Help needed - First time grower

Chuckyboy

Hi there guys and girls

Its my first grow, and im having some trouble with my plants, cant diagnose what exactly is going wrong here, any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much.

:thanks::thumb:

20160521_224406.jpg

Oh. PS
the broken leaf isnt from bugs, it broke off when i was taking it out of my grow box. Im growing indoors

Hes right, some problem with nute uptake, either nute problem, or ph, or too much water?
More info might help
Btw do you keep the soil always this muddy?
Problem might come from that causing root rot. I remember my first try, a plant looking like yours which had root rot. Hope im wrong.
Good luck bro

Damn, sorry guys, been trying to figure out how to edit my original post to add more info.

Well, i was using just normal tap water( now bottled water, straight from the mountains which to be honest is the best tasting water ive ever had when i went hiking in the drakensburg, its Valpre water) and epsom salts like once a week, half a teaspoon per litre of water so very little. i watered once a day(Not with the epsom salts mix) when the soil has dried up about half a finger deep. theres more than adequate drainage at the bottom of the little homemade pot.I read something about the roots not liking light and just realised this that my pots are see through. im gonna fix that up, so no light gets to them and transplant to a 5l bucket as soon as possible. Im not using any nutrients at the moment, partially because its still sort of a seedling and dont want to overdo it because the soil should hold enough nutrients, and i havent been able to get anywhere and find some proper nutrients, being a student as well doesnt really help, no income, but i have almost completed my personal training course so that should allow for some income at least while i study. Before i started i read quite a few different websites including ------------ with nebula haze. I like to try and be as educated in the field beforehand. But that really doesnt hold any ground in comparison with first hand experience.

BigBaron, its only like that cause i took it out to water them a bit that day. Thinking of crushing up some eggshells for the added calcium and sulfur cause they decompose pretty easily. I actually saw a great idea with egg shells. You cut of the top and add a little drainage hole at the bottom, taking the egg out of course haha, and boiling it. and you put your little germinated seedling in there with some damp soil and covering it with the egg box. The great thing is that it allows for very easy transplanting once theyve grown enough. Also the added calcium is actually really great for the plants, increasing their size substantially as compared to without it. Ill add a picture of it as soon as i can to upload, it might come in handy for anyone looking to spend a minimal amount of money and DIY your grow with some homemade stuff. I hope its not root rot.. Really trying to grow just a single plant for medication, my anti anxiety pills and antidepression pills really hold nothing against the medicinal qualities of some good old fashioned mary jane. In fact i wouldnt be here if not for it. Thanks so much for the advice and luck man, really appreciate it bro.

Hi Chuckyboy.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members. :welcome:

Sorry your first interaction with us is to help solve an issue, but glad you found such a supportive group as this.

Watering once a day is WAY overwatering. For a plant this size, even in a very porous medium such as yours, I would suggest watering only once every 5-7 days. Cannabis really prefers and thrives in relatively dry soil. I also suggest you can reduce your Epsom Salt addition to once a month as Cannaibis requires only a small amount of Magnesium in it's required nutrients.

If possible I would suggest repotting this plant into some dry soil and allowing it to recover for a few days before watering again.

Be well and happy growing.

Hello there TanR

First off id like to thank you for such a warm welcome, this place really is the best.

Damn... I didnt know you could get away with watering such a little, here in SA we generally have quite a humid climate, its now the beginning of winter so the relative humidity has dropped along with temps but we do experience the odd hot day now and then, otherwise its actually really nice here in winter. Cool breezes and the warmth from the sun. The amount of watering i do is generally a little bit, i measure it out with a syringe so about 20 to 30mls of water whenever its very dry in there, ive also got an aircon thats on at about 22-25 degrees to control the environment and two high powered fans for intake and exhausting so the air is constantly getting pushed around so im not sure if that will change what youve suggested about watering every 5-7 days. But i will try that most definitely and if any signs of slowed growth or drooping occur which im pretty sure they wont because you know way more than i do about this, ill bump it up to maybe every 3 days. And definitely with the epsom salts thing, i thought once a week was too little XD... so ill try that out.

With regard to the repotting, as soon as i can get another medium in which to hold my soil and plant ill do that.

Thanks so much for the advice, i really appreciate it TanR

Happy to help Chuckyboy. Yes, these plants require much less water than most people think. It's probably the number thing most newer growers struggle with.

I think you might be well served by trying to water very thoroughly -to the point of having water running out the bottom of container, then letting the plants/container dry out until the plant really starts to look really thirsty/almost drooping. I think we've all let our plants get overly dry and begin to wilt at some point and I promise you they will bounce back from being too dry in a matter of an hour or so when they are then watered. Finding that happy midway point of pretty damn dry but not quite wilting is what we're striving for as the "right" time to then water.

Well now, that actually makes so much more sense than what every other site tells you to do regarding watering. Okay so we'll reach saturation point with a little bit extra for runoff and let that dry up until the plant just starts to droop. Its great for me because im always checking on them due to them being right next to me. I wake up in the mornings so excited to see how much theyve grown. Hahaha, damn man, see this is why nothing can beat experience. No book or anything. So awesome, thanks so much for the help TanR. Ill do an updated picture in a week, lets see how much better this baby gets now.

:thumb::high-five:

I wake up in the mornings so excited to see how much theyve grown. Hahaha, damn man, see this is why nothing can beat experience. No book or anything. So awesome, thanks so much for the help TanR. Ill do an updated picture in a week, lets see how much better this baby gets now.

:thumb::high-five:

I love your spirit bro :)
Hope to see updates soon
With this much love and attention you can never go wrong :)

Wish I could take credit for having said it, but "the only thing addictive about Cannabis is growing it"! I think most of us are right there with you in checking on our plants at least a little more than than we really need to. I agree it is exciting to see the day to day changes and especially those that occur overnight! First thing I do in the morning as well is check on the girls!

So heres the updated photos, my big girl seems to be female from the little hairs on the node. Im also growing what seems to be an indica, the little seedling. As you can see my setup is pretty ghetto, hahaha. but it works. I left the lights off for 24 hours and just had my blue led strips running and the plant seemed to have loved that. so im thinking a few days cfls and 1 day leds, blue ones by the way. there is a slight amount of nutrient burn but i have flushed and its all good now. new soil too, much more nutrients and way more porous. i have space for two more lights in there, wanna make them the big ones. my transition next will be in a fish tank that is huge, covered inside with mylar and painted Black on the outside with a nicely built hood for four fans and a chain system to lower or raise the lights.. hoping to switch to flowing soon if it sticks at this rate of growth. it grew that much in a bout three days after changing the soil and adding nutrients :D. I also swith it up and give it some sun on verry sunny days, the love it. All in all, im a very happy man

oh and the sticks and bands are used to rtrain the plant into a spiral all around the insides, after which ill allow the to grow up uniformly

Hi Chuckyboy

Nothing ghetto about this set up! I love it haha

Just wanted to say good luck with everything. I found watering the HARDEST part to get down in my mind. But once you get yourself a good technique down you will be sorted :)

Keep it up

Shark

Imo try sorting out nutes and soil and water before stressing the plant with training. Instead of all those little unefficient cfls use one hps.you will finally switch to hps, so why not cut the unnecessary expences?
A poor fed plant will produce little yield even if you train it.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom