Have I already messed up my first indoor grow?

Hey @nedesnik hope your having a good day.
When you turn you timer on your lights to 12/12 that starts them flowering.
This is when you aren't supposed to interrupt their sleep.
When you turn off your lights your ladies start producing a chemical that tells them fall is coming I better produce buds.
It takes 12 hrs to build enough of this chemical to make them flower.
When you interrupt the production by letting light hit her she reverts back to veg mode.
Seeing as you said your girls are only 6" tall still in veg interrupting their sleep won't effect them at all.
You can give them 24 hr light if you want but most go 18/6 in veg.
When you do finally flip to flower you require absolute darkness for 12 hrs.
Having a light beside them might not be perfect. :Namaste:
Throw a smoke detector in there Amigo.
Stay safe.
Bill
Thanks Bill, appreciate your input:Namaste:

I remember back in the day, a heavy duty garbage bag taped over the plant at the base of the stem was used to starve it from oxygen for a day or 2 before harvest
, whether for yield or resin increase in not sure....
The last thing you want to do is is bag it (open invitation to mold), you can't really "starve" a plant of Oxygen. Oxygen is a waste product that the plant gives off during photosynthesis. I cannot see what good that would do. CO2 does have some uses, but mostly in very tightly controlled commercial grows, you need high temps, high levels of light, and a nearly airtight environment. For most private grows it's not worth the time, trouble, and potential danger. While Co2, in and of itself, is not harmful in low concentrations, it will displace O2, leaving you nothing to breathe.

Each pot has a different medium at the bottom, and I suspect this is the soil only pot, getting more moisture than needed... I'm keeping an eye on it, it will be an easy fix, and yes the are fans, I'll take a pic for you, to set your mind at ease
The clawing is not from water issues, it's from too much N. The drooping leaves are a water issue.

I guess I'm going to get that time to time seeing I make my own soil blend and haven't quite mastered my recipe measurements and ratios just yet, and I gave it a light organic nutrient watering the day after they were transplanted, and probably didn't need it. thanks for the info, love the willingness to share on here, and I want to learn as much as possible! It's pretty exciting to see the rapid growth, It's the 15 th day under lights when I took those, is quite amazing really, I'm loving it:)

Lol you mean the copper tube next to the fan? I did as much research on EMF/RFI as possible.... Is a mini Faraday housing for extra lamp cord length..... So what is this business about CO2? I remember back in the day, a heavy duty garbage bag taped over the plant at the base of the stem was used to starve it from oxygen for a day or 2 before harvest
, whether for yield or resin increase in not sure....
More likely to block out all light. I'm pretty sure the plant creates enough oxygen to be fine inside a bag for a couple days, assuming it isn't mangled or tied up tightly.

The last thing you want to do is is bag it (open invitation to mold), you can't really "starve" a plant of Oxygen. Oxygen is a waste product that the plant gives off during photosynthesis.
The potential for mold is important point to consider before trying something like putting the plant in a plastic bag for a few days. Plus it is harder to control the temperatures inside a plastic bag.

I don't know that I would call oxygen a 'waste product'.;) The stuff is pretty important to most life on this planet.

Photosynthesis is taking place during the day and part of the process is producing oxygen which the plant releases. At night there is no photosynthesis taking place without a strong light source. Result is that most plants will take in oxygen and release the CO2. There are several plants, including popular house plants, which produce oxygen day and night but I have not come across anything that says Cannabis is one of them.

I would agree it would not be the best thing to do, I just think that it IS how it got done by a lot of growers for a long time. And possibly probably even still, because, growing outside, especially if it were a larger grow, how else could you turn off the sun for that final dark before harvest? A couple days in a bag or box just isn't that harmful if moisture is controlled. (plants get shipped all over the world) If mold grows in that short of a time it was already growing before the bag got added.

The potential for mold is important point to consider before trying something like putting the plant in a plastic bag for a few days. Plus it is harder to control the temperatures inside a plastic bag.

I don't know that I would call oxygen a 'waste product'.;) The stuff is pretty important to most life on this planet.

Photosynthesis is taking place during the day and part of the process is producing oxygen which the plant releases. At night there is no photosynthesis taking place without a strong light source. Result is that most plants will take in oxygen and release the CO2. There are several plants, including popular house plants, which produce oxygen day and night but I have not come across anything that says Cannabis is one of them.
The issue is that the plants (even bagged) don't put out enough Co2 to get the the PPM up to where they need to be to affect plant growth, plus Co2 only works when a STRONG light source is actively on the plants, so bagging does no good, except as light deprivation. I didn't mean to say the O2 is waste, but it is a waste product of the plant (which is good for us). Just a little aside, most O2 on earth does not come from terrestial plants, when a plant (or tree) dies, the process of decomposition uses almost as much O2 and the plant ever produced. The lions share of breathable O2 comes from algae and diatoms in the open ocean, they release O2 during their lifetime, and when they die, they sink into the deep ocean where lack of O2 and cold temps keep aerobic decomposition from happening, the diatoms, which have a silica skeleton, eventually pile up on the ocean floor and under their own pressure they will eventually will become diatomaceous earth (or chalk). This has been your one minute O2 lesson for the day! (LOL)

Addendum: For the most part, large scale outdoor growers never bagged plants, at least not in the emerald triangle in the 70's-80's. They had too many other things to worry about (like getting water to the plants, not getting robbed, or arrested) to take the time to bag hundreds of plants, not sure how you can easily bag plants with something that blocks sunlight and air flow that wouldn't cook the plants underneath when the sun is out.

The issue is that the plants (even bagged) don't put out enough Co2 to get the the PPM up to where they need to be to affect plant growth, plus Co2 only works when a STRONG light source is actively on the plants, so bagging does no good, except as light deprivation. I didn't mean to say the O2 is waste, but it is a waste product of the plant (which is good for us). Just a little aside, most O2 on earth does not come from terrestial plants, when a plant (or tree) dies, the process of decomposition uses almost as much O2 and the plant ever produced. Our breathable O2 comes from algae and diatoms in the open ocean, they release O2 during their lifetime, and when they die, they sink into the deep ocean where lack of O2 and cold temps keep aerobic decomposition from happening, the diatoms, which have a silica skeleton, eventually pile up on the ocean floor and under their own pressure they will eventually will become diatomaceous earth (or chalk). This has been your one minute O2 lesson for the day! (LOL)
Phyto...where do you and how long has it taken you, to aquire all the information you have? A wealth of information, always

Phyto...where do you and how long has it taken you, to aquire all the information you have? A wealth of information, always

Although it was a long time ago I have a degree in Natural Science (Wildlife Mgmt) and a minor in Botany. I also got them at Humboldt State Univ. in the late 70's, which was basically at the onset of the sinsemilla and Indica craze. I could tell stories about about growing in Humboldt in the 70's! Plus, Google is your friend, as long as you really check out the source (scientific studies VS anectdotal evidence).

Although it was a long time ago I have a degree in Natural Science (Wildlife Mgmt) and a minor in Botany. I also got them at Humboldt State Univ. in the late 70's, which was basically at the onset of the sinsemilla and Indica craze. I could tell stories about about growing in Humboldt in the 70's! Plus, Google is your friend, as long as you really check out the source (scientific studies VS anectdotal evidence).
That's so awesome!!! What a history, I'm jealous I wasn't born til the 80s and missed all of this. Congratulations on your degrees as well, it is very apparent you know what you are talking about every time I catch you in conversation

Back
Top Bottom