Hello from Canada and question

Fyrious

420 Member
Hello. Brand new grower here in Ontario Canada. Been browsing the threads for a while and figured I'd join the group. Just got legal not to long ago here and we're allowed to grow 4 plants so figured I'd give it a try this summer. I only started with one plant and it was more to see if i could even do it and not kill it.. So its an outdoor grow, Critical Mass (guy said it would be an easier grow), 5 gallon bucket and basically using miracle grow... I know i know probably alot of people losing their mind. I was just trying to see how cheap i could do it.

Well she's been doing pretty decent IMO for our seasons and weather. My only concern is its now Sept here and temps are dropping to 10C (50F for americans) at night and next week it's going to rain allllllll week, so im worried about mold and well her general well being and wonder if i should just harvest now. I've attached some photos to help... She doesn't look like she's done but im worried if i leave her out in rain all week she'll get mold and or die from cold and wet.

Attachments

• 20190907_110504.jpg
    20190907_110504.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 20190907_110448.jpg
    20190907_110448.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 20190907_110435.jpg
    20190907_110435.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 298
Hello. Brand new grower here in Ontario Canada. Been browsing the threads for a while and figured I'd join the group. Just got legal not to long ago here and we're allowed to grow 4 plants so figured I'd give it a try this summer. I only started with one plant and it was more to see if i could even do it and not kill it.. So its an outdoor grow, Critical Mass (guy said it would be an easier grow), 5 gallon bucket and basically using miracle grow... I know i know probably alot of people losing their mind. I was just trying to see how cheap i could do it.

Well she's been doing pretty decent IMO for our seasons and weather. My only concern is its now Sept here and temps are dropping to 10C (50F for americans) at night and next week it's going to rain allllllll week, so im worried about mold and well her general well being and wonder if i should just harvest now. I've attached some photos to help... She doesn't look like she's done but im worried if i leave her out in rain all week she'll get mold and or die from cold and wet.
Bring it inside or cover it with tarp. Think umbrella. You want air to flow around plant still. Last year in Canada I used both tarps and fans to protect plants from late season wet weather. Worked well. Damp and cold breed mold on buds.

Welcome Fyrious. Yes those are the problems with growing outdoors in Canada. Our season in most parts of the country just is not long enough. A small greenhouse would help extend it some. Even just a temporary thing. Choosing a quick finishing auto would be a good choice for these types of situations. Cheers.

Welcome Fyrious. Yes those are the problems with growing outdoors in Canada. Our season in most parts of the country just is not long enough. A small greenhouse would help extend it some. Even just a temporary thing. Choosing a quick finishing auto would be a good choice for these types of situations. Cheers.
That's what im going to do next year is get alittle green house off amazon that'll hold 4 plants. I figure with a green house they'll be better protected from rain and moisture. Just not worth it this year since its one plant and its into Sept now. Just trying to see my options for this year.

Nice work and you can always buy a budget light and finish her off inside.

Welcome! From a Michigander, we just 41 degrees at night so yeah far too low to keep off molds and mildews. At around 64 degrees molds and mildews form in the evenings. That's always my point for harvesting the remainder of the peppers and tomatoes and bringing the house plants inside. Never can be too careful.
Look at those cool transparent domes they have out, less to catch the wind and highly insulated and the price is damn good.

Welcome! From a Michigander, we just 41 degrees at night so yeah far too low to keep off molds and mildews. At around 64 degrees molds and mildews form in the evenings. That's always my point for harvesting the remainder of the peppers and tomatoes and bringing the house plants inside. Never can be too careful.
Look at those cool transparent domes they have out, less to catch the wind and highly insulated and the price is damn good.
Do your pepper plants stay outside all winter and do they bear fruit again?
Just to see if I could, I took seeds from a store bought bell pepper, now I have 13 seedlings in solo cups and it's way too late in the season to put them outside so I'm stuck with them inside.
I'm wondering if I can keep them growing inside until spring then put them in the garden?

I just got back from my brothers place. he had 4 outside and we had to rig up a little cubby hole for them to live in with lights and fans and the whole bit. temps getting down to 4c at night coming up here.

Peppers, tomatoes, etc. are tropicals. They can only go to about 44 degrees F before they cease producing and start dying. You can definitely keep them going under the lights. They are also very long-season plants, at least 100+ days, so you'd have to start them indoors in April to get them out by June, that's the only way here to avoid late frost and manage to get a decent harvest. Although I've had late frost on June 16 years ago so nothing's set in stone. You can also grow peppers as houseplants as long as you've got enough light, and keep continuously picking forever if you trim them back every autumn and let them rest awhile during Dec or around there.

Peppers, tomatoes, etc. are tropicals. They can only go to about 44 degrees F before they cease producing and start dying. You can definitely keep them going under the lights. They are also very long-season plants, at least 100+ days, so you'd have to start them indoors in April to get them out by June, that's the only way here to avoid late frost and manage to get a decent harvest. Although I've had late frost on June 16 years ago so nothing's set in stone. You can also grow peppers as houseplants as long as you've got enough light, and keep continuously picking forever if you trim them back every autumn and let them rest awhile during Dec or around there.
Thank you! Much appreciated! What does one plant produce? A pepper or 2?
These seedlings are currently sitting in a corner of the house that has a window on either side so they get a lot of daylight, not so much sunlight though, heck this city hardly gets sunlight!

20190907_140146_HDR.jpg

Happy growing!

Depending on the variety of pepper, they can produce 20-50 peppers per. I've harvested three times a week since mid-july on my 15 plants, which are banana, serrano, jalapeno, hungarian, czech black, big jim new mex. My freezer is stuffed getting ready for salsa canning. One serrano plant can give you literally hundreds. Your sweet peppers take a little longer to mature on the plant so you can expect at least 20. Only feed them veg food once you see a flower. Otherwise all you'll get is a two foot bush of leaves.

Welcome! Battling mold is always a pain. Consider setting up a temporary shelter for it during the rainy times.

Welcome

I think that's what im going to do. Found a bulb and lamp for about 60 bucks. So ill put it in my pantry for next week or two.

You have months of work into her, don't you think she deserves a better light?

Maybe a QB light between 120 and 200 watt's?

I know it's a investment, but you can count on it every year when you run out of good weather.

I live in the same kind of weather and I know it's going to be the same as the last year in September.

Why pay $60.00 bucks for a POS, when you can have a quality QB board at a true 130watt of pure "sunlight" quality light with a three year warranty for $103.00 shipped!

This is NOT a cheap Chinese light, this is made in the USA and has quality SAMSUNG diodes !

I think she's worth more than$60.00 bucks, don't you?

Check this one out I found for her. For only $43.00 bucks more !

It seems to me that the months of love and work you put into her, she and you deserve a quality harvest and bud.
The light above would give her that.

Since this is a sponsor of 420, all you have to do is enter 420MAG
and your total price is only $103.49 shipped ! :woohoo:

Back
Top Bottom