Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Hey, SS! You are cool man!

Will you provide us with info how these 2 weakest plants gonna grow under your HPS? I remember it was like 150 or 250 W...it may turn out that even low W HPS beats these LED, dont you think?

SS
How close do you have the HSS to your plants now. Did they give you any instructions on how to use the lower settings and distance from plants. My veg area has a height problem.

Their instructions were to leave both switches set to "high" and leave them there.

The Haight light is at 10" from the plants and the HydroGrow light is at 6".

Where do you have your light at?

You bet Sun.
Coco is very close to growing in soil. The only problem i have with coco is lock-out. So I use Clearex as often as needed. Coco is a faster medium than soil. I think I'm saying should work fine, LEDs and coco.

Your soil mix seems quick tho. The only way I would use soil again is 50/50 perlite/FFOF. :peace:

Yep, I think coco's water-retention would match up well with the decreased need for watering using LED's.

If I do more LED grows in soil, I'm definitely upping the Perlite to 50%. That might require using larger pots initially or a transplant into larger pots after veg so that I don't have to water too often when the plants get larger and thirstier.

thanks Joe, I appreciate your feedback ;)

Something called Foliar Harmony...from Ebay....I have never used it yet, was scared away from it last grow by the threat of PM.

Am gonna start on my new grow, not even sure how old before I should start. I have the thread in my sig. Comment if you think they need it.

:thanks: :peace:

I looked it up and it sounds good.

I'll go and check out your thread.

thanks MountainHigh ;)

And it looks to me like the HSS is gaining on the HGL. We got a horse race now !!

Both sets of plants are still growing at about the same rate overall, although the HGL plants are still 1-1.5" shorter.

Gonna try to update with pics tomorrow night.

really well done thread

thank you!

Still love this thread!

thanks man! glad you're still following ;)

I know those two culled will be in that cabinet under the 150 ?? :surf:

Hey, SS! You are cool man!

Will you provide us with info how these 2 weakest plants gonna grow under your HPS? I remember it was like 150 or 250 W...it may turn out that even low W HPS beats these LED, dont you think?

Those two plants are no longer involved in the comparison, so it would be distracting and off-topic to comment on them.

In any case, I couldn't put them under the 150w HID because ambient temps in the garage are now too high to be able to use that light.

They are currently under a 24" 110w T5.

And it looks to me like the HSS is gaining on the HGL. We got a horse race now !!

...Both sets of plants are still growing at about the same rate overall, although the HGL plants are still 1-1.5" shorter...

I wouldn't be so quick as to say the HSS light is gaining on the HGL, even though the plants are an inch or so taller--that may just be the product of a more dispersed light focus of the LED's, causing a bit more stretch than a more narrowly focused beam. Not enough absorbed light = a need to stretch towards the light for increased lumens.

So far, I'm liking the work of the HGL light--nice, lush and compact shrubbery on strong stalks. If I were choosing any plants for my garden from the selection in this grow comparison, right now I'd choose from the HGL side. That may change in time, but for the moment, there it is. ;)

Thanks for your insightful comments Irish!

The HGL plants also have more extensive branching than the HSS at this point.

I'm liking how both sets of plants are growing, but they do look different.

Completely aside from growth, it's amazing how much influence the lights have on the general appearance of the plants. Not sure how much of that is due to different heights from the canopy or different spectra, but if I didn't know it, I'd probably think the two groups were different strains.

It's things like this that make experimenting and comparisons so much fun ;).

thanks again for continuing to follow and for your comments!

Just from the pictures, it seems the HGL has more red flowering spectrum than the HSS, but I don't know squat about LEDs so that could just be an illusion by where the colors are placed. Do you think either light is biased towards an end of the spectrum?

Also, have they changed the HGL light at all from the one used in Irishboy's comparison?

Many thanks for doing the comparison SS!

Thanks for showing me to your journal setting sun,only made it to page 3 so far. Looks like they got the right man for the job! Off to bed now but I'll definitely be catching up tomorrow and be following this one.:peace::thanks:

Just from the pictures, it seems the HGL has more red flowering spectrum than the HSS, but I don't know squat about LEDs so that could just be an illusion by where the colors are placed. Do you think either light is biased towards an end of the spectrum?

Also, have they changed the HGL light at all from the one used in Irishboy's comparison?

Many thanks for doing the comparison SS!

As far details like what and how many color LED's they're using, it would probably be best to contact them directly and see if they'll tell you.

Just by eyeball, the side-by-side pics of the tents show the differences pretty accurately. The HGL has a "white-pink" quality, and the HSS leans more towards purple, which makes me think that maybe the HGL is biased more towards red and the HSS more towards blue, but that's a purely subjective and theoretical observation. Not sure how that observation relates to the actual mix of LED's, so I can't comment on that.

I don't know what changes HGL has made to their light along the way, so I don't know if they've changed their specs since Irishboy purchased his light.

I also don't know what HGL's or HSS's policies are, but many LED vendors protect those design details and don't freely share them.

I just got back from taking some pics, so I should have an update up just after I update my THC level :Rasta:

thanks for your visit and questions OBX, I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful.

day 25 veg

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4103.JPG

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

This coming Wednesday will be 4 weeks veg. I'd like them to be at least 10-12" before flowering, so we'll see where they're at on Wednesday and take it from there.

Hope everyone has a great week!

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

This coming Wednesday will be 4 weeks veg. I'd like them to be at least 10-12" before flowering, so we'll see where they're at on Wednesday and take it from there.

Hope everyone has a great week!

I personally wouldn't worry too much about total height. I think the number of nodes or leaf sets is more important.

LEDs, just like 6400K cfls, are great at producing tight internode spacing during veg. However, once flowering is induced, the plants are likely to revert to their genetic predisposition to stretch - which will likely even out any differences.

Having said all that, I agree you should let them veg a bit longer!

And congrats on doing a great comparison grow! Just like me, I feel sure there are lots of growers out there who are extremely grateful for your time and efforts. Bring on the empirical evidence and silence the LED salespeople, whose claims in some cases (mentioning no names) are pretty ridiculous!

I think the real difference will be the final product. My concern will be on the final size and potency as I have heard theories on the wavelength affecting production of essential compounds. Much the same way HPS and CMH differ.

The HGL internodes are noticeably shorter, which is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

The HGL plants are about as stacked as they can be, and really stout. I agree that it's a good thing.

there appears to be a difference in texture and shape that makes the solid state choice look better to me.

There is a difference and I have vacillated back and forth several times as to which I prefer. I like the short stacked HGL plants, but there is something about the texture and shape of the HSS plants that I like a lot too.

I'm not being politically correct or anything like that either. If I had a definite preference for one group over the other, I would have no qualms about saying so, but both groups of plants, while different, are looking good.

thanks bro ;)

I think the real difference will be the final product. My concern will be on the final size and potency as I have heard theories on the wavelength affecting production of essential compounds. Much the same way HPS and CMH differ.

Well, it will be a sacrifice, but I will be most happy to provide smoke reports when all is said and done ;).

thanks Hybrid! nice to meet you ;)

I suppose but we all know about flowering with LED :grinjoint:

stay tuned ;)

Back
Top Bottom