Help with my LABS

sportyridr

Trying my hand at making some LABS. Using instructions at build a soil.

All was going well, now not so sure what is up. After adding the whole milk and waiting a week/10 days after the rice wash step. I have this configuration.

My curd is at the bottom. I still have 3 distinct layers. Whole thing does not stink, smells kinda fruity actually. However this is not how it looks when checking everyone elses.

Is my SERUM in the middle good to go and I just need to siphon & strain then add the Mollasses?

Here are a few pics of the process. Thanks for any help!
labs 1.jpg
labs 2.jpg
labs 3.jpg
labs 4.jpg
labs 5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That is odd looking. I have only done it once. Mine did not look like that.

Is it bad? I don't think so. When i did my LABs extraction, the curd floated to the top and kept growing; CRAZY! I do know that the "chunk" forms in to a cheese. Presumably, if that "curd chunk" formed a hole of sorts (gas is escaping from it), it could conceivably float down to the bottom. I believe the density of the cheese makes it heavier than water. It floats on top i believe, due to air pockets formed in it.

I would still go forward with your process. If every step so far was adhered to, you should have hungry Lacto in there looking for more sugar.

Strain it in to your new jar and add sugar or molasses, once the time comes.

Did you successfully strain "the middle layer" of the rice wash? I used a turkey baster to get right to it.

That is odd looking. I have only done it once. Mine did not look like that.

Is it bad? I don't think so. When i did my LABs extraction, the curd floated to the top and kept growing; CRAZY! I do know that the "chunk" forms in to a cheese. Presumably, if that "curd chunk" formed a hole of sorts (gas is escaping from it), it could conceivably float down to the bottom. I believe the density of the cheese makes it heavier than water. It floats on top i believe, due to air pockets formed in it.

I would still go forward with your process. If every step so far was adhered to, you should have hungry Lacto in there looking for more sugar.

Strain it in to your new jar and add sugar or molasses, once the time comes.

Did you successfully strain "the middle layer" of the rice wash? I used a turkey baster to get right to it.
Hi @Patient Puffer

Thanks for responding. To answer your question yes I was successful getting middle layer of rice wash out with a turkey baster.

It appears that the curd definately formed but its location on the bottom is what is throwing me if I'm following directions. The middle layer looks to be good yellowish colored Lacto Syrum. As I mentioned its doesn't smell bad so I believe its a good batch. Thinking maybe I missed it when it was at the top (I did not check it a bunch of times per day so its possible I missed it.

I agree with you that I should carry on but was looking for some confirmationi if it is ok or maybe someone has had it happen or knows of the issue happening. All my searches about the curd "on the bottom" or "not on top" sends me down alot of rabbit holes.

If it looks OK to you more experienced then I'll move forward with adding the Molly and get to using this stuff :)

Hi - that doesn’t look like it worked quite right. The curd should be floating. If it were me I’d probably compost that and do it again.

I have a pictorial guide for making it posted here.

And also the original online write up from Gil Carandang which I reproduced here.

if you keep the final serum in the fridge you don’t need molasses.

good luck with it! :thumb:

:thumb: AFAIK that second link (not my pictorial guide, the other one) is the original recipe and comprehensive write up about it. It’s very long! But very worth it if you have the stamina. I’m sure I’ve never read it all in one hit! Check out the opening post for that thread too - I have linked to a new(ish) archive of all the original KNF blogs by Gil Carandang, the person who originally documented the practice for the internet :)
:Namaste:

:thumb: AFAIK that second link (not my pictorial guide, the other one) is the original recipe and comprehensive write up about it. It’s very long! But very worth it if you have the stamina. I’m sure I’ve never read it all in one hit! Check out the opening post for that thread too - I have linked to a new(ish) archive of all the original KNF blogs by Gil Carandang, the person who originally documented the practice for the internet :)
:Namaste:
Thank you, I am over there now perusing...

Back
Top Bottom