How long have you cured? The longest

I dry to about 60-65% RH. My drying box is in my flowering room, and the dehumidifier there is set to 60% so that’s about as dry as the bud can go.
Then I toss it in a jar with a Boveda 62 pack. That’s about it. The only times I open the jars after that are to inspect the bud or take some out to use. I don’t ‘burp’ the jars unless I need it to dry the bud more.

I dry to about 60-65% RH. My drying box is in my flowering room, and the dehumidifier there is set to 60% so that’s about as dry as the bud can go.
Then I toss it in a jar with a Boveda 62 pack. That’s about it. The only times I open the jars after that are to inspect the bud or take some out to use. I don’t ‘burp’ the jars unless I need it to dry the bud more.
My main reason for burping the last few times is really just a smell test actually.
Just to make sure there's no ammonia or moldy type smells which there never has been so far but just to make absolutely certain before closing them all up in the dark for months.

It's all good man I'm not one of those people who get mad cuz your asking questions on my thread it's all information for everyone this was free for me idk about you but idc bro education and information should be free and available to anyone
Cool, because I have a question that doesn't quite fit this thread, but is still within the realm of curing...

How long does it usually take (on average) for the grass/hay smell to be replaced by that lovely aroma of good quality cannabis that we all know and love?

Cool, because I have a question that doesn't quite fit this thread, but is still within the realm of curing...

How long does it usually take (on average) for the grass/hay smell to be replaced by that lovely aroma of good quality cannabis that we all know and love?
Depends a bit on your drying time, if you do a nice slow dry of at least 10 days that will help.
And also if you had a proper final senescence period where most of the fan leaves have turned yellow or whatever color like purple etc.
If you have too much nitrogen the final couple weeks and it's really dark green to the bitter end then it will take longer to get rid of the chlorophyll.

Usually about 4 weeks of cure and you start to get the true flavors and smells.
A Blueberry that I did last year took a good 9 months before it smelled exactly like Blueberries.

Blueberry.... at nine months there it was- blueberries.

A Blueberry that I did last year took a good 9 months before it smelled exactly like Blueberries

Echoey in here... ;)

Re the hay smell. I remember that well from when I was first growing and I remember asking the same question a lot. But honestly it’s been a long time since I’ve smelled that hay thing. My bud smells good right throughout the whole grow, dry and cure process. So I think a lot of it must be associated with harvest and drying conditions ?

In any case, as said, the bud just improves over months of cure time, but after about a month is usually starting to straighten itself out a bit.

Echoey in here... ;)

Re the hay smell. I remember that well from when I was first growing and I remember asking the same question a lot. But honestly it’s been a long time since I’ve smelled that hay thing. My bud smells good right throughout the whole grow, dry and cure process. So I think a lot of it must be associated with harvest and drying conditions ?

In any case, as said, the bud just improves over months of cure time, but after about a month is usually starting to straighten itself out a bit.
Ha, didn't even notice you basically said exact same thing.
Yeah I don't get really any hay smell at all, it just goes from good to better the first few months then to great around the 9 month point.

Depends a bit on your drying time, if you do a nice slow dry of at least 10 days that will help.
And also if you had a proper final senescence period where most of the fan leaves have turned yellow or whatever color like purple etc.
If you have too much nitrogen the final couple weeks and it's really dark green to the bitter end then it will take longer to get rid of the chlorophyll.

Usually about 4 weeks of cure and you start to get the true flavors and smells.
A Blueberry that I did last year took a good 9 months before it smelled exactly like Blueberries.
Echoey in here... ;)

Ha, didn't even notice you basically said exact same thing.
Yeah I don't get really any hay smell at all, it just goes from good to better the first few months then to great around the 9 month point.
Yeah, this was my first harvest, so I may have over dried it initially. Most of what I've read says 7-10 days. I checked it at 6 days, and the stems snapped quite easily already. They were small plants, so maybe 4-5 days would have been better. On the other hand, my current grow is smelling WAY better than my first, so maybe it'll work out better.

My drying box situation really isn’t the greatest. Drying time is affected by a lot of things including how much bud is in the box, outside temps and RH, etc. Sometimes bud dries in four days in there, sometimes ten. It still smells fine and I’m still not getting that hay smell anymore- so maybe Nunyabiz was right about the chlorophyll causing it, I’m not sure. I’m much better than I used to be at managing the needs of the plants in late flowering.

I’m much better than I used to be at managing the needs of the plants in late flowering.
I guess that's what I need to learn. Can you point me towards a thread that might address this issue so I don't make the same mistake twice? I have some OG Kush autos that should be ready to harvest in about a month, and I'd like to avoid whatever I did wrong the first time.

Ok, well now I have to throw out a bunch of vague info and disclaimers.

First off - I don’t grow autos and know nothing about them- if it makes any difference.

Second- I don’t actually know if the hay smell relates to growing or feeding/harvesting practices. I just know I used to have that issue all the time, and now- I’d almost forgotten all about it. But, I did a lot of things wrong in the early days and there Are probably a lot of reasons my weed could have smelled like hay.

Third- there are different ways you could do things depending on what medium you’re growing in. Living organic soil is a different thing than deep water culture. I’m growing in peat moss/perlite. There are many variables.

There are a few schools of thought on how to treat the plant before harvest. Some are adamant that you should feed right up to the end. I taper off or even completely stop the feed two or three weeks before harvest. I like to see the plant use up the nutrients contained in its leaves. At this stage the plant does a wonderful job of feeding off of itself. The leaves turn fall colours, and the buds get nice and ripe and sticky.

But - I also chop my plants a couple weeks later than most. So, the stage where I am starting to reduce nutrients might be the same stage at which some people are chopping the plant.

It seems to me that if I feed a plant full strength right to the finish- it looks like crap.
I have a couple plants of the same strain and stage in flowering now and I am going to test what it’s like if I feed one full strength right till the end vs starving the other one. That experiment is a couple months away still though.

Here are a couple threads where you can hear the people argue... uhh... discuss the issue.

Back
Top Bottom