Greenislands 5 Gallon Upgrade Ebb & Gro TEK

Thanks Kamikaze! Im glad someone got some use out of this journal. I did however just start a new journal. The garden is about 1/3 of the way put together and the seeds have just sprouted today. Im using humate supreme for the entire grow (a sponsor). Come check it out, its a grow journal from conception to garden design, construction and then of course the growing! lol. Hope to see everyone there! Jump to the thread here! Greenislands new organic Humate Supreme garden journal. Thanks everyone! PS: You can also link to it in my signature....

I havent posted in this thread for some time now. Over the past month or so I have ran in to a couple people that I had never meet before who had built a 5 gallon ebb and gro just like mine, and to my surprise I found out they had actually followed my thread to a "T". Its just so weird to randomly run into someone who built something based on your prototype. In any case it was a real treat for me because it showed me that in fact this thread has helped some people and hopefully its helped many more people than I could have ever hoped. In any case I just wanted to say that Im still here and still posting so if anyone out there has any questions or comments, feel free to do so, THIS THREAD ISNT DEAD YET! lol. Also I wanted to invite anyone interested to view my new thread entitled Greenislands Humate Supreme (organic) grow . You can link to it there or in my signature at the bottom of all my posts. Thanks goes out to everyone who has read these pages and turned it into something positive. You made this thread more than worth while. Thank you!:thanks:

Ok so after many inquiries about this 5 gallon ebb and grow and questions about where to find one I teamed up with a local here who was already on the right track and has built dozens of these units already. There has been some improvements to my original design but all the basics are still there. The 3/4" lines, the 2 lines to each bucket, etc etc. In any case here is the link to the makeshit "buy" page. A new page that accepts major credit cards and has a "shopping cart" and all that should be up before to long. Check out the prices on these units....they are cheaper than if you were to build it yourself, trust me Ive done it, lol. So hopefully all of you that have inquired about this system now have the opportunity to buy one. What a great ending to this thread eh? You can buy here... 5 gallon ebb and flood bucket systems for sale, 6-60 site Stay high, GI

Hi GI great set up answers all my questions one more though. What would u think about using the 3/4 in lines and double drain holes with the three gall buckets .As my plants are budded out a lot smaller ? Also the drain problem what if you put the drain holes in bottom of bucket and elevate .would that work? Thanks :nicethread: BC ps then i could use original contol bucket ?

You know Im sure that would work. The only issue I could see coming up is the bucket holes being two big and not being able to fit in the space between the buckets. They wouldnt "nest" in one another properly if they dont fit.

If they dont fit at 3/4" I would just stick with the 1/2" and make two lines to each bucket. Also not having the line hook up directly to the bucket should help, that way the roots dont get in the main line and clog it. Yes you could elevate the buckets but you would need to make a pretty complicated stable base for each pot. With two hoses coming out the bottom it would make it pretty hard to make the bucket sit flat and stable and not pinch the lines, but it is possible Im sure.

Hope that helps out! I would personally get away from the 2 gallon CAP system. The added substrate of a 5 gallon bucket system blows away the C.r.A.P. unit. They clog, they lockout nutes, there mass produced sloppily, they restrict growth and they break fairly often.

A monkey could have built a better ebb and gro kit than CAPs bucket set.

CAPs "new" Ebb "monster" 5 gallon hydro set has the SAME problems as their smaller set! If they had spent even 5 minutes doing some R&d they would realize that the whole nutrient delivery system is flawed...will it work, yes, just not very well. I was at the local hydro store the other day and they

I was at the local hydro store about 2-3 weeks ago and they had just gotten their first Ebb Monster in and were setting it up for demo purposes in the store. The new unit uses horrible grommets and fittings and once it was all together more than 70% of ALL the connections leaked, the first time it tried to flood the buckets it also flooded their store. The handy people at they hydro store ended up having to redrill all the holes and use their own grommets from the store just to get the unit not to leak. Keep in mind this was a HUGE pain in the ass just to get it to not leak nutrients everywhere. Even after they got it set up the unit had issues with lockout, reservoir size and others.

Check out this link 5 gallon ebb and gro thats better than CAPs unit, and cheaper! . Those units are waaaaay more thought out and capable than any of CAPs hydro kits. CAP makes environmental controllers that are "ok" but their hydro kits leave something to be desired as you already know, lol.

Good luck BC grow. Let us know how it turns out!

You know Im sure that would work. The only issue I could see coming up is the bucket holes being two big and not being able to fit in the space between the buckets. They wouldnt "nest" in one another properly if they dont fit.

If they dont fit at 3/4" I would just stick with the 1/2" and make two lines to each bucket. Also not having the line hook up directly to the bucket should help, that way the roots dont get in the main line and clog it. Yes you could elevate the buckets but you would need to make a pretty complicated stable base for each pot. With two hoses coming out the bottom it would make it pretty hard to make the bucket sit flat and stable and not pinch the lines, but it is possible Im sure.

Hope that helps out! I would personally get away from the 2 gallon CAP system. The added substrate of a 5 gallon bucket system blows away the C.r.A.P. unit. They clog, they lockout nutes, there mass produced sloppily, they restrict growth and they break fairly often.

A monkey could have built a better ebb and gro kit than CAPs bucket set.

CAPs "new" Ebb "monster" 5 gallon hydro set has the SAME problems as their smaller set! If they had spent even 5 minutes doing some R&d they would realize that the whole nutrient delivery system is flawed...will it work, yes, just not very well. I was at the local hydro store the other day and they

I was at the local hydro store about 2-3 weeks ago and they had just gotten their first Ebb Monster in and were setting it up for demo purposes in the store. The new unit uses horrible grommets and fittings and once it was all together more than 70% of ALL the connections leaked, the first time it tried to flood the buckets it also flooded their store. The handy people at they hydro store ended up having to redrill all the holes and use their own grommets from the store just to get the unit not to leak. Keep in mind this was a HUGE pain in the ass just to get it to not leak nutrients everywhere. Even after they got it set up the unit had issues with lockout, reservoir size and others.

Check out this link 5 gallon ebb and gro thats better than CAPs unit, and cheaper! . Those units are waaaaay more thought out and capable than any of CAPs hydro kits. CAP makes environmental controllers that are "ok" but their hydro kits leave something to be desired as you already know, lol.

Good luck BC grow. Let us know how it turns out!

Hey GI thanks i want to build one of your designs but i dont wanna FU the control bucket by modifieing it in to b igger bucket and void the warranty if there is one .Also whos controls are you using?I would buy one from you but the shipping would cost as much as the unit.therefore i have to build one.however i still have to buy the control bucket.Great info man i'l rep you when i figure out how to LOL .I 'll read thru everthing again and hit you with some questions if i cant find answer.Also that tangerine pheno is stellar very unique colors hope you have a mother Thanks Again :smokin: BC

Yeah, the Tangerine dream is a one of a kind "greenisland" special. Crazy crazy tangeriny, lol, if thats even a word.

The units for sale on my site are actually not made by me, there is a builder here in Colorado that makes them. I actually sell just the control buckets premaid too, or well he does. The units on the site arent meant to be shipped to BC your right but if you did want one we would subtract out the price for the reservoirs and just ship everything else, then you would have to get a reservoir there in BC. It saves a lot of money on shipping.

If you would like drop me a PM and Ill find out how much just a 5 gallon control bucket costs if you like.

Glad to see your giving it a shot, the results are amazing and its definitely worth the work!

Ok so I have a new journal kinda like this one describing how to make a 5 gallon "bucket" drip system. I explain how to convert this system and how to build one from scratch as well.

Come check it out at Greenislands 5 Gallon Hydro Drip System

Thanks everyone!

Just curious....Im not sure if any of you here remember me building the 5 gallon ebb and grow a while back BUT I was just looking for some feedback on the new system Im developing, so I came here.

Im mostly curious if these "options" are something the "ebb and gro" grower would want in a "brain" bucket.

More room for pumps etc (less risk of pump entanglement).

Larger control bucket for 5 gallon ebb and gro buckets.

Supports 3/4" and 1/2" line

Can switch from ebb and flow to drip with a flick of a switch using the same timer

Can take off the Brain from the bucket

Has a light that tells you when it has power

Has a lid that can easily be removed ENTIRELY without taking hoses off at all.

Has a auxilary switch for an extra component (such as an airstone in the res, or fan etc)

Has a double top float switch that makes sure the "fill" pump doesnt cycle to fast

Has a double redundant top float that shuts off the pump in case of float failure to prevent overflow

Has 2 outlets for "fill" pump to run 2 pumps or a aux device.

What else foes the ebb and grow gardener want?

Heres what Ive built so far...with all the amenities listed above. This is the beta version in the pic.

I will have pics of the final version tomorrow...it just finished beta testing "trials" today.

I would really love everyone's input

Heres what I have so far...and yes its patent pending so steal ideas all you like...just dont sell them, lol ;)

100_25642.JPG

black_box_pic.jpg

I appreciate everyones input....the "BlackBox" is scheduled to release on xmas day 2010...unless anyone has an idea of something that just HAS to be changed, lol.

Look forward to your replies.

Stay high, GI

You can find them on my website... this is the beta version of the new ebb/drip system, I tried to incorporate everything you could ever want into this setup

YouTube - 100_2566.MOV

Things sure have come a long way since my first (cannibalized) 5 gallon ebb and grow control module, lol.

It works AWESOME!

:tokin:

All you need is a conical drill bit and a 3/4" grommet. Make sure you have the grommet in real tight and dont put the elbow all the way in...just to where it sticks into the bucket about 1/8".

Hope that helps! Stay high everyone!

Sincerely
GI

Hey. I've been looking at some of your posts regarding your preference of "organic" hydro nutrients. I grew hydro for years and used pure blend pro with good results. I've been in soil for a few years now and am looking to get back into the high yield, less messy world of hydro. I used to use ebb and flow trays, but am moving into a 5 gallon top feed bucket system. I noticed you used the gh floranova line in those posts, but they were almost two years ago. I know things change often in the world of nutrients so I was hoping you could let me know or direct me to a post that has really specific details of application rates and product lines. I like to follow a proven regimen, especially in an easy to duplicate hydro environment. Thanks for your time. Slick

Re: Greenislands grow journal 09' #2

Heres a pic of my progress at the end of today. Once again I will post the entire full bodied TEK when Im finished. (Probably about a wk and a half away still cause Im waiting on the control module...sorry guys). So in this pic you can see all the buckets I had plumbed, their upside down to show the 3/4" plumbing. Also I added a quick draw up of the differences between the old and my revised version of the ebb and gro "flood" bucket system. Enjoy!

100_11891.jpg

100_1191.jpg

Thanks for viewing everyone. And I should have a new pic up tomorrow of the current grow room. I hope the plants are done being transplant shocked...fingers crossed (i like to not go in the room for a few days at a time to keep the CO2 in and so it seems like they grew more, lol) thats why I dont know how they look really right now. Plus by the time I get home from work it already late as hell and i just want to go to sleep, ya know?...speeking of sleep, goodnight everybody!

EDIT: In the picture above I meant clog lines not "clock" lines. Sorry about the horrible drawings and spelling....my bad.

is their a reason, you connected picture 2, to the same side?
instead of just doubling up picture 1 on both sides? seems like cleaning would be at highest, but parts / set up would fall back down a bit?

tweaktion... either way would seem to work to me, lol... whatevers clever... typically the way in the pic works best in my experience.. easier to move etc. As far as Slickdeaze question they have recently changed the floranova product line and have gotten some bad feedback... its supposed to be the same and yet it perform differently so Im unsure why that is but I would go with botanicares line if you want a full organic hydro nutrient.. Nova isnt even 100% organic actually. Hope that helps :)

tweaktion... either way would seem to work to me, lol... whatevers clever... typically the way in the pic works best in my experience.. easier to move etc. As far as Slickdeaze question they have recently changed the floranova product line and have gotten some bad feedback... its supposed to be the same and yet it perform differently so Im unsure why that is but I would go with botanicares line if you want a full organic hydro nutrient.. Nova isnt even 100% organic actually. Hope that helps :)

only thing i see changing from that is how you connected it to the resivour(not the right spell check fml) well like the teach said, sound it out.

Back
Top Bottom