How do I put a seedling in soil into a DWC bucket netpot safely?

mangosnapper

I have a seedling of " Great White Shark " I started in soil thats a couple of weeks old. And everything looks healthy as can be... My situation is that I just purchased a DWC bubble bucket system and it has a 10" net pot lid.

~ I want to safely transfer the seedling from soil ...To the net pot in the bucket without stressing the poor girl out, and making her new home just lovely. Is there a special or preferred way of doing this? Any help from my Green growing brothers or sisters in arms is much appreciated...As Always. ~

:green_heart:

Gentle wash soil of roots...

Might get some tempory stress while the plant is settling into a new system !

Air stone in DWC bucket is well worth while & don't forget to monitor res temp which should be around 65f to 68f for optimal conditions.

:Namaste:

Fuzzy...you always come through for me Brother!!!! ... I'll put some vitamin B soakage before I transplant the lil' Shark. Oh, the sugar plum fairies dancing in my head just thinking about some THC covered White strain in my stable of ponies. And Blue Planet Nutrients have done me pretty solid, I must say. My Church plants roots were pretty bad ( my fault ) and BPN's brought it back to life. Hopefully the harvest will be saved too.

~ I'll Do a Journal for the Great White Shark...Peace my Brother ~

:ganjamon:

Gentle wash soil of roots...

Might get some tempory stress while the plant is settling into a new system !

Air stone in DWC bucket is well worth while & don't forget to monitor res temp which should be around 65f to 68f for optimal conditions.

Heyy fuzzy howlong about do u think it takes to recover? And if the plant wont survive how early can you tell? Because i just recently transplanted from soil to dwc myself, and its been 2 days, i have some nutes in the water ppm is at like 167 and ph around 5.5-6, and the plant still there, hasnt died yet, and is not looking droopy neither, ive been watering tho myself the hydrotons around the plant with water from the reservoir and back in it again.

its not ideal to transplant from soil to hydro but it can be done successfully.

gently wash soil from roots then transplant to net pots. clay pebbles ur medium right? make sure pebbles are well rinsed or they play havock with ph. i would dip roots in some pirahana. i wouldnt put any nutes in the dwc as u will most likely find its just a waste. the plant will have to put out new roots and this could take days or even weeks, depending on plant health, room environment and size of roots already. once roots start sprouting through net pot, add nutes then. or u may find ur emptying a res of nutes thats not been used.

id recommend res change every 7 days. diff nutes stay fresh longer and what the plant uses affects time but if u stick to every 7 days u be safe. get as much air as poss in buckets, the plant will thank u for it. a stronger than recommended pump i always go for, and usually 2 air stones per bucket although 1 will do the job.

oh as an afterthought. i highly recommend that u use cannazym along side ur base nutes and feeding schedule. it works wonders to get healthy roots in dwc. ive grown with it and with out it and there is a marked difference in root health wen using. other optionals are combination of voodoo juice, piranha, carboload, b-vits.

its not ideal to transplant from soil to hydro but it can be done successfully.

gently wash soil from roots then transplant to net pots. clay pebbles ur medium right? make sure pebbles are well rinsed or they play havock with ph. i would dip roots in some pirahana. i wouldnt put any nutes in the dwc as u will most likely find its just a waste. the plant will have to put out new roots and this could take days or even weeks, depending on plant health, room environment and size of roots already. once roots start sprouting through net pot, add nutes then. or u may find ur emptying a res of nutes thats not been used.

id recommend res change every 7 days. diff nutes stay fresh longer and what the plant uses affects time but if u stick to every 7 days u be safe. get as much air as poss in buckets, the plant will thank u for it. a stronger than recommended pump i always go for, and usually 2 air stones per bucket although 1 will do the job.

oh as an afterthought. i highly recommend that u use cannazym along side ur base nutes and feeding schedule. it works wonders to get healthy roots in dwc. ive grown with it and with out it and there is a marked difference in root health wen using. other optionals are combination of voodoo juice, piranha, carboload, b-vits.

Ur probably familiar with the hesi kit, that is what i use i purchased from UK, thanks for the good info, now one more question, until the roots start developing again do you have wash the medium or u just let the bubbles do the work?

u can top feed if u like but i never do it. but the strains i grow root aggressively. if plants dont look limp then dont top feed, make the roots search for the water. im not familiar with the hesi kit? what is it? nutes? if the plant is looking healthy on top do nothing. what lighting are u using and what is room humity and temp. if the plants look dry u can just dip net pots in res once or twice daily till roots show. ideally have air pump outside grow area so u are pumping in fresh o2.

u can top feed if u like but i never do it. but the strains i grow root aggressively. if plants dont look limp then dont top feed, make the roots search for the water. im not familiar with the hesi kit? what is it? nutes? if the plant is looking healthy on top do nothing. what lighting are u using and what is room humity and temp. if the plants look dry u can just dip net pots in res once or twice daily till roots show. ideally have air pump outside grow area so u are pumping in fresh o2.

Hesi kit are micronutrients, its a highend UK brand if im not mistaken but anyway, what happened cultivator at first was, i had a seed in rockwool then i placed it in the bucket, but i failed on that because i had the water level up to the net, so it wasnt reaching the cube therefore it dried out and died by day 5 lol :/ stupid of me for not using my common sense.. and then the second attempt was, i had this seedling in soil 3 weeks old, which i transfer to the bucket almost 3 days ago, like i said its lookin healthy not droopy at all, but ive been watering it everyday from the top, afraid it might die like the other one lol. so at this point what should i do? stop feeding from top and just wait? my lighting is 400w ml, room temp is around 78-83 lights on, humidity i guess is around 50-65, ph 5.5-6 and 160ppm

This is how its looking, some of the bottom leaves were already or had yellowing spots on it since it was in soil, now i just noticed the bottom leaves turn completely yellow thats it, nothing major what do u think?

2013-05-27_18_25_59.jpeg

Keeping it wet with the top watering will help while it is settling into it's new home. A dome will do the same.
If it's looking healthy after 3 days it's most likely already developing new roots. When I transfer from soil to dwc
I put the water level high enough in the net pot to just under the roots until I see new roots coming out then drop the
level a few inches to make them stretch. I up the nutes from 1/4 to 1/2 or so at this point too.

Those leaves look so weird... o.o

it looks alright in terms of surviving though and i dont think there is any problem with watering from the top every day.

I have had oxygenated water pouring through my medium constantly via a small pond pump from the very beginning, just make sure you have enough air in the water (and that the water is a low enough temperature to hold oxygen) and you wont drown them.
setup.png

So today i noticed new root and leaf growth on my soil transplanted plant, so i guess im headed the right direction :) so i decided to change the added, and i added 1/2 nutes for now, but my ppm is only at 150, so does that mean i should add more nutes?

Right, i was just wondering because based on a chart i saw i should be around 300-400ppm for the early vegging stage that im at. So my ppm being only at 150 u dont think it shud be a prob should it?

No it won't be a problem. In a week or so you will see a big difference in the roots and new growth up top.
Then is the time to start stepping on the gas.

No it won't be a problem. In a week or so you will see a big difference in the roots and new growth up top.
Then is the time to start stepping on the gas.

Hey, sounds good oldman, thanks for ur input i appreciate it. I guess i will be posting an update pic in about a week or so to see the progress. Peace!

I got my DWC bucket today in the mail... the air pump is really weak ( 3 watts @ 28 gallons an hour. with a 2" air stone ) it makes bubbles...but weaker than any air pump I have ever seen. Also, instead of hydroton pebbles they sent me ( Grow Rocks ) they look like regular stones, but they are really lightweight and float. Almost like a Lava feel to them.

~ Any suggestions about this set-up?... should I get a bigger air pump and hydroton? ~ :surrender: ... :scratchinghead:

I got my DWC bucket today in the mail... the air pump is really weak ( 3 watts @ 28 gallons an hour. with a 2" air stone ) it makes bubbles...but weaker than any air pump I have ever seen. Also, instead of hydroton pebbles they sent me ( Grow Rocks ) they look like regular stones, but they are really lightweight and float. Almost like a Lava feel to them.

~ Any suggestions about this set-up?... should I get a bigger air pump and hydroton? ~ :surrender: ... :scratchinghead:

~ also, they sent me a few pieces of rockwool, most definitely not GRODAN... Don't I have to soak them overnight in PH solution or something? .... HELP...PLEASE... :reading420magazine:

~ also, they sent me a few pieces of rockwool, most definitely not GRODAN... Don't I have to soak them overnight in PH solution or something? .... HELP...PLEASE... :reading420magazine:

Soaking them over night..i thought i read that somewhere too, never quite hit me what the point of that was, but me i just soaked them in the phd water, and after day 3 it had already germinated and it was already sticking out. Idk about the medium ur using, im using hydroton, and as far as the pump goes, mine only does 31gallon an hour, very week pump too, but your water level will be 2 inches under the cup just about, once the roots of ur plant touches the bottom of the net pot, so at that moment ur really only going to have 2 gallons of water in the bucket, and the pump will be sufficient, until later on when the root becomes massive, thats when id probably switch to a better pump.

Back
Top Bottom