Growing & Vaping

Vac purge is King, not doing it, ya kidding yourself. Any extraction method requiring an extraction gas- fluid needs to be purged properly.
Micro bubbles get trapped and release when you smoke it.
No amount of sitting around is good enough. Purge only.

I vape Rosin daily, cleanest way...no chemicals. I have no probs. Yocan pen.

Some people were modding vapes to get huge vape clouds but the extra heat can cause problems, even explosions when modded for too much battery draw to get said clouds. The extra heat on inhale may not help either.

I am against vape fluids. You can vape concentrates so why liquid it up with a non natural unknown.....
Love the Yocan I have a few myself and after trying many many pens it’s the shit. I will never use another until a better one comes out. I also vac purge for longer then most. After removing the fats and wax I vac purge using the slow and low method.

Yocan and I can too LMAO. I have 3.

Great input from everyone. I wish I could answer and comment on all of them. There is so much involved. Far beyond anything my mind is going to deal with. Like I said I mentioned this only so everyone keeps themselves safe. That is the best and really only thing we can do.

Who knows if they will be able to nail it down what the problem is. Then there is the fact if they find out what the problem is "Will" they say anything. It is a all in attack on "Vaping" now days. Which is funnier than hell because "Vaping covers so much. They are going after the flavored juices and pens and the companies that make them. No big money behind them like there is behind tobacco and alcohol. They can't defend themselves. It is naive to think that tobacco and alcohol money isn't behind the attack on vaping.

Right, wrong, Good or bad it doesn't matter. They are going to say what they want too. Unless one of us is in the room to hear the findings. The TRUTH is probably not going to come out. Even without proof it doesn't stop them from making vague comments about vaping.

Vague comments are enough now to cause big problems.

Love the Yocan I have a few myself and after trying many many pens it’s the shit. I will never use another until a better one comes out. I also vac purge for longer then most. After removing the fats and wax I vac purge using the slow and low method.
Firstly, yes its a great topic.
10 years ago I was part of a group that was all about quality, There was much debate on bho and shatters, full melts, etc, extraction methods for those and more.
Those guys were awesome, it was all about SAFE extraction. Was like science week.
I smoked some of THE best extractions with those guys. The purer the better.
I owe a lot of extract knowledge to them.
They were good because they never got stuck to one method, if a better way was found, adapt and move on.

Vape juice...Im not sure, depends on source I suppose. I prefer to vape Rosin, no need to dewax etc etc to get more impurities out, its straight squished out of the bud.
That is,why soo many people loved bubble hash....no solvents...
I think rosin is the future or vapour extraction of oils.

Ok, so we have had reports here of young folk vaping ejuices and having serious lung problems , thc would not be mentioned..
Another ingredient i didnt see mentioned is pg, propelyne glycol, this is widely used in all ejuices as well as things like wax liquidizer etc. That shit has been shown to create formaldehyde when vaporized...
Another bit of food for thought.

Ok, so we have had reports here of young folk vaping ejuices and having serious lung problems , thc would not be mentioned..
Another ingredient i didnt see mentioned is pg, propelyne glycol, this is widely used in all ejuices as well as things like wax liquidizer etc. That shit has been shown to create formaldehyde when vaporized...
Another bit of food for thought.

Where did you see the stuff about pg turning into that? At what temp? I know pg is what they use for asthma inhalers so it's got to be safe up to a certain temperature.

I mean technically burning Cannabis creates carginogens. Anytime combustion occurs there are nasty byproducts.

Is there more formaldehyde in a pack of cigarettes or a tank of ejuice?

I have COPD, not extreme, but I began noticing that combustables were causing a constant cough. I began making Rosin from my grows and Dabbing them with first a straw, then a rig and now the Evolve Plus.
I notice that my lungs don't feel as bad as they did using combustables, I still will get a hell of a cough if I do to much at one time, but nothing like combustables.
Oh, a joint is still my go to bed high!

Where did you see the stuff about pg turning into that? At what temp? I know pg is what they use for asthma inhalers so it's got to be safe up to a certain temperature.

I mean technically burning Cannabis creates carginogens. Anytime combustion occurs there are nasty byproducts.

Is there more formaldehyde in a pack of cigarettes or a tank of ejuice?

2 studies..
Pg is a byproduct of petroleum manufacfuring...
Fda conclude its safe for injestion only, no evidence to say vaping this shit js safer than tobacco.

Personally, id steer well cleae...

Morning news mentioned vitamin E as a possible suspect. I didn't hear the why and the how part so I don't know how they came up with this new info. Didn't see vitamin e even on the list LOL.

They did mention that they vitamin E wasn't found in nicotine products. So it is coming from the THC side. HOW??? any thoughts. Maybe this is connected to the de-waxing thing. They also mentioned that 2 deaths have now been associated to vaping.

In the end while vaping might be how it happened. It might not be the cause. I don't see finding out how safe or bad vaping is while this battle rages. As long as there is anything that can be vaped that could hurt you. They will blame the e-cigarette industry in a whole.

I also want to mention something I have noticed since vaping nicotine has started. Cigarette smoking took a big hit when people did not consider the people around them. Just because you smoke does not mean others want to smell or breath it. Yes there are whiners but to often I saw people swearing they had a RIGHT to smoke. It was to much to walk outside. Well look at them now. Everyone is outside smoking now.

After Vaping showed up. I saw its use in lots of places where smoking was banned. People always swearing it wasn't a cigarette so they had a right. While e-oils do not smell bad like a cigarette.The huge clouds from some vaper's is every bit as offensive.

I am wondering. Is it to much to ask for people to consider others peoples rights when they exercise their own?

Morning news mentioned vitamin E as a possible suspect. I didn't hear the why and the how part so I don't know how they came up with this new info. Didn't see vitamin e even on the list LOL.

They did mention that they vitamin E wasn't found in nicotine products. So it is coming from the THC side. HOW??? any thoughts. Maybe this is connected to the de-waxing thing. They also mentioned that 2 deaths have now been associated to vaping.

In the end while vaping might be how it happened. It might not be the cause. I don't see finding out how safe or bad vaping is while this battle rages. As long as there is anything that can be vaped that could hurt you. They will blame the e-cigarette industry in a whole.

Thank you.

Ive been vapeing non stop "every 3 mins" for over 5 yes now. Only Vape juice I make myself. The stores of people diying from THC vapeing is only because they are using BHO, Other solvents to make shatter ect that have not been properly made. Buying them off the street, not the stores. The actual problem is people making bad things available to anyone who will pay for it. Super sad. But Vaping is safe, Vapeing THC is safe. Vapeing items that arnt ment to be inhaled is not safe. Buy from a reputable store or make your own.

2 studies..
Pg is a byproduct of petroleum manufacfuring...
Fda conclude its safe for injestion only, no evidence to say vaping this shit js safer than tobacco.

Personally, id steer well cleae...

Nice thanks for those.

Basically the study says they can't test these things worth a damn because no one can come up with the same results. They replicated experiments and ended with results that were orders of magnitude different.

This last chunk seems to wrap it up well enough to try and understand.

Intriguingly, there is a >10-fold discrepancy between the levels of formaldehyde reported between the Farsalinos4 and Gillman groups14, within the 6.5–7.3 W range (Table 2). However, it should be noted that Gillman used a different e-liquid. Moreover, neither of these two studies explicitly accounted for levels of 1a-d. Our finding of 13.5 ± 3.2 μg of gaseous HCHO/puff at 7.3 W embodies an intermediate value of formaldehyde. It is above the OSHA (TWA) workplace limits (5.3 mg/day)14, calculated as described previously (13.5 μg HCHO/puff ÷ 6 mg aerosol/puff = 2.25 mg gaseous HCHO/g aerosol)14. Using a conservative value of 4 g e-liquid consumed/day17 affords 10.0 mg gaseous HCHO inhaled/day, nearly double the OSHA limit.

The levels of gaseous HCHO and 1a-d in the context of self-regulation of toxin intake
In the “replication study,” which involved human subjects (Table 2, first column), it was reported that, at the 4.2 V (8 W) power level, 88% of participants detected “dry puffs”4. This means that 12% of the subjects would have been exposed to ca. 10 μg of formaldehyde/puff at 4.2 V (8 W)4, without any sensory awareness that they should cease usage at an exposure level that corresponds to a daily intake of 8.3 mg of formaldehyde per day, which is above the OSHA limit. Notably, this was calculated using the data from the relatively lowest reported levels (those from ref.4, the “replication study”). The levels of gaseous HCHO obtained in the current study are approximately six-fold higher at lower power (7.3 W, 4.0 V), without factoring in any contribution to total formaldehyde from 1a-d. The levels of formaldehyde from Gillman’s study14 were 2- and 3-fold higher than those of ref.4 even when obtained at the relatively lower power levels of 6.5 W and 7.8 W (Table 2).

The inconsistencies in the inter-laboratory data displayed in Table 2 is in keeping with the literature, and not just in studies that have involved CE4 e-cigarettes. Several researchers, including us, have noted elsewhere the concerning interlaboratory differences in reported e-cigarette toxin levels as well as the factors exacerbating this issue18–22. When care is taken to avoid the drying of heating coils and/or burning e-liquids in laboratory studies, such as using single puff samples15, using power levels described by vapers as popular for specific devices19 and/or applying settings corresponding to manufacturers’ recommendations23, etc., wide variations in levels of aerosol toxins can still be observed. Interestingly, in a recent, related “re-investigation” of work by Sleiman et al., Farsalinos and Gillman reported that, even under “dry puff” conditions, they found formaldehyde levels that were not only below OSHA thresholds but also were >12-fold lower than those reported in the original manuscript by Sleiman (under the same conditions)5. Thus, measurements of toxicant levels can differ by orders of magnitude between labs for reasons other than “dry puff”; moreover, “dry puff” conditions should not always be cited as the sole factor promoting elevated levels of carbonyls.

Limitations
Limitations of the study herein include the fact that we did not use human subjects. However, using e-cigarette data acquired based on recommended settings, as opposed to concomitant human testing, is well-precedented, for example, by the same authors23 who published the “replication study”4 of our 2015 findings. Regardless, had we reported the results described herein at the intermediate 4.0 V power level three years ago, it would have been concluded by those performing the “replication study”4, that they were obtained under “normal,” “non-averse” vaping conditions. Importantly, even if one assumes the unlikely scenario wherein the CE4 device produced all “dry-puffs” at 7.3 W in every experiment (Table 1) in the current study, thereby inflating the levels of HCHO and 1a-d under conditions “averse” to users, the results of the “replication study”4 show that a concerning percentage (12%) of human subjects could not detect dry puffs under conditions affording levels of formaldehyde that are above the OSHA threshold. Moreover, the aforementioned results do not account for the facts that the harsh taste of formaldehyde and other aldehydes is dulled due to the nicotine drive24, as well as by the cross-desensitization of transient receptor potential ankyrin subtype 1 (TRPA1) channels in sensory neurons25,26.

Conclusion
We have revisited our 2015 investigation6 using an improved sample collection method12 that separates particulate- and gas-phase e-cigarette aerosol formaldehyde components from the same puff. In addition, an intermediate power setting was chosen compared to our prior work, one that was purported to represent “normal” vaping conditions4. Both HCHO and 1a-d levels were found in the aerosol at levels above the OSHA guidelines. Our work continues to show that formaldehyde hemiacetals, a new form of formaldehyde, may serve as delivery agents that deposit more deeply in the lungs compared to gaseous formaldehyde. This main finding, the discovery of 1a-d, from our prior studies, was ignored in the recent “replication study”4. The variability in the subjective evaluation of aerosols by users4, as well as factors influencing discrepant interlaboratory levels of emissions, are significant current issues in the e-cigarette field that require extensive further study.

Well that explains it all. LMAO.

SEE I told I would never know the truth. I see now that even if I was told the truth I wouldn't understand it.

From what I have seen AND understood lol. They are letting e-cigarette off the hook at least. Though they still say quit vaping. What is really scary is the fact that it is coming from the THC side. That is going to make things more difficult as we go farther with marijuana laws. Obviously there needs to be some kind of regulations in the concentrate market. For safety if no other reason. It will be marijuana in a whole that will take the hit. Something we don't need.

I have a question about de-waxing shatter. First what exactly is it. In layman terms please LOL. How do we do it at home?

I just checked it out. It's not too bad. It is a step I have been leaving out. I really don't care about the difficulty. It is the right way to do things so it really can't be left out. Kind of wonder about all the shatter of my own I have smoked with out this step. Still alive so it couldn't have been to bad LOL.

The problem is. I have noticed a big difference in the shatter I have made. Some is brittle like it should be while others are more pliable. I am betting these are the strains with more fats in them. Oh well they are already smoked.

Great info everyone making shatter should read and use.

I just checked it out. It's not too bad. It is a step I have been leaving out. I really don't care about the difficulty. It is the right way to do things so it really can't be left out. Kind of wonder about all the shatter of my own I have smoked with out this step. Still alive so it couldn't have been to bad LOL.

The problem is. I have noticed a big difference in the shatter I have made. Some is brittle like it should be while others are more pliable. I am betting these are the strains with more fats in them. Oh well they are already smoked.

Great info everyone making shatter should read and use.
I have lots of info on this if interested. I am on my way out the door but we can talk later if interested. I have been dabbling in the arts since 2011. All at home and I ain’t no genius but after years of the good the bad and ugly i have a good line up of strains for the task at hand lol.

Back
Top Bottom