How close can I put my 250w HPS to young seedlings

AgedMaster

I was wondering how close i can go with hps light is top of tent currently i grew autoflowers last time and kept light top of tent for seedling stage but im growing photoperiod this time and 1 auto i no that photoperiod has 2 week seedling stage if i keep light top of tent they will stretch over that extra week and fall over
WP_20220903_09_03_13_Pro - Copy.jpg
WP_20220903_09_03_18_Pro - Copy.jpg

I'd say about 12 inch for those little sprouts :green_heart:

How ever whilst using a HPS for this stage of growth can be done..... but we are missing a whole bunch load of fuzzyness !

What I may refer to as in the correct spectrum of light for vegging & flowering, Ah technical stuff..... I do hope I remember what I'm talking about, lolz :thumb:

Vegging in short this includes sprouts but not the brussels kind, got it !

Lighting MH aka metal halide, CFL 6400k (kelvin) another measurement of light in the spectrum range, LED, T5 or 8 tubes same light spectrum, basically offer more blue light spectrum which is used whilst vegging & good for growth keeping plants more compact depending on genetics etc.

HPS for vegging you may expect lots of stretch with plants getting leggy etc this is partly down to light spectrum being in the red or around 2100k (kelvin) or just plain darn silly hanging height !

AKA light depreciates over distance = gets weaker - so ya gonna have to pay some attention to the chart above which is decades old & really not up to date but holds some valid facts.

HPS are in general around 2100 k (kelvin) the light spectrum basically peaks in the red which is good for flowering :)

Ye I know, you got some home work to do young padawan !

Good research when you find the time :Namaste:

How ever whilst using a HPS for this stage of growth can be done..... but we are missing a whole bunch load of fuzzyness !

What I may refer to as in the correct spectrum of light for vegging & flowering, Ah technical stuff..... I do hope I remember what I'm talking about, lolz :thumb:

Lighting MH aka metal halide, CFL 6400k (kelvin) another measurement of light in the spectrum range, LED, T5 or 8 tubes same light spectrum, basically offer more blue light spectrum which is used whilst vegging & good for growth keeping plants more compact depending on genetics etc.

HPS for vegging you may expect lots of stretch with plants getting leggy etc this is partly down to light spectrum being in the red or around 2100k (kelvin) or just plain darn silly hanging height !

AKA light depreciates over distance = gets weaker - so ya gonna have to pay some attention to the chart above which is decades old & really not up to date but holds some valid facts.

HPS are in general around 2100 k (kelvin) the light spectrum basically peaks in the red which is good for flowering :)

Hi pal my light is dual spectrum when it first powers on there is a lot of white then it turns to orange i can get bulbs for hps that are either for veg or for flower or u can buy a dual spectrum i grew autos last time this exact way i kept light top of tent whole way through seedling stage. i can only go so close cause of heat from bulb it gets real hot i have it about 3 foot away now and its 26c. ive left a gap in top of cup so i can put more coco in case they stretched so i can sturdy them. im more worried about them burning

right i just looked online at my bulb and its 2000k but dual spectrum wtf hopefully all will be good i cant afford a bulb at the moment so i have to use what i have Thanks bud

Dual spectrum bulb should be ok, I think it is the hanging distance which is causing the stretch.

Remember that chart the greater the distance the less light energy you get ! = stretch.

Ok it is little bit uncomfortable at first finding the right balance with light distance & over all temperature of the grow area...

As ya mention 26c is about spot on, it is getting conditions right for the plant to grow which really makes the difference....

Back in the old days we use to call it dialing the grow in :thumb:

Check my critical kush grow, from seedling to flower all HPS. Can be done just got to know how to control the heat

I’m full time HPS, about 14-18 inches. Do the hand test. Put your hand at canopy level, leave it there for 15 seconds. If it burns you it will burn them. Happy growing 😁
Hi pal will lower light i will try 2 foot see how they are the problem with hand test is im sensitive to heat i have light 3 foot away and it feels like im getting sun burned i use a hpi temp gun here it is
1662355913391.png

Hi pal will lower light i will try 2 foot see how they are the problem with hand test is im sensitive to heat i have light 3 foot away and it feels like im getting sun burned i use a hpi temp gun here it is
1662355913391.png
I’ve got an HPS light chart somewhere will find and send it over to you. Goes into coverage and distance, not an exact science but possibly a better indicator than the temperature gauge

HPS light is a bit more forgiving when it comes to heat. I’ve had canopy levels of 32’c in summer with no real detriment to final yield. Sure there is someone that knows the technological side of it on here but think I’m correct

Anyhoo will find the chart and ping it over

Back
Top Bottom