Hello, I'm a noob and in need of advice, of course

walkingline

420 Member
Hey all,

I've started growing cannabis for the first time this year... and yes, it hasn't gone smoothly. I think I've figured out at least some of the numerous problems that these little ones have had to grow through. I brutally overwatered them for the first couple of weeks they were in soil, and had some pH issues as well (both of which I've since rectified). So, they're four weeks old, and really, really small. One strain is a photoperiod Chem Dawg and the other is an auto Sweet Tooth. They seem to be coming out of the abuse I put them through, but I'm wondering if I've stunted them so badly that they may not every recover to be productive in any meaningful way (especially the auto strain). I've got some other auto seeds on the way, so I can start over if need be. Anyway, it's good to be here, an any advice is appreciated--thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    667.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6505.JPG
    IMG_6505.JPG
    977.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7442.JPG
    IMG_7442.JPG
    843.1 KB · Views: 84
Tso small they wouldn't need nutrients, its just very hard not too do.

Ph issues for seedling, I would use just plain water, the soil itself would be a buffer mate

There day 12 in guessing,

Over watering g cam also be a cause

Thanks for all the replies.

Well I can’t seem to find the post, but anyways. I’d say keep em going, get some hands on experience. They aren’t dead yet. What is the environment like?

The environment is reasonable, I think. In a tent with ventilation, temps between 24 - 27 C, humidity usually around 45%, but drops in the evening when the west facing room warms up in the late aft & evening. Gets pretty dry here in Calgary b/c the altitude and the Chinook winds coming off the western slopes of the rockies. Started them under 75W LEDs, but they're under a '1000W' LED now at 18/6.

You can probably save the photo-period if it can snap out of its funk with proper soil/nutrients/ watering.
The autoflower is most likely toast as it should already be flowering.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I might get the photoperiod one growing & vegging, harden it off and move it outside (and bring it back in later for the 12/12, unless there's a compelling reason why I can't do that). Then, I'll start a couple of other autos indoors when those seeds come... And, hopefully not make any of those mistakes again!

Tso small they wouldn't need nutrients, its just very hard not too do.

Ph issues for seedling, I would use just plain water, the soil itself would be a buffer mate

There day 12 in guessing,

Over watering g cam also be a cause

Yeah, I was using plain tap water, but it's at a pH of 7.4, so I've been adjusting down to around 6.5. My starter soil was pretty crappy, and wasn't draining well either (it was just some Jiffy Mix we had laying around). I've since acquired some perlite and better soil... I was going to transplant these into FF Ocean Forest, but probably just do the photoperiod one at this point.

:welcome: to the forum @walkingline :passitleft:

Yeah, I was using plain tap water, but it's at a pH of 7.4, so I've been adjusting down to around 6.5. My starter soil was pretty crappy, and wasn't draining well either (it was just some Jiffy Mix we had laying around). I've since acquired some perlite and better soil... I was going to transplant these into FF Ocean Forest, but probably just do the photoperiod one at this point.
I'm going to say they look over watered and over fertilized...the dark veins, and drooping yellow leaves are a tell tale sign in such a little thing :nerd-with-glasses:...next time just water until the little round leaves (cotyledons) start to turn yellow, usually takes about 2 weeks, and let those roots dry out till your pots feel empty, makes for healthy roots :thumb:

1) Your PH has nothing to do with a seedling in soil.
2) "Jiffy seedling starter mix" is organic and I've been using it successfully for years...so not crap
3) FFOF is too hot for some seedling strains (refer to no.2), should be okay for autos though, it's what I start mine in

Here's that crappy Jiffy mix at work :rofl: just plain water, no PHing, let dry repeat for 2 weeks...peace brother/sister and good luck :peace::goodluck:

:welcome: to the forum @walkingline :passitleft:

I'm going to say they look over watered and over fertilized...the dark veins, and drooping yellow leaves are a tell tale sign in such a little thing :nerd-with-glasses:...next time just water until the little round leaves (cotyledons) start to turn yellow, usually takes about 2 weeks, and let those roots dry out till your pots feel empty, makes for healthy roots :thumb:

1) Your PH has nothing to do with a seedling in soil.
2) "Jiffy seedling starter mix" is organic and I've been using it successfully for years...so not crap
3) FFOF is too hot for some seedling strains (refer to no.2), should be okay for autos though, it's what I start mine in

Here's that crappy Jiffy mix at work :rofl: just plain water, no PHing, let dry repeat for 2 weeks...peace brother/sister and good luck :peace::goodluck:

Thanks Mochabud. I stand corrected, I was the weak link in the equation, not the Jiffy Mix. :) I did also have them in those peat Jiffy pots at the time too. I think those aren't ideal--the soil would be dry, but the peat pot would be slimy, moist and cold--not the best environment for those babies. For sure they were overwatered, but I don't think they were over fertilized as I hadn't given them anything until they were over 3 weeks old (and only after they started looking really bad). Now I'm giving them a 1/4 strength organic tomato fertilizer (3-2-2), which they seem to like. Both plants seem to be growing well now.

I guess I won't worry about pH'ing in the future until the plants are more established. At what point do I need to start getting the pH to the optimal range? When they're in their final containers, or after they hit a certain number of leaf sets?

I had planned to only use the FFOF when they were in their final container, but maybe I'll try starting an auto or two in it shortly.

Bro forget ph, nutrients, all this crap

Get a super soil and place too seed sprout in and leave it,
And then...you'll find out that some strains don't like hot soil to start seedlings in

And then...you'll find out that some strains don't like hot soil to start seedlings in

Just depends how hot you make it, organic is meant too be slow release.

With some ingrediants it's near Impossinle too burn-

Planted 4 autos directly in sohum soil, disnt have no issues.

I think amending an organic soil is much more harder then growing, as its trial and error.

In nature where trees grow so big, the seedlings strata in the same soil dont they?

Just depends how hot you make it, organic is meant too be slow release.

With some ingrediants it's near Impossinle too burn-

Planted 4 autos directly in sohum soil, disnt have no issues.

I think amending an organic soil is much more harder then growing, as its trial and error.

In nature where trees grow so big, the seedlings strata in the same soil dont they?
Yeah well :hmmmm: I used to think super soil and organics were the same also, but there not...super soil is a mix of good stuff, but you have to "cook" the super soil for a month or so to get it well mixed (water a stir)
Organics is like making a bed that your microbes and fungi are going to live for a very long time and be reused as long as you keep it "alive"
Some of the ingredients in super soil will kill off your beneficial bacteria and fungi in organics, then again some won't, but they are different

And on the other things...Autos are of a ruderalis strain, which can grow through a cinder block :rofl: so yeah I put mine straight into FFOF from the get go
As for trees in nature those seeds don't fall into super soil or FFOF :rofl: I would imagine it's an organic based forest floor :peace:

I've only grown since 2007, but have learned a lot in those 13 years, and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone like @Emilya will come along and say so :rofl: cuz she's a cannabis encyclopedia :reading420magazine:

I don’t get it your laughing the fact I didn’t know the difference between organics and super soil. The same ingredients that be used in super oil are usually watered down in organic feeding bottles. People don’t usually consider bottled Nutes truly organic u less your using super soil.

they both work the same way by making colonies of microbes too break the organic matter too turn it into food for the plants. It’s called slow release. as your plants don’t directly feed the plants directly for example in chemical based Nutes where you have too ph and get the ppm rates correct before watering.

so the question you pointed out which I replies too. Was sometimes seedlings could find it hot in super soil!!!! In was talking about particularly a soil variety called sohum soil which I’ve used. That’s what I recommend. Yes off course there must be instances where plants die from over fertilisation. But things need too be balanced out correctly. The right building blocks need too be put into place. As I’m sure nature has conquered it where it’s able too sustain a 100 foot tree and also able too sustain life for a seedlings. There’s like thousands of different microbes in nature. And the fact we have insects and worms which all help microbailty Knute soil. Also having seasons with fruits and leafs falling from the plants too naturall fertilise the soil. And animal dunk.

mai in reality there’sno right or wrong answer. You can’t exactly go and say oh a seedling will find it hot ina super soil if it hasn’t been mixed properly. So many variables and instances where it has worked.

organic soil is the best for any starter grower. As the worry too ph and regulate feed is dis mini shed for atleast 4 weeks

in super soil the one I recommended l, I’ve started seedlingsin and I know the only thing I’ll need is water

I don’t get it your laughing the fact I didn’t know the difference between organics and super soil. The same ingredients that be used in super oil are usually watered down in organic feeding bottles. People don’t usually consider bottled Nutes truly organic u less your using super soil.

they both work the same way by making colonies of microbes too break the organic matter too turn it into food for the plants. It’s called slow release. as your plants don’t directly feed the plants directly for example in chemical based Nutes where you have too ph and get the ppm rates correct before watering.

so the question you pointed out which I replies too. Was sometimes seedlings could find it hot in super soil!!!! In was talking about particularly a soil variety called sohum soil which I’ve used. That’s what I recommend. Yes off course there must be instances where plants die from over fertilisation. But things need too be balanced out correctly. The right building blocks need too be put into place. As I’m sure nature has conquered it where it’s able too sustain a 100 foot tree and also able too sustain life for a seedlings. There’s like thousands of different microbes in nature. And the fact we have insects and worms which all help microbailty Knute soil. Also having seasons with fruits and leafs falling from the plants too naturall fertilise the soil. And animal dunk.

mai in reality there’sno right or wrong answer. You can’t exactly go and say oh a seedling will find it hot ina super soil if it hasn’t been mixed properly. So many variables and instances where it has worked.

organic soil is the best for any starter grower. As the worry too ph and regulate feed is dis mini shed for atleast 4 weeks

in super soil the one I recommended l, I’ve started seedlingsin and I know the only thing I’ll need is water
Hey @DOUBLE OG :passitleft:chill bro...I wasn't laughing AT you...I was laughing at the fact that I thought the same thing at one time...constructive criticism is how I gained most of my knowledge, that and a lot of effing up :rofl: and as a matter of fact I tagged the person that straightened me out on it...it made me read about it :reading420magazine:
Hokay guys, not trying to be a d*ck here, but this debate isn't particularly helpful for my situation.
:rofl::rofl: Sure it is, you're getting a free tutorial in the difference between organic soil and super soil :popcorn:

But your problem is over watering and starting in too big of a pot...not your soil...and guys I'm an acquired taste, sarcastic but willing to help, and if I can't, I'll help find someone who can :thumb::peace::goodluck:

Hey @DOUBLE OG :passitleft:chill bro...I wasn't laughing AT you...I was laughing at the fact that I thought the same thing at one time...constructive criticism is how I gained most of my knowledge, that and a lot of effing up :rofl: and as a matter of fact I tagged the person that straightened me out on it...it made me read about it :reading420magazine:

:rofl::rofl: Sure it is, you're getting a free tutorial in the difference between organic soil and super soil :popcorn:

But your problem is over watering and starting in too big of a pot...not your soil...and guys I'm an acquired taste, sarcastic but willing to help, and if I can't, I'll help find someone who can :thumb::peace::goodluck:

Dont worry bro, it's all good.

Ok, so here's a bit of an update, and another question. Hopefully someone can help me here.

So, the photoperiod ChemDawg has been coming back. She's growing and is working on her 6th node. Obviously, she's pretty small for her age (7.5 weeks or so). I'm wondering: can I FIM her? Or if I should leave well enough alone, since she had a hard start to life and is already stunted. She's kind of droopy in the pic (not sure why), but actually, she's usually perky, up, striving towards the light--as she was even just a few hours before the pic. Anyhoo, here she is...

Also, as an aside, here's the mini auto Sweet Tooth that's flowering. Pretty funny. She's all of 3 inches tall. Just going to let her run her course, and maybe I'll get enough for one bowl in my Pax.

I've also started a few other seeds (2 auto Pineapple & 2 auto White Widow). The WW are killing it, only about 8 days old.

Thanks in advance...
IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7321.JPG
IMG_7320.JPG
IMG_7322.jpg

Back
Top Bottom