How do you identify sex while in veg?

I've heard a couple people say now that they have Male Plants they are keeping in Veg. I want to know how they Identify a Male from a Female while in Veg. They don't have balls or hairs so that's not how. I've heard something about round or spear shaped calyx or crossed & uncrossed . So how do you tell ?

If you're in question about sex its usually a male. So what I do with the questionable plants is just put them in flower in the VEG container.

When they show me they are males I cull.

When they show me they are female I up-can to a larger container.

9 out of 10 that I cant sex are male.

I have found that males tend to show first, because mother nature designed it to be that way so that the pollen is ready and already in the air by the time the females start to bloom. Occasionally one will be the exception, but in my experience the late ones tend to be girls. My Hippy Hash that I just harvested was one of those. She would not show, even 8 weeks into veg and there were no calyxes to get behind and look at. I almost threw her out, but in a last minute move I put her in the bloom room with the rest of them that had showed weeks before, and lo and behold, she started throwing out pistils. The bottom line, you never know, until you know.

Males do show early when in Flower but in VEG I've found they try and look like females for the obvious reason.

I've been fooled more times than I care to think about. Thats why I suggested not up-potting questionable plants until verified. Since males show first in flower its pretty easy.

Females I usually identify in VEG. 9 out of 10 females I know are females before we flip to flower.

Still plenty of time I dont stress over sexing .... no pressure no pressure.... I'll be right over here with my loppers when you're ready. lol

if you shine a flashlight from the back side as you are examining a calyx, you can oftentimes determine if it is sitting down flush on the notch of the main branch or if it is rising up on its own little stem. Those that rise up on their own stalks are males, and if it is solidly seated on the notch, it is female.
Going to try this out. I just put my 9 plants in Flower this morning. Only 3 are Fem seeds & the rest Regs. so want to catch the males ASAP.

Take a clone of each and put clones straight to 12/12
Done that several times. I was looking to see if it was possible by just looking for certain things while it's still in veg without cloning. I'm going to try what Emilya said to see if I can properly identify a male or not. I'll mark the ones I think are males & then wait to see if I'm right since I've never tried this method yet. Got nothing to lose so may as well give it a shot.

Done that several times. I was looking to see if it was possible by just looking for certain things while it's still in veg without cloning. I'm going to try what Emilya said to see if I can properly identify a male or not. I'll mark the ones I think are males & then wait to see if I'm right since I've never tried this method yet. Got nothing to lose so may as well give it a shot.
Sorry I don't see her posts , sometimes you can tell by the shape and height , taller and thinner males usually are, so they pollinate the lower females :goodluck:

Sorry I don't see her posts , sometimes you can tell by the shape and height , taller and thinner males usually are, so they pollinate the lower females :goodluck:
The height thing I'm aware of. But that kind of depends on the strain. Kind of hard to tell if you only grow 1 plant of each strain because nothing to compare it to. Now if I had 4 of the same strain & 1 was taller than the rest I would be leaning toward the one plant being a male.
It doesn't sound like there's a totally fool proof way to know for sure while in veg. I think it's more of an educated guess.

Back
Top Bottom