Grow Box Construction

VERY VERY VERY nice set up man! I have a couple Q's. I found the same pc fans and squirrel fans youre using and i plan on using them when i make a box. how exactly did you wire them? i got the part about splicing into them with a rca cable. but then what? do the rca cables plug into the universal power adapter and then that plugs into a 2 or 3 prong wall outlet? and also, do the squirrel fans wire the same as the pc fans? also, when you said u used caulk saver or w/e its called to use as a spacer, a spacer for the inner and outer tubes on the filter? and is that what you used to cap it off at the bottom? i saw "liquid repellant" on the package so im guessing thats how youre using it.

btw, for the people who were asking about where to get activated carbon, i found it online at petco (just like stratlogic said). im not sure if its cheaper on the internet or the 1 that he got is a bigger size, either way its pretty cheap. heres the link Aquatic Gardens Activated Carbon at PETCO

The wiring was pretty simple for both the fans. I just connected the two wires from the RCA cable to the power supply. The particular power supply I used was two pronged and I used it solely to step down the electricity coming from the wall. The power supply has two leads as well just like the RCA cable. For the computer fans, I just cut the tip/connector from the power supply off which left me with two leads. I just attached the two leads from the fans to the power supply and that was it. The fans didn't spin when the wires were attached wrong so I tried the other way and it worked. Just make sure the fan is spinning the right direction before you seal up the connections with tape. With the squirrel fans, I managed to get them working without having to cut the tip off like I did with the computer fans. Since you're dealing with such low levels of electricity, there is plenty of room for trial and error. Just don't plug a fan directly into the wall. haha

I used the caulk saver specifically as a flexible spacer. I am not using it as a liquid repellant and I just used duct tape to seal the ends. That was the easiest way to make the ends airtight, forcing the air to get sucked through the carbon.

I hoped this helps Mike, if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help out.

ok i see. and would that set up only power 1 fan? is that the reason why u spliced into them and made them connect so it was only 1 cable?

I actually have two power supplies powering two fans each. The computer fans use hardly any power at all. I have been considering using one power supply per squirrel fan but currently I have the two hooked up to one and that works too. I was considering using independent power supplies for the squirrel fans because they use up 10 more power (1.2 amps compared to .12 amps of the 'puter fans) than the computer fans and they don't seem to be running at full capacity.

i see. so right now you have the 2 squirrel fans hooked up to 1 power supply and then the 3 computer fans hooked up to another? and by 'power supply' do you mean the power adapter? also, since you have one and know what youre doing, tell me if this kind of adapter would work please. i found it after looking for awhile, heres the link Jwin JA-C52 500mA Universal AC/DC Adapter Thanks

I have no more than 2 fans hooked up to one "power adapter". Power adapter is probably a better description of what I am using them for.

I checked out the Jwin and from the looks of it it should work. And it looks like it has a variable power selector which I highly recommend, and what a killer price too!

Be sure to post your ideas for your box and pictures of your progress. I love to see what ideas people come up with.

oh i plan on it man. ive been making different box sizes and set ups in Google SketchUp (thanks to you, and i highly recommmend it aswell) and im gonna start building pretty soon, once i pick the 1 which i like the most :p Ill have pictures and will be doing a step by step like you did. My main problem was ventilation (solved thanks to you) and i didnt want to build the box and worry about it later because than id be too tempted to start growing without having proper ventilation and it wud fuck me in the longrun lol. Other problem was odor, which will be taken care of by the carbon filter ill make using your plans xD Needless to say, this thread has helped me out BIG TIME. major props bro. even tho some of your ideas you got from other people on other sites, you posted them here and i know this has helped many people and will continue to help others. i will definately be using this alot when it comes time to build =D Mad respect,

Mike

I was able to control the high temps with this slight modification. The biggest problem I was faced with was allowing air in while keeping light out. So here is what I came up with.

I built a simple platform that raised the bucket about 6" off the bottom of the box with some scrap pieces I had left over when I built the box.
tn_DSC02319.jpg

I made the platform about 6" short of reaching the back. Then I lined the area underneath with black plastic sheeting to help absorb light.
tn_DSC02321.jpg

On the right side of the box, I put strips of duct tape on the areas where I was going to staple the sheeting to the box to help reinforce it and prevent the plastic from tearing. It seems to work pretty well. I did the same on the left side but with screws so I can remove and replace the plastic when I want to take a look.
tn_DSC02335.jpg

I found a spare hook and did the same thing with the bottom center of the plastic sheeting that I did when I stapled the sheeting to the box. This allows me to remove the sheeting when I want and keeps the hole intact from opening it up everyday.
tn_DSC02334.jpg

tn_DSC02333.jpg

With this ventilation modification, I keep the fan on low in front of the box and it blows air in the bottom, and up through the back inside. It works really well because when its all sealed up, the plastic poofs up a telling me that air is definitely being pushed inside. With the bottom lined with the black side of the plastic sheeting, it seems to prevent light from getting in while allowing air to get in.
tn_DSC02336.jpg

I originally planned for the box to be able to sustain itself silently behind my closet doors but the temps were just too high, just like I was when I thought it would work apparently. So at the moment, even though its not as stealthy as I hoped, it doesn't present any problems and seems to work very well. I think if I had more powerful fans installed from the beginning, it could work. Something to consider on the next box I build because I don't plan on keeping this box after this grow.

Hey Ninja man Strat,I got 2 months to go before I try.Moola is a BIG factor,I already have the box a plastic tool shed with adjustable shelvs measureing 69 by26by18 o yea I should of put the inches thing(")OK like I said money is the main factor I'm on Socacal security,I have these lights that I have to ask all you grow ninjas out there about .Its an outdoor security light setup thats brand new,the problem is their is no info on what kind of lights they are.On the box it says Par 38 Flood medium base 05250 75watt. They kinka look like HPS but you cant tell by looking.Can anyone out there help me.Its got the split base socket and 2 of the 75w bulbs.:hmmmm:HELP.Can I use them to grow,it would save some loot.

Id start a new thread, first of all, but you need to have a light that emits blue spectrum for veg and red and orange for blooming. Incadescent bulbs for around the house wont work.

Thanks berrydizzle I still have over a month before I can Start.I was going and start a thread then,but I saw all the mad skills and knowledgeable peeps here and thought one of you would be able to tell me about the lights I have. Thanks and puff another one for me.:smokin:

Check out my Hemp Art Journal:hmmmm:let me know what you think.:grinjoint:

After the harvest, I just replaced my ScrOG screen with some left over screen I had from the carbon filter and turned the box into a dryer.

12-03-07_0300.jpg

tn_12-03-07_0320a.JPG

I am going to guess 52 grams dry :Rasta: If I am the closest do I get to keep the herb :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom