Grew outdoors 15 years ago in Hawaii: Indoor grower now in Arizona

TalentedTen

Whole new experience for me going from outdoor to indoor. As I’m growing in Arizona, outdoor humidity can be as low as 5% and indoor humidity can be as low as 15-20%.

Set up a 3'X3'X6' tent, with a 440 CFM fan to carbon "stink suck" (for the flowering phase). It was surprisingly inexpensive and quiet. Received a 700 ViparSpectra (just growing 2 plants, WW and NL). I have an AirCare humidifier in place so the really dry Arizona air won't be an issue. I'll germinate in water and move to five gallon smart bags containing the KindSoil I have, so essentially no nutrients should need to be added for the short life autoflowering strain planned, but I'll monitor this closely. Arizona has shit water, (well....tastes great but mine has a 570ppm TDS), so all the water will go through my ZeroWater filter and will be pH checked, runoff as well, and adjusted accordingly.

Thinking I'll go from seedling to maybe three weeks under 6500 K CFL bulbs and then slowly migrate to the 700 PAR ViparSpectrum LED while weaning from the CFLs for the duration of the grow.

The principles of drying and curing haven't changed from the "old days" but have become more precise. Oh, and I do have non-toxic sticky tape "fly traps". I have six inch fans to keep the air moving when plants are small and a 42" tower oscillating fan when maturing. Seeds, from multiple seed banks, should arrive this week.

I THINK have all bases covered, but suggestions are welcome.

I'd be thinking "swamp cooler" instead of humidifier. With only 326 watts (if it's the dimmable "700" ViaSpectra that I just looked at, I'd leave the CFL bulbs in the tent when you add it. And more, if possible. What you've got now will work - but more would definitely be better (IMHO).

The principles of drying and curing haven't changed from the "old days"

It kind of seems like they have - for the worse :rolleyes: . People rush to dry their bud so they can "cure." And they end up with bud that's still GREEN. Back in the day (it was a Wednesday ;) ), curing just meant "put your bud away for a while," because the actual drying was slow enough that the actual curing process had already begun - and was well underway - by the time the bud got put away for storage, the chlorophyll (and, thus, the green color) was already disappearing from the plant matter by being converted to sugars, et cetera. I suppose quickly getting the vast majority of the moisture out of the bud means a person doesn't have to worry about mold, but I think people are taking that way too far. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck on your grow!

EDIT: Oops, I didn't realize that was your very first post here (I was thinking this was posted in the grow journal section, lol, not the Introductory one). Welcome to 420Magazine.com!

I'd be thinking "swamp cooler" instead of humidifier. With only 326 watts (if it's the dimmable "700" ViaSpectra that I just looked at, I'd leave the CFL bulbs in the tent when you add it. And more, if possible. What you've got now will work - but more would definitely be better (IMHO).

EDIT: Oops, I didn't realize that was your very first post here (I was thinking this was posted in the grow journal section, lol, not the Introductory one). Welcome to 420Magazine.com!

Thanks for the reply TS! I already picked up a humdifierl and am using it so I'll go that route. I've been testing it and it seems to work like a charm. I was actually going to use the CFLs to light the undergrowth areas of the plant as they get larger so my CFLs will be used. I'll definitely be drying carefully and will be using Boveda 62s in the curing process which I expect to take 4-6 weeks, although I'll sneak a few buds early for "research". Again, thanks for the tips.

Whole new experience for me going from outdoor to indoor. As I’m growing in Arizona, outdoor humidity can be as low as 5% and indoor humidity can be as low as 15-20%.

Set up a 3'X3'X6' tent, with a 440 CFM fan to carbon "stink suck" (for the flowering phase). It was surprisingly inexpensive and quiet. Received a 700 ViparSpectra (just growing 2 plants, WW and NL). I have an AirCare humidifier in place so the really dry Arizona air won't be an issue. I'll germinate in water and move to five gallon smart bags containing the KindSoil I have, so essentially no nutrients should need to be added for the short life autoflowering strain planned, but I'll monitor this closely. Arizona has shit water, (well....tastes great but mine has a 570ppm TDS), so all the water will go through my ZeroWater filter and will be pH checked, runoff as well, and adjusted accordingly.

Thinking I'll go from seedling to maybe three weeks under 6500 K CFL bulbs and then slowly migrate to the 700 PAR ViparSpectrum LED while weaning from the CFLs for the duration of the grow.

The principles of drying and curing haven't changed from the "old days" but have become more precise. Oh, and I do have non-toxic sticky tape "fly traps". I have six inch fans to keep the air moving when plants are small and a 42" tower oscillating fan when maturing. Seeds, from multiple seed banks, should arrive this week.

I'm still trying to acclimate to this AZ climate after 10 yrs! Hope you enjoy the desert it is beautiful.
The fact that I understood about 10% of the info you gave is one of the reasons I won't attempt indoors! You will probably have the crop of the yr!

Keau Growing Medicine Jane ...Kula Maui cold weather turns my Hawaiian Sativas a deep red/purple. A 12 day dry, produces super sticky, potent pain relief that lasts hrs. I smoke via water bongs. I have bone cancer and, a whole bullet stuck in my head, that keeps singing a unrelenting song of pain from ear to ear.( Afganistan ) This is the only med. that helps. We will discuss more later on. Aloha

This thread is 3 years old & those guys are long gone. After a while you'll see the majority of members change a lot.
Most will either give up, decide it's not for them, or something else happens. 90% of the people here right now are new.
Most only been here under a year. There's only a handful of old timers left. The majority of them keep to themselves & their group of friends; unless you ask.

Keau Growing Medicine Jane ...Kula Maui cold weather turns my Hawaiian Sativas a deep red/purple. A 12 day dry, produces super sticky, potent pain relief that lasts hrs. I smoke via water bongs. I have bone cancer and, a whole bullet stuck in my head, that keeps singing a unrelenting song of pain from ear to ear.( Afganistan ) This is the only med. that helps. We will discuss more later on. Aloha
You are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom