Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

When do you go to flower? Is it the LEDs or is it Setting Sun? :peace:

Hi SS its been a while since i have posted i am just finishing my grow with HSS 800 watt led's i have 4 in a 100 squar foot grow room if i new how i would post pic's of them i have mylar on the walls and i have noticed you dont have to water as much have you noticed this also?

Hi SS its been a while since i have posted i am just finishing my grow with HSS 800 watt led's i have 4 in a 100 squar foot grow room if i new how i would post pic's of them i have mylar on the walls and i have noticed you dont have to water as much have you noticed this also?

You've got 3200W in a 100 sq.ft. room? What do you need to know about posting pics? I'd like to see that. :cool:

the pics i have are 4 megs a piece and i will have my daughter size them down i will be taking pics and harvesting in the next 2 weeks

im very happy to see the HGL staying so short and tight and the undergrowth those LEDs are able to produce, its a very comforting feeling to know the plants are getting what they want right there without having to stretch out looking for it. and plenty of it for under 200w! i have very good feelings about the flowering, if HSS and HGL did enough research and work to put together systems that veg this well im sure they did their homework for flowering too! im sure the right LEDs exist, its just about finding what works and what doesnt.

looking very good SS, i think the plants were the perfect size for flower considering the lights and the space + amount of plants. lets see what these lights can do before we stuff too many plants in there and have a crappy yield and quality!

I personally wouldn't worry too much about total height. I think the number of nodes or leaf sets is more important.

LEDs, just like 6400K cfls, are great at producing tight internode spacing during veg. However, once flowering is induced, the plants are likely to revert to their genetic predisposition to stretch - which will likely even out any differences.

Having said all that, I agree you should let them veg a bit longer!

And congrats on doing a great comparison grow! Just like me, I feel sure there are lots of growers out there who are extremely grateful for your time and efforts. Bring on the empirical evidence and silence the LED salespeople, whose claims in some cases (mentioning no names) are pretty ridiculous!

Thanks for the feedback on letting them veg a bit longer. They'll be bigger by Wednesday at 4 weeks, but they may need a bit more.

thank you for the support and encouragement!

When do you go to flower? Is it the LEDs or is it Setting Sun? :peace:

It's on me.

There are guidelines for this grow in the opening post, but as we know, plants don't always follow guidelines. A grow is a dynamic and changing thing, and requires flexibility from the grower in order to maximize results.

Unless you grow the same strain all the time under the same conditions, there's no way to know at the beginning of a grow exactly how long veg or bloom is going to take.

If I was just comparing the performance of the lights, I could 12/12 them today, but I also want to see how much bud they can grow, so I have to have some flexibility in making that decision.

good question Joe, thanks ;)

Yes, I have noticed that the pots don't dry out as quickly. Even with the 33% Perlite in my mix, it's taking 5 days or so. The last few days I've noticed the pots getting lighter quicker as the plants are growning fast. I think they may need daily or every-other-day watering down the line.

the pics i have are 4 megs a piece and i will have my daughter size them down i will be taking pics and harvesting in the next 2 weeks

Can't wait to see them! What strain did you grow?

im very happy to see the HGL staying so short and tight and the undergrowth those LEDs are able to produce, its a very comforting feeling to know the plants are getting what they want right there without having to stretch out looking for it. and plenty of it for under 200w! i have very good feelings about the flowering, if HSS and HGL did enough research and work to put together systems that veg this well im sure they did their homework for flowering too! im sure the right LEDs exist, its just about finding what works and what doesnt.

looking very good SS, i think the plants were the perfect size for flower considering the lights and the space + amount of plants. lets see what these lights can do before we stuff too many plants in there and have a crappy yield and quality!

One of the most fun things about this whole grow experiment and experience for me is that I have absolutely no idea how it's going to turn out ;).

Like you, I'm also hoping that they flower well. I've enjoyed growing with them so far. They suck for photography, but that's a tangential issue for most non-journaling growers, lol.

The number of plants worked out well. The HSS light could cover more than 4 plants, but more than 4, with this style grow, would overcrowd my tents.

thanks RC!

Rock on SS - I don't know how you could do any better. Those plants look so healthy and happy. I really wanted the HSS to blow away the HGL... for stupid reasons some might guess... but got to admit I don't see it happening now. Funny, sometimes salespeople just need to get out of the way.

Nice to watch a pro at work!

Looking great SS, with my clones Indica's like Mazar only stretch about 50% during flower, so I would definitely let them veg a bit longer if it were up to me. Both sets of plants look nice and compact, they do need a little room for some light and air to get in.

:nicethread: and good looking girls, this is way beyond my limited experience so i'll just be lurking on this one

Great answer, You are a grower with the know. Thanx :peace:

thanks Joe! I'm glad you're on-board ;).

Rock on SS - I don't know how you could do any better. Those plants look so healthy and happy. I really wanted the HSS to blow away the HGL... for stupid reasons some might guess... but got to admit I don't see it happening now. Funny, sometimes salespeople just need to get out of the way.

Nice to watch a pro at work!

The grow has gone very smoothly so far and I'm real grateful for that. It's also good to know that there are some excellent growers following, such as yourself, that can help me sort out any issues that may come up.

Thank you OBX!

Your comments are high praise coming from someone with your skills and creativity.

Looking great SS, with my clones Indica's like Mazar only stretch about 50% during flower, so I would definitely let them veg a bit longer if it were up to me. Both sets of plants look nice and compact, they do need a little room for some light and air to get in.

Thanks brother, that's very helpful. I just got back from taking some pics and measurements. They are right around 8", so I'm definitely going to let them veg a bit longer.

I'll be slowly spreading the plants out as they grow in order to avoid overlap.

thanks again sfhaze, your comments are always helpful and appreciated ;).

:nicethread: and good looking girls, this is way beyond my limited experience so i'll just be lurking on this one

It's a basic soil grow, so don't hesitate to ask questions or make comments.

glad you're aboard ;)

This is going Very, Very Well Setting Sun. Just the vibe here alone is Wonderful, Plants are all impressive, You are running a sweet, clean set-up and you respond to all Questions delightfully. Thank you, Fantastic all round Job Setting Sun! Pleasure to watch your work, and this thread make history forever in cyberspace for all to learn.
Rep+ Thank you Friend! :cheer: :peace:

This is going Very, Very Well Setting Sun. Just the vibe here alone is Wonderful, Plants are all impressive, You are running a sweet, clean set-up and you respond to all Questions delightfully. Thank you, Fantastic all round Job Setting Sun! Pleasure to watch your work, and this thread make history forever in cyberspace for all to learn.
Rep+ Thank you Friend! :cheer: :peace:

The Weed, he is a joy and a bubbling spring of knowledge! He has earned respect and his position. :peace:

day 28 veg

I thought it would be more helpful to focus on comparing two plants side-by-side at this point.

The HGL plants have pretty much caught up in height to the HSS. All of the plants are right around 8" tall.

All 8 plants are fairly equal in size, which is really good as we approach flowering.

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

I've decided to veg them for a few more days as I think that will help maximize yield. I would like them to wind up somewhere around 24-30", so I think we're OK to extend veg just a bit longer.

thanks for following! ;)

They look great!
Even another week probably wouldn't hurt.:grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom