Here's my take on sanding seeds: What are your thoughts?

When I speak of sanding - I don't mean you meticulously fasten your seed in a tiny vice and then with your little tiny angle grinder give it a touch or two!!!! :rofl:
I try to replicate what a seed would go thru getting scruffed up a bit on the sandy ground - it bangs up against fine sand paper a few times as it gets twirled around inside a jar or whatever your sandpaper is lining!! No force is used - no grinding thru the shell - it just bangs it's head against the sandpaper.

Now I want to get my grinder out and get at it! :rofl:

I would think if trying to replicate nature I wouldn't use sandpaper at all. Just go find some fine crushed stone or beach sand, etc and put it inside a matchbox for example, plop the seeds in there and shake it around.

Just not something I've personally had to do, so it was intriguing.

Now do i think that's not a good thing, because in my opinion the harder she needs to work to crack open her protective shell, (where the initial nutrients are stored to help her survive the first week) and by sanding the shell she will have no time to absorb them properly and might cause problems in her initial development and maybe show deficiencies (Which we!! As good parents... Want to solve immediately with a bombardment of chemical nutrients!)
The nutrients are stored in the cotyledons (baby leaves) not the shell.

As for survival of the fittest, I've had runts that turned out to be the most vigorous plants in my grow, but needed to have their shells scraped with a knife to germinate.
Now I have had runts that never got past an inch or two tall, so I say let natural selection work on the plants once they're out of the shell. Especially as we're breeding this plant further and further from her wild origins. Good argument for the preservation of landrace/heirloom strains.

The shells on old seeds can dry out and get hard over time. Scarifying them helps them open and avoids the cap getting stuck. Personally I like my seeds to sprout and live. Often the old ones have gotten more precious over time.

Settle down, settle down, we are not taking them the bed and fertilizing them!!! :rofl:

Scarifying seeds is a very common and simple practice - whether it needs to be done to weed seeds - who knows - but it probably can't hurt. I take very fine sandpaper and place around the inside of a small tube, drop in seed(s) and give it a good spin!!! Does it improve germination - donno - is it a huge investment in time and money - nope!!
Scarification works great. IF you have older seeds its sometimes the only way to get them to crack.
Seeds age and the shell gets harder as the seed goes into dormancy.

I've had older seeds. Put them in water and nada. Took the rest of the pack and scarified the seeds with a finger nail file and all of them cracked and grew. The first set did not grow or crack open during the soak.

Same experience here. Also w/o scarification sometimes the shells get stuck on after they sprout, and then need very risky surgery to remove them.
Sometimes I just take the seeds and gently, or not so gently, squeeze them in between my fingers till they crack slightly.

Well if a seed does not want to crack...i'll place her a few hours in the fridge and then between wet towels and place her in a warm dark place
Never had to scuff or sand or use a knife just because i lost patience after only two days, I have had seeds that cracked after a week and almost discarded her..just replicate nature and show a bit of patience

And i have never heard of seeds drying out...According to Ed Rosenthal is that not possible and sorry somehow i'll take his word over Seed banks or..Etc etc

Same experience here. Also w/o scarification sometimes the shells get stuck on after they sprout, and then need very risky surgery to remove them.
Sometimes I just take the seeds and gently, or not so gently, squeeze them in between my fingers till they crack slightly.
@Weaselcracker...Risky surgery...Really??

Never heard of a drop of water? and a modelling brush?

If i get a "German Helmet" i moisten the shell with a drop of water so the Membrane gets wet again and after about 30 seconds you take the brush and gently take/brush away the Stuck Seed casing

Groundbreaking knowledge like that and your natural charm could take you far.

I have a Kali China seedling in veg right now that took three different attempts over a few days and lots of poking, prodding and spraying to get the shell off, but now she’s thriving. If I had scarified it wouldn’t have been a problem

edit- I should mention -it wasn’t half a shell. It was the entire shell, with a stem coming out one end, and it was extremely tough to remove.

Groundbreaking knowledge like that and your natural charm could take you far.

I have a Kali China seedling in veg right now that took three different attempts over a few days and lots of poking, prodding and spraying to get the shell off, but now she’s thriving. If I had scarified it wouldn’t have been a problem
Next time...Try a bit of your "natural Charm" maybe she'll rewards you without the need of a Knife:rofl:

It's too small to get a picture of but I got a bit exuberant and in removing the shell I also squished the hell out of everything - leaving a "stump" - but I just left it alone after thinking I can't do much more damage let's see what happens - and I'm not sure but I think I can see reeeeaaallly little wee leaves forming. It's been about 2 - 3 weeks. I'll keep ya posted.

Now I want to get my grinder out and get at it! :rofl:

I would think if trying to replicate nature I wouldn't use sandpaper at all. Just go find some fine crushed stone or beach sand, etc and put it inside a matchbox for example, plop the seeds in there and shake it around.

Just not something I've personally had to do, so it was intriguing.
I use my teeth! Just like a sunflower seed y’all. Just don’t eat it! Ha ha

It's too small to get a picture of but I got a bit exuberant and in removing the shell I also squished the hell out of everything - leaving a "stump" - but I just left it alone after thinking I can't do much more damage let's see what happens - and I'm not sure but I think I can see reeeeaaallly little wee leaves forming. It's been about 2 - 3 weeks. I'll keep ya posted.
Ha ha! That’s funny! I just left it alone after thinking I can’t do much more damage, let’s see what happens. ! Thats rec.! Lol ,the beans are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom