How much does your plant weight? (full plant) Creating a chart for weight watering

rokkie

420 Member
Hi all! I am trying to create a chart for the watering by weight technique to share with the community.
For that I would need your input. Can you please post below the following:
Plant strain,pot size, week, watering interval and quantity and weight of plant minus pot weight before watering.

Big thanks!

Too many variables from 1 grower to the next, pot sizes are not standardized, how full is the container? is it hard-side or fabric? what soil mix? was it amended? how much water was added? what’s rh value of the grow room?

As far as the plant weight same thing too many variables, a new grower will have smaller plants with less yield while experienced peeps will have bigger plants with bigger yields. Basically the plant itself weighs nothing when compared to the weight of a gallon of soil. There’s no way for anyone to know the weight of their plant unless they dig it up and wash off all the soil….probably not a lot of volunteers ready for that

You’ll have spreadsheets from here to Timbuktu

the best method is to weigh your own container of soil mix before watering it, you simply ignore weight of plant… you will learn to water properly over time but more water doesn’t equate to faster growth.

Another method is to simply use a bamboo bbq skewer or dowel rod as moisture meter. The skewer must hit bottom of the container to be accurate. Press one into the soil at an angle tip should hit near center under rootball. Don’t worry about hitting roots, use same hole each time. The dowel should not be near the edge of fabric contsiner since they dry faster, leave dowel in place for 30 minutes. Place a sharpie marker spot on the stick right at the soil line. When you remove the stick there will be visible indicator of the soils moisture recorded on the stick. You can literally see and feel that the stick is wet…

Applaud your effort but there’s easier way to skin this cat…

the best method is to weigh your own container of soil mix before watering it

this right here. nothing else. a dry pot with the plant weighs about the same.

Hi all! I am trying to create a chart for the watering by weight technique to share with the community.

it's already been more than well covered here :

have a read through on proper watering technique there.

this right here. nothing else. a dry pot with the plant weighs about the same.

it's already been more than well covered here :

have a read through on proper watering technique there.
Yes. I understand the variables here are a lot, but has everything when you gather big data there is always patterns that you can establish, plus it could be a way to find relative standard measurements for things like pot that would help to create better reference points.
Since we have humidity, temperature and even the feeding already with charts, if you cross them with more variables you will achieve predictable values for other factors.
I have been reading a lot and still not enough about the subject but like how much to water, you see people pointing very different values, I've read some that said to water 10% of the weight of the pot, others saying a third of the volume and so on.
I think we could win something with this and since lots of people are measuring anyway, what is there to loose?

Soil type and pot size wouldn't be taken in consideration at this point that's why I ask to remove that. Just the plant weight. Obviously trimming has a big impact on that, but initially I would like to see if a pattern appears in this factors to see if there are common values in different stages

sorry brother you're not making sense.
you can't weigh the plant alone without the media and pot. and different media and pots weigh different amounts. folk don't water consistent either which is the bulk of the weight.
seems a complicated way to run in a circle.

you might have to divide by media at the least. wish you luck with it.

sorry brother you're not making sense.
you can't weigh the plant alone without the media and pot. and different media and pots weigh different amounts. folk don't water consistent either which is the bulk of the weight.
seems a complicated way to run in a circle.

you might have to divide by media at the least. wish you luck with it.
You can measure you initial pot with the seedling, even having loses it would be just a few grams and if you change pots you just calculate the difference, that is doable. You just need to know the initial state

Then you can calculate based on the average humidity the quantity of weather inside and it's weigh, with that it starts to be fun 😊

You can measure you initial pot with the seedling, even having loses it would be just a few grams and if you change pots you just calculate the difference, that is doable. You just need to know the initial state

if you read the watering thread it's the exact same thing. only far less complicated and easier. also specific to the individual grower. no two conditions are the same. nothing is new here at all.

I've read it. But with this maybe you could automatise watering by weight without needing multiple sensors per pot that have a lifespan defined by corrosion

I've read it. But with this maybe you could automatise watering by weight without needing multiple sensors per pot that have a lifespan defined by corrosion

sounds interesting.

you probably could do something along those lines. you'd need a connected scale under each plant. things start getting complicated and more expensive with extra gear. also creates more fail points.

there are other grow methods and automated watering systems that have solved for it simpler.

what sort of sensors have you lost to corrosion ?

I was talking with an electronic engineer that works with automatisation, he said he tested lost and most are garbage and gave me some points. It's really not more expensive can even be cheaper and one time installation.
Normal sensors hydrometers cost 12 euros and they simply are not design to be always in contact with moist, you can read it I'm all user guide. Probes on the other side are but they cost around 25 euros.
To have a decent measurement you need an array of 4 in each corner counting that you have it I'm the perfect height to measure, the 1 inch above the bottom. The cost is way higher than a 20kg scale, plus they could be design to daisy chain.
Even the watering method from the guide can be easily replicated.
You would always need user input to adjust to the specific strain and grow phase but that could be save as a profile for next uses. And making then all accessible on the cloud is a piece of cake.
And the method on the post simplifies it even more since he waters always to the saturation point and tells already a reference value of plus 30% water consumption in the end.
Just need to create a calibration method to know the saturation point and you would get always a near perfect watering.
If people would share the evolution of the plant weight you can establish a baseline for average growth per week per stage and per strain to set a baseline to start, the rest the system over several watering could define the growth line and determine the best point to water again.

strains change by the wk if not day. you're gonna have so much fun. :laughtwo:

edit : moisture probes are not reliable. they are a piece of rookie equipment.

no one really uses them in home grow. blue lab are about the only one who does a decent one, and then it's dependent on local conditions, and other user inputs.

Yup. I like almost impossible challenge if not it's not fun, but when you nail one, damn you feel proud. And test the theory in this case is too cheap to say no. Just got to smoke one and seat in front of the pc. Nothing like light on and letting the brain loose

Dude, that's low...
In my work line I solve this kinds of problems, doing the same as the others brings nothing new, trying new approaches even if they don't work in the end gives you always knowledge or sometimes it's when you fail that you find the solution.
If people are weighing by hand to decide to water, and there's lot of then then there is a minimum base to justify trying to convert intuition to a system based on real measurements. Or at least it proves that the what people are doing is just insane and can help drive people to better solutions

the seedling in small containers you can easily weigh them. as the plant grows it gets harder, trying to lift a 10 gal container with a plant in full flower just to check weight every 2-3 days is going to do more harm than over or under watering would do. it's not an exact science, it's just something you learn as you grow. you see with your eyes and perceive with your mind

Back
Top Bottom