How cold can it get?

dwlb051

420 Member
Hi

I have a Malawi x Panama sativa, it's huge (8 ft) but it is slow to flower. I'm in the Boston area and I'm concerned about a freeze before it's ready. How cold can it get before it kills the plant?

Thanks

A hard freeze will kill tropical strains. It could survive 28 degrees if covered. The sun on frozen plant leaves and flowers is the most damaging part so uncover after the temperature rises and the plant warms. Stakes, cotton rope and all your quilts to make a tent...
First and last freeze/frost dates for Boston, MA, United States. Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 8 through May 4. Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from October 22 through April 22. You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 17 through September 24.

Lots of new growers trying their hand at it this first full summer grow season.
Yep, @bluenoserjoe , there are lots a' new growers, and/or new outdoor growers, who for the first time in their lives have had to notice where the sun comes up and where it sets, the time it rises and sets, and whether it really does shine on their garden area as many hours in a day as they thought. There is a lot more to outdoor growing than just growing outside.

Or, that often frost will form on their car roof before it forms on their windshield. And this first frost might not even form on any plants.

If at all possible, just throw something over the marijuana plants when a frost is expected. The first couple of frosts will usually not be severe enough to damage or kill a protected plant. Frequently, after that first frost I will experience a week up to 10 plus days of frost free nights. As long as the plant was protected those couple of nights I end up with more time for them to finish. It works with vegetables and flowers so it should work with marijuana plants.

Oh, and plants in front of a south facing wall will often survive the first couple of light frosts, even without a cover, because of the heat radiated by the wall during the night.

Is it in the ground? I've been telling my friends who want to grow outside to grow in 5gal buckets so they can haul them in after the sun says "you're on your own". Cheers mate, luck to your grow! :yahoo:

Ive regularly had my temps at 9 too 11c here in the UK, that was a blueberry twist grow, i was a bit on edge too say the least but went with a good friends advice, for some reason "thats just totally gone over my head???" I cant remember the true benefits off doing it, it deffo had something too do with the increase in trichome production, thats at lights off 12/12

Back
Top Bottom