Hi everyone, I am here to discuss the Martian Method

How much difference does it make?
Sounds to me like wheels on a tomato ingenuity
:hookah:

If your LEDs are within 10 years of age, not enough of a difference to warrant any change. If they’re older than that, you may want to look into something a bit newer.

The majority of this knowledge has already been leveraged profitably, initially with blurple lights and now, with most growing grade fixtures on the market. Your average grower doesn’t use CO2 let alone “chlorophyll analyzers, quantum sensors, CO2 sensors, and other types of sensitive equipment”. Most of this isn’t really feasible anywhere but a highly controlled lab setting

Either way technology will never produce billion watt light like nature did!

It’s theoretically possible, however we’re an awful species with terrible priorities and values. The technology would just be used to threaten others, right before we blew ourselves up because the internet connection dropped at the wrong moment 😂

That is the general premise but this summary leaves out the "why." Likely the complexity of the topic devolved public interest over time (though those who still research this do so fervently and with excellent results) while much of this type of research today is financed by universities and NASA. e.g., OptimIA

Effectively the purpose is to achieve greater Oxygen Evolution: Photosynthesis involves capturing light energy to convert water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) into sugar (glucose) and oxygen (O2). Oxygen evolution is an indicator of photosynthetic activity.

The Emerson Effect explains that combining short wave (blue) light with long wave (red) light can lead to a synergistic effect, enhancing photosynthesis beyond the efficiency of using only one wavelength. This is because plants have two photosystems (I and II) that work together:

Photosystem II: Primarily absorbs blue light and is responsible for splitting water molecules, releasing oxygen (O2) as a byproduct.

Photosystem I: Primarily absorbs red light and is involved in the light-dependent reactions that convert NADP+ to NADPH, a key electron carrier in photosynthesis.

When only red light is available, photosystem I might be limited by the availability of electrons from photosystem II (which needs blue light to function). This can lead to a bottleneck and less efficient oxygen evolution.

Key Point:

For optimal photosynthesis, both short wave (blue) and long wave (red) light are important. While red and blue are the most crucial for photosynthesis, other wavelengths like green light can also play a role in plant growth and morphology.

TL;DR:

Optimal light is different plant to plant; sensors like chlorophyll analyzers, quantum sensors, CO2 sensors, and other types of sensitive equipment can measure things like chlorophyll inflorescence and dynamically adjust light in real-time to accelerate a plant's lifecycle by weeks or months. We are still in the baby-steps of this type of research. OLED's have not even gone commercial yet.

I’ll bite though, since I personally believe there is no limit to what we can do if we stop blowing each other up and you never know what kind of tips are hiding in plain sight.

What do you see coming from this? Is this something you see ever reaching a home grower level? The suite of sensors and applications you would need would come with a hefty price tag and some serious maintenance requirements, do you think this would be justified? Do we know if plants just grow faster or do they also age as well? A plant can be as tall as a tree, if it’s not sexually mature though, it does me no good.

First, thank you mods, and thank you kind welcomes.

Second, this is super rough-drafty with lots of holes, I promised my dog we would go play fetch, understand my heart is open and I am a clear sativa heart chakra type person and I'm also a warrior so if I find a big wall here my warship fades back into the fog.

Tertiarily, your curiosity will drive this boat. If you are wondering something I've probably been there and can boost you on that question.

Quaternarily, I know some of yall still do the martian method from a very limited state, e.g. using your reds, far-reds, blues, maybe some 3 or 4 or 5 or 6k whites.

I can go into things like lighting schedules on a nanosecond and millisecond pulse.

So imagine a 12/12 lighting schedule 12 on 12 off.

Now imagine 12 nanoseconds on and 12 nanoseconds off.

But to your naked eye the light is on 24 hours and you cannot perceive the off portion of light.

(Small preface addressing social resistance, furthering the proof of who I am and that I care about people, then some thanks and some relevant information).

Some nice people responded so I will stick around.
99996170722-0-0.png

Leveraging LEDs to exploit the Emerson effect for accelerated photosynthesis through toggling red (R) and far-red (FR) light is a promising technique in controlled environment agriculture (CEA).

Further than that is toggling other wavelengths and analyzing real-time data to emit wavelengths responding to photosynthetic changes within the plant to stop bottlenecks of oversaturation of photons in the plant's cells.

In other words every grower on the planet has bottlenecks of oversaturation, wasted light, hitting their plants.

What if you could immediately have that wasted light deactivated then activate another wavelength the plant could use?

Yes, we are in the infancy of this concept.

Yes the potential for a device which does it all is on the horizon.

Yes even 15 years ago the idea of affordable LED for $100 was simply inconceivable much like the device with sensors and AI algorithms is inconceivable but it's really not, this is something that is 2-5 years away.

With enough notice it could be a year away but look there are people who won't believe LED grows good bud, maybe it's because they'e never been without their ego, I mean without bud, but you get the idea.

If you want to run me off because ecophysiology is hard to think about then watch this youtube video instead.

My experience on Internet forums is mixed (yet to find a home). I lean toward doing things like my friend Angus at TRSC and stay off the forums to avoid the unkind victimology people who want to use me for their punching bag. Other forums gladly defend harassers and speedily push out productive members. This forum thankfully relocated someone from this thread already and to me that shows a healthy state of ownership.

The Emerson Effect (first described in 1957 Emerson effect - Wikipedia), affectionately referred to as The Martian Method, is important enough to me I want to reignite the flame. It was all the rage for nearly a decade and did not die down because full-spectrum is better." Which method is better" is an inaccurate assessment of what is at stake. Big deal the sun or shoplights can grow it too; who exactly does not know that?
The sun is emitting 25% far-red which is hugely ineffecient for photosynthesis and completely unnecessary for maximizing quantum efficiency and quantum yield.
If you want to brawl on the facts when you don't have them, let's gooooo.

Last thing to say on social resistance and haters is I have successfully muted the "This idea is stupid, go away, 'baitin." folks and _ _ _ is already banned from this thread |-- :)byebye:) -- |
tenor-856550545.gif

If you are one of the haters I literally do not care if you do not care, so don't pause to take a dump in this thread hoping you shut down healthy conversation.

I opened this thread looking for people who do care, mostly for people who are aware, not to tally who does not care. You won't find me in your threads telling you you suck so don't do it to me. You can't do that in person so don't pretend it's okay here.

This is not a thread about "Your way of growing is wrong please be offended by my accusation because your ego is so fragile you cant help your self but attack me."

This idea is like how some people are obsessed with airplane engines and airplanes are not cars or helicopters and helicopters are not drones yet there is interplay between them all (physics, travel, time, space, commerce, some drones are helicopters, etc etc)

There are members on other forums who practice a crazy mix of martian-method influenced LED, MH, HPS, Mercury-vapor, etc etc with great success.

If this is you I encourage you to continue your experimentation and find some valuable gems in your rabbit-hole to show us.

I hope everyone similarly does something unique unlike what others practice. The very fact every phenotype is different requires that we exact a unique take on the martian method because the formula is merely a starting point much like we all require water but you can't force 10oz of water down everyone's throat every 8 hours to everybody.

Eventually I will get to more interesting concepts like Pulse Width Modulation, Pulse Amplitude Modulation, Fast Fourier Transforms, Chlorophyll Fluorescence
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
Anything I can help with let me know. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thank you Bill, bless up.
Just curious, do you have a smoke detector in the grow area?
Check this thread. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
:rofl: Very important indeed. On that note if anyone is curious about heat-sink research I have my toes in the water there too. Basically 10 square inchs of aluminum per watt .. hence fins .. and sometime in the future, fractal designs and combined materials like semiconductor-based cooling systems or advanced ceramics .. totally deep hole to dive in for this thread but we can go there too.
adv-heatsink.jpeg

Welcome to 420 Magazine @RGB Interesting theory you have there.

Will you actually be growing and showing this new method?
Do you have any images of this process?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..
Hi Tokin, yes there will be a reveal.
I must stress that this is not a new method, research goes back 75 years, it became widely popular on the forums ~2006/2008, peaked around 2010/2012 and died down around 2014/2016. Interest in it is sort of like the same following straight-edge indiecore music might have; underground, fervent, real.

The Emerson Effect is only a starting point for things.

The method matters not only specie to specie but phenotype to phenotype and which gene expression(s) is being prioritized.

I mostly want to see who else has kept up with research and for those newly interested, do my best to fill in the blanks so they can see the groundwork laid and look out onto the view of how tremendous the infancy of what this concept has unveiled.

The scientific research going back 8 decades is so voluminous I need to curate down information.

While the method is proven in many plant specie including egyptian barley, algae, etc etc (other boring commonly experimented science plants) research for Cannabis really only goes back to ~2012/14/16/2018.
I get the bro-science guys, "Dude NASA is dumb they can just get lights on Amazon like me." (I mute them
:ganjamon:
) Their very existence is to hurt others, they must hate the Rastafari too.
:welcome: to the forum @RGB :passitleft: Any Martians? Of course there are, men are from Mars, women are from Venus, and I heard all other genders come from Uranus :rofl::rofl: sorry :hmmmm: been waiting to use that one :snowboating:
Thanks Mocha. Nice to meet you.

Back
Top Bottom