Help with assessing trichomes

khoyle

420 Member
Hey all!

I'm getting close to my first harvest and I still don't feel like I can decisively determine the state of my trichomes (even though I've looked at soooo many pics online). I thought it might help to get some input on my own plants. The first pic is of the most mature-looking bud I could find and the rest are close ups of the trichomes around it. They mostly look clear to me but I'm not sure that I'm differentiating properly between clear and cloudy. Any help would be great!

#2Mature.JPG

Mon Aug 02 22-00-25.jpg

Mon Aug 02 21-59-19.jpg

Mon Aug 02 21-48-55.jpg

Mon Aug 02 21-10-00.jpg

Here is a simple way to identify when to harvest:
-Pay attention with the breeder's recommendation. It may not be spot on but it will give you a good general idea of when to harvest. If the breeder says 9 weeks, then you should set your sights on 8-10 weeks as your harvest window.
- When 75-90% of the white hairs turn dark AND start to crinkle in (on most strains), you are in the harvest window. ( I still see white hairs on your bud, so you still have some time.)
-For an energetic/uplifting high: Harvest when trichomes are mostly milky white. For a more couch lock effect, harvest when the trichomes turn amber. The percentage of each is totally up to you but don't wait too late or you start to lose potency.
- Always check your bud and not the sugar leaves when checking for trichome color.
Hint: Sometimes on the first formed buds you will see amber trichomes and clear to milky on the rest of the plant. Don't panic, they were just there first and won the race.

Trichomes that are NOT ready yet will look like glass. Clear and very upright and the tip will not be swollen. In the last pic, you can see that pretty easily along with a couple of amber and some white. Tyson nailed it, I would guess at least a couple of weeks as well. You still have a lot of white hair in there still doing it's thang. Good luck, your bud looks super tasty already!

Thanks for the info and advice! I have some more pics here. I tried to get in there past the sugar leaves to other parts of the flower. I hope they're ok. I'm still trying to learn to use these microscopic devices. These pics are from a different plant but the same strain and started at the same time. I know it's not ready to harvest yet but your input helps me learn! :) Thanks a bunch!

Tue Aug 03 11-01-05.jpg

Tue Aug 03 11-01-44.jpg

Tue Aug 03 11-05-44.jpg

Back
Top Bottom