemdments for your compost .... yada yada.

I'm a no-till farmer, run the same soil over and over and over, water only. GREAT yields too and I'm indoors sadly. I live in a city.

I'm gonna sub up and grab a seat and ... sub'd for the flowers. It wont be long now! You're on borrowed time tho. Hope your plants finish before the rains come. There coming.... Your Jilly Bean should finish in time.

Looking good too... congrats on your harvest. Gotta great bunch of weeds there.

There are quite a few growers here from around your parts.

Hey Gort... I'm digging your grow and your approach. I'm an organic farmer here.

You were wondering why there was cloth in the btm of your beds. When whomever built them originally it was for weed control. Nowadays we just put down a layer of card board. That will be enough to kill all the weeds and the seeds that might follow.

Back in the day it was normal to add a layer of some sort of material, usually plastic <yuk> and as you mentioned, it kept out the worms.

To build up your soil to get it nice and black you need to start composting if you aren't doing that already. Leaves and coffee grounds get the party started and then more and more of it. Spread the composted goodness around and pretty soon you will have decent soil. Don't forget rock dust, the worms with thank you.

Not sure where in Oregon you are but its a hot bed for organic farming, your local farm seed/feed store likely has everything and more for you... compost, rock dust, amemdments for your compost .... yada yada.

I'm a no-till farmer, run the same soil over and over and over, water only. GREAT yields too and I'm indoors sadly. I live in a city.

I'm gonna sub up and grab a seat and ... sub'd for the flowers. It wont be long now! You're on borrowed time tho. Hope your plants finish before the rains come. There coming.... Your Jilly Bean should finish in time.

Looking good too... congrats on your harvest. Gotta great bunch of weeds there.

There are quite a few growers here from around your parts.
Thank you Bob!

Yeah the barrier was probably put in for weed control. Funny too as a couple of the original beds had weeds growing up through the barriers. I did a post on this thread back a couple of pages on my prep and my plans for the future. I moved in last fall and by the time I got settled it was too late to do much of everything. I did all the prep in the spring which included replacing existing beds ripping out the membranes and digging down another 18 inches and adding compost and some chicken manure and a couple other amendments. When this season is done I'm going to dig out all the beds if my back holds up lol. I'm going to be adding non treated straw, leaves, cardboard, coffee grounds, manure and yes rock dust. Then I'm going to plant cover crops in all of the beds that aren't planted with a few winter vegetables. I'm hoping that come spring the beds will ready to go. I did have 5 yards of compost that I added this year so I have a good base to start with.

Thanks for stopping in.

Flowers looking good there buddy. Yay for warmer weather. Right on time.

Takes some back work to get that soil going but just keep topdressing with compost. I mix in some minerals with the compost when I make it and also before I spread it/top dress with it. Gypsum is a good one with granite dusts. The microbes get a part started.

It's amazing how the top dress like that sticks to the soil even with heavy rains.

Then the soil is black and worms come back too! The worms are the heavy lifters.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom