Help heat damage

RQS - dont they sell seeds?

seed vendor = soil scientist

OK - do whatever they tell you to do. They are the experts. lol

Do you really think Royal Queen Seeds is a "seed vendor"? Wrong. They're a breeder, Bob, which involves a lot of growing and yes, soil science. And yes, they are experts, just like Arjan Roskam of Green House Seeds, who also recommends flushing -- twice. And all the others I've cited to you in this thread. You can buy their seeds directly from them, or from others who sell. But that direct sale does not reduce them to status of retail vendor of seeds. Sounds like arrogance, but maybe it's just ignorance. Or side-tracking, maybe?

My research has located an article in Cannabis Business Times that questions the value of flushing: To Flush or Not to Flush

It acknowledges that it is a common practice for improving flavor and smoke, but asks whether data, if gathered, would in fact support the conclusion that flushing is necessary to improve flavor or, if it is, whether data could help find a scientific explanation for why that might be so.

"To us, the concept that flushing somehow changes the chemistry in plant tissue that has been laid down for weeks [during veg] requires a scientific explanation because that concept seems akin to claiming that the car engine is cleaner after washing the car’s hood. Nutrients are locked in the plant, and an external flush cannot undo the complex biology that locked them in.
The levels of nutrients concentrated in plant tissue are up to 1,000 times more concentrated than those nutrients in the root zone. One-hundred ppm nitrogen solutions produce plants whose leaves can contain upwards of 10,000 ppm of nitrogen. Since we have established that none of those 10,000 ppm are going anywhere but within the plant, we are looking for explanation of how that concentration is being reduced by a flush to the extent it can affect flavor. We haven’t found it yet."

So the authors were not convinced the case for flushing has science to support it, but they also do not deny that it works. At the end of the article they ask for comparative data from (a) flushed plants and (b) non-flushed. Obviously, there are two views on this subject at the present time.

Me, I'm an organic grower in soil. I've flushed once to neutralize a N-toxicity and several times just before harvest. But other than that, I have not used this practice. It would be interesting to hear more from those who know more than I.

Its just chemistry and physics.

This is why you don't see this practice outside of the cannabis community.

I don't remember if I posted this already in this thread but I think when people "flush" the plant in the last say 3 weeks of flower they are actually giving the plant a proper amount of water and a crucial time. The water run-off if left in the tray the plants will quickly drink it back up.

That should be the sign they need more water. "Flushing" MAY just be giving the plant what she needs to finish, the reason being she needs a lot more water than anyone thinks.

I have 7 plants in flower right now. They have access via btm watering and a water reservoir. So unlimited water basically. I filled a 75 gal res 4 days ago it was almost empty today. Thats a lot of transpiration.

It's hot now
There's a lot of air exchange and air movement.

My point - many variables to growing plants.

Flushing I see as watering properly.

I think that is why it works because we are watering enough instead of not enough which would stunt growth and bring on lots of other issues we dont want to admit are caused by under watering down the stretch.

Back
Top Bottom