Help required with seedling

HighGrade159

Hey 420 peeps, I've finally had enough of meeting those shady dealers and getting ripped off, so I've done what I consider to be one of the most ethical and economical decisions I've ever made and that is to grow my own!

A bit of info:

What strain is it? 1x DNA Genetics 60 Day Wonder (1x Little Cheese Auto, 1x Bubblelicious Auto, 1x Pineapple Express Auto all currently germinating)
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Indica Dominant
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor, in a sliding door wardrobe
Soil or Hydro? Soil

My current grow box is actually quite pathetic but for the time being it should do. It's a rather large cardboard box with my only light dangling down from the top. In the coming days I plan to make a much larger box out of MDF that actually takes up my nearly the entire space of the wardrobe. I've ordered 5x 120cm computer case fans which I'll power with a DC adapter, any ideas on good areas of placement? I was thinking of having 3 near the bottom taking air in and two on the box ceiling pushing air out?

I have the following lights ordered:
1x 200w Dual Spectrum CFL
2x 4 in 1 holder Splitter Studio Light Lamp E27 Adapter
10x 30w 2700k Energy Saving CFL Warm bulb E27

My biggest concern is my seedling, who I've decided to name Jeffery. I did the paper towel germination method which was successful. I then planted the seedling into a pre-watered pot and banged it into the grow box. Come a few hours later and the taproot seemed to have emerged from the soil as in the photo below taken around 10PM GMT last night.

photo_1_30.JPG

The seed hadn't been under light for long so I decided to keep them running through the night. However when I woke the the taproot seemed to look weaker and slightly more frail as in the photo below.

photo_3_27.JPG

Any ideas on what going on here? As far as im aware I thought the taproot isn't meant to surface?

That's not the tap root it's Jeff popping up lol. Thats what it looks like at first. Highgrade's idea to give it either sunlight or low lights works for it to stretch out and look like a plant. If you decide to put it under grow lights put it at the side for lower lights til it has time to grow a bit. :goodluck:

My guess is the lite it's under is too strong being the reason it looks weaker the next day.

I typically germinate in a paper towel, then after it has a taproot of at least 1/2" or better I plant tail down about 1/4" - 1/2" in the grow medium. Water well and let stand. I put them under a tube fluorescent and stay within 2" of the pot. CFLs are much hotter. I would suggest a single low watt cfl about 12" away. I don't do anything fancy, they are in the veg room on the same light schedule as the rest. Nothing but water for about 2 weeks. Don't let it dry out, but don't drown it either.

to me it does look like the taproot is coming up, you should see the first 2 round leaves coming up and opening and/or the seed shell (like a little helmet) if that is indeed the taproot and its shriveled it may be to late, at the very least it will most likely stunt the plant if it survives, what i would do is very gently dig it up and get it pointed in the right direction, but doing that could kill it too, its your call, might want to just germ a new seed or to in damp paper towels, good luck and i hope this helps!:peace:

BigIrishDoode you were correct. I gently dug it up and saw the seed at the bottom with the taproot growing upwards. I corrected its position, hopefully that might save it.

I have two other seeds germinating which have a 1/4" taproot, I think I may pot those later today. Just for clarification what direction should the taproot be pointing when I plant the seed?

I also though that roots act upon geotropism so naturally they grow towards gravity? What made mine grow in the direction against it?

My guess would be you buried too shallow, and oriented wrong. I have grown close to an inch taproot in a paper towel and no issues planting them. Some even shed the shell in the towel. Some let the shell crack and plant at first sign. Some germinate directly in the medium.

Back
Top Bottom