Here's my take on sanding seeds: What are your thoughts?

Purplehazer

Hi All

Reading a lot of threads that mention the sanding of seeds ...Mostly to help/ease Germination

Now do i think that's not a good thing, because in my opinion the harder she needs to work to crack open her protective shell, (where the initial nutrients are stored to help her survive the first week) and by sanding the shell she will have no time to absorb them properly and might cause problems in her initial development and maybe show deficiencies (Which we!! As good parents... Want to solve immediately with a bombardment of chemical nutrients!)

Also there's no initial struggle to get the shell cracked, and so she will begin her life weaker than seeds that were germinated without "Help"...Nature has designed that hard shell for good reasons...and i think one of them is "Survival of the fittest"

Anyway those are my thoughts and i'm curious to learn yours
20 4 days till the next 4/20...Keep smoking
Greetings Purple H

I suppose it could be the same as a hatching bird - if they don't struggle to escape the shell - they don't absorb the yolk sac into their body and then starve.
You guys are crazy, need another hobby to do while waiting on your beans to pop. Chill out and burn one, Netflix and chill til that shit pops.

LOL dont make it harder than it has to be. I have never heard of someone needing to sand or scratch a cannabis seed to get it to germinate. spend less time researching weird harmful stuff and more time implementing the basics if you want to learn. evaluate your resources when getting advice.

Settle down, settle down, we are not taking them the bed and fertilizing them!!! :rofl:

Scarifying seeds is a very common and simple practice - whether it needs to be done to weed seeds - who knows - but it probably can't hurt. I take very fine sandpaper and place around the inside of a small tube, drop in seed(s) and give it a good spin!!! Does it improve germination - donno - is it a huge investment in time and money - nope!!

LOL dont make it harder than it has to be. I have never heard of someone needing to sand or scratch a cannabis seed to get it to germinate. spend less time researching weird harmful stuff and more time implementing the basics if you want to learn. evaluate your resources when getting advice.
when you buy commercially sold seeds that are "feminized" they have sanded the shell of the seeds, it is a common practice. suggest you do some reading on a forum, maybe one that specializes in 420?

Settle down, settle down, we are not taking them the bed and fertilizing them!!! :rofl:

Scarifying seeds is a very common and simple practice - whether it needs to be done to weed seeds - who knows - but it probably can't hurt. I take very fine sandpaper and place around the inside of a small tube, drop in seed(s) and give it a good spin!!! Does it improve germination - donno - is it a huge investment in time and money - nope!!
Wanna hear what I do with the old ones that don’t crack open. I take my finger nail and carefully split of one half off the shell and put it back in a damp paper towel til the tail peeks out. I think I’ve had to do this like 4 times in the past like 5 years.

when you buy commercially sold seeds that are "feminized" they have sanded the shell of the seeds, it is a common practice. suggest you do some reading on a forum, maybe one that specializes in 420?
Yeah, they sand the fems and charge 2x as much. Lol, and the regular seeds don’t get no special treatment. Ha ha. I think your tripping bro. Not trying to argue, but why would they do it to fems and not reg beans? Don’t make sense to me...

Yeah, they sand the fems and charge 2x as much. Lol, and the regular seeds don’t get no special treatment. Ha ha. I think your tripping bro. Not trying to argue, but why would they do it to fems and not reg beans? Don’t make sense to me...
I was thinking companies selling old stock would do this to up their germination rates therefore dropping complaints.

While the germination of certain seeds are aided by a slight scuffing, cannabis seeds, like most, are among those that do not require scarification to aid in germination. Proper range of temperature, water and oxygen are all that's required for imbibition (uptake of moisture through the shell membrane.) Other seeds must be scarified by passing through the gut of a bird in order to germinate. Mother nature.

I personally have never read this, apparently I need to do some googling. Mind you I haven't been on the forums in a couple years.

I've never noticed any of my beans being "sanded" when I inspect them prior to germination. You'd think that would be quite noticeable if something smooth was hit with sandpaper, even at a fine grit. Again, I need to research this as I could be way off. Do they even use sandpaper? Lol

The only aid I give my seeds if they don't seem to want to pop I'm moist paper towels is take a fine razor blade or scalpel like hobby tool and score the seam of the seed allowing the moisture to make its way through the membrane. Most times it works but not very often I need to do this. Normally just on old stock I have like mentioned above.

Hi All

Reading a lot of threads that mention the sanding of seeds ...Mostly to help/ease Germination

Now do i think that's not a good thing, because in my opinion the harder she needs to work to crack open her protective shell, (where the initial nutrients are stored to help her survive the first week) and by sanding the shell she will have no time to absorb them properly and might cause problems in her initial development and maybe show deficiencies (Which we!! As good parents... Want to solve immediately with a bombardment of chemical nutrients!)

Also there's no initial struggle to get the shell cracked, and so she will begin her life weaker than seeds that were germinated without "Help"...Nature has designed that hard shell for good reasons...and i think one of them is "Survival of the fittest"

Anyway those are my thoughts and i'm curious to learn yours
20 4 days till the next 4/20...Keep smoking
Greetings Purple H
nature doesnt allow for sandpaper ..just plant and water..i personally feel if the seeds are older and dehydrated slightly..a soak for 12 hours with a half a cap of 5% hydrogen peroxide in a full cup of tap water that has been allowed to sit for a few hours at room temps to dechlorinate..(gas off)..14 hours is the max i have ever let seeds sit in water and i have never had an issue with viable seeds..really old or poorly stored seeds are another issue..if the seeds experience excess humidity in their stored state they may spend energy "in incidental germination" then become non viable as they slowly die..the same is true for seeds that are stored in too dry an environment or one deprived of any oxygen..or stored in too warm an environment..i store mine in wax paper satchel style envelopes i make from old shopping bags a glue stick and a block of parafin..sand paper seems excessive..LOL..good luck with all your seeds my weed brothers and sisters!

Well, I googled and the first thing that popped up just so happens to be from one of the sponsors here. So I figured it was only appropriate to link it here. I see there are other websites with info as well that I will read.

nature doesnt allow for sandpaper ..just plant and water..i personally feel if the seeds are older and dehydrated slightly..a soak for 12 hours with a half a cap of 5% hydrogen peroxide in a full cup of tap water that has been allowed to sit for a few hours at room temps to dechlorinate..(gas off)..14 hours is the max i have ever let seeds sit in water and i have never had an issue with viable seeds..really old or poorly stored seeds are another issue..if the seeds experience excess humidity in their stored state they may spend energy "in incidental germination" then become non viable as they slowly die..the same is true for seeds that are stored in too dry an environment or one deprived of any oxygen..or stored in too warm an environment..i store mine in wax paper satchel style envelopes i make from old shopping bags a glue stick and a block of parafin..sand paper seems excessive..LOL..good luck with all your seeds my weed brothers and sisters!
Interestingly enough, I leave my seeds in a black polyester pouch, in a closed cardboard box on the top shelf of my grow room in my basement. Humidity through the year ranges from 20% to 70% in the basement depending on the weather, I'm in Canada. I've never really had any issues with seeds going bad and I still have some from like 10 years ago. Lots from 5 years ago as well. Anything from breeders was always sealed back up if opened. Maybe it's just luck, or maybe the seeds in question need to be older than what I have?

upon reflection of my own words ..i want to add that if a seed doesnt pop under "normal" circumstances..i am very uninterested in forcing any of my weed to survive the early stages of the growing process..ie i do not encourage my sickly or deficient plants to survive..they get the scissors..lol also goes for difficult seeds that are too hard, old or problematic...let the strong survive..to quote Steve Irwin.."its natures wye"

Funny, I just found this as well on the forum. I wasn't even looking for that info, just seen it pop up.

upon reflection of my own words ..i want to add that if a seed doesnt pop under "normal" circumstances..i am very uninterested in forcing any of my weed to survive the early stages of the growing process..ie i do not encourage my sickly or deficient plants to survive..they get the scissors..lol also goes for difficult seeds that are too hard, old or problematic...let the strong survive..to quote Steve Irwin.."its natures wye"
I see your point, and I know a lot people do the same as you. I myself, buy majority of my seeds and they are always feminized. When buying them, those suckered can cost anywhere from $5 to $20 (canadian) a seed for the most part, and a lot of us just aren't willing to waste that money so easily. Sometimes it could be the last seed in the pack and they really want it to germ.

All sorts of different reason to why we as humans do these things outside of what nature intended :laughtwo:

Interestingly enough, I leave my seeds in a black polyester pouch, in a closed cardboard box on the top shelf of my grow room in my basement. Humidity through the year ranges from 20% to 70% in the basement depending on the weather, I'm in Canada. I've never really had any issues with seeds going bad and I still have some from like 10 years ago. Lots from 5 years ago as well. Anything from breeders was always sealed back up if opened. Maybe it's just luck, or maybe the seeds in question need to be older than what I have?
i am also in Canada..and like about 20% to 15% humidity and a long term storage temp of around 12 to 18 degrees Celcius..that being said its better not to swing the humidity..but temperatures at normal human living conditions (indoors) are usually fine..its probably a more consistent environment inside the box because of still air and an insulating factor! seeds are tougher than we think. i prefer paperboard/cardboard boxes and waxpaper satchels over plastic..even though glass vials or bottles also work..but anything airtight is dangerous for molds or moisture accumulation..essentia moisture inside the seed needs to be encoraged to stay but when stored in large quantities the seeds could release some of this moisture..in an airtight container..this will cause mold.

Funny, I just found this as well on the forum. I wasn't even looking for that info, just seen it pop up.

lol i laugh when i think of people trying to make nature yield to our knives and sandpaper..i use a heating pad and plastic bag with paper towels when i want 100 percent chance of germination..but once i have bred enough seeds of a certain variety..i get way more picky with which seeds/plants get to go i to soil..but for sure ive been there when i over paid for some breeders 5 seed pack..lol i hear and feel what they are saying!

Back
Top Bottom