Grow Pots

Hawk518

Planning on growing outside next year. Thinking of 2 photos and 1 autoflower in grow pots and 1 photo actually planted in backyard. What size fabric grow pot should I be looking for? I’ve been advised on anything from 7 to 50 gallons. I was thinking of 30 gallons for the photos and a 7 or 10 gallon for the auto?

Also, do I want the short wide pots or the tall narrow pots for the larger pots?

:thanks:

Planning on growing outside next year. Thinking of 2 photos and 1 autoflower in grow pots and 1 photo actually planted in backyard. What size fabric grow pot should I be looking for? I’ve been advised on anything from 7 to 50 gallons. I was thinking of 30 gallons for the photos and a 7 or 10 gallon for the auto?

Also, do I want the short wide pots or the tall narrow pots for the larger pots?

:thanks:
hell yeh

What size fabric grow pot should I be looking for?
Start planning now since the plants will often grow larger than the gardener had thought when the pots of soil are larger.

Will you have to move the pots at some time? Just about everyone says no until they have to get the plants into the house or the spot they choose is the wrong one. Will they have to be moved more than once? It gets really interesting when moving a potted plant when the pot is 7 gallons and the plant is 4 or 5 feet tall and starts to sway back and forth.

We see members post photos of their potted plants and the pots are only 1/2 filled because they ran out of soil. No point in buying a 7 gallon pot if there is only going to be 3 and 1/2 gallons of soil in it. Plan ahead and include the price if you are buying soil. Same sort of planning if you are going to mix your own soil.

When the plant is growing in the pot of soil the entire root mass is trapped. For optimum growth and use of the pot of soil some growers will also plan on using one or more fertilizer mixes over the growing season. Up to you but using a fertilizer can mean a better harvest as far as quality and quantity.

Keep in mind that most plastic pots are often measured as trade, nursery or landscape pots. It might say #7 or 7 gallons on the bottom but the volume is usually 5 and 3/4 gallons. Check out the charts on the pot number and the actual volume. After a couple of grows many of us get used to it and go with the flow. But, we don't want you coming back next summer asking what is going on
:)
. Instead we want you coming back and saying with pride "look what I have done".

And what @Azimuth mentions about the wider pots being more stable, especially when there are summer or fall storms with strong winds.

Keep in mind that an auto might not fill the pot with its roots.
I had a couple of autos in 5 and 7 gallon fabric pots this summer, and there was no difference in their root development, and the plants themselves were about the same size despite being different strains.
Other than that, you have to think about how much horizontal room your plants are going to take up.
It's one thing to know your plant is going to get 4 feet across, but when you actually plot it out you realize just how big that really is.

Back
Top Bottom