How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

hi lynn
yup...me too...back in the day...pot was mexican dirt weed...lol

In january 2009, I was diagnosed with stage IIIa lung cancer w/horners syndrome (the tumor was doing that)...needless to say, all of 2009 was fighting...(I was told the tumor was HUGH....)
So...3 months of 5 days a week chemo AND radiation...then, surgery to cut out half of my left lung...followed by 2 1/2 months of MORE 'follow up" chemo (it was horrible)....and now, using alternative treatments (and my doctor and oncologist (who is director of research) are 100% PRO MMJ...really!
Next month, i go for my 3 year remission check up...

Medicinal marijuana was a true blessing...the drugs i was given for the chemo were sheer poison...just like the freekin chamo!

My regular doctor said he just was never taught 'alternative medicine' in med school...he too now is a believer!

cant yak too much now...but i will try to post some things to help ya get a nice inexpensive SUCCESSFUL grow

keep on keepin on Lynn!

Hi punksunn, so great to hear that you have 3 years of remission and hope you have many many more . I have Hep C and the drugs for pain weren't doing my liver any good plus they didn't help with my pain.

As far as Hep C treatments go I have tried them all and they failed.

You kep on kepin on too!

I see and understand what is happening in CA and Colorado, etc, sadly, too many people are still seeing marijuana as a 'stoner' thing...when news and documentaries keep showing burn-outs and pot heads smoking and acting the fool, well, it gives MEDICINAL MARIJUANA a bad look!

Punksunn, I feel ya, I use weed for medical reasons myself, just started back smoking after not finding relief with pain meds and other medications. My health has improved 10 fold, the doctors still don't know whats going on, but at least its not as bad as it was. Heres the thing, I was in AA for years, had to give up my clean time because M.M is not legal here, less than 15 miles from here it is....just not here, all this is said to say I know for a fact that weed has many medical values, and I gave up a lot to benefit from that, so I don't take the medical side of this lightly.

But... lets not forget, that this plant should be legal for all to smoke regardless of health....if I can buy cigarettes and alcohol, just to name the top 2 killers, there is no reason in hell I shouldn't be allowed to smoke a joint if I want.....its fine to show people drinking alcohol for the enjoyment of it, while at the same time doctors tell us a glass of wine is good for us, and its excepted....so I take acceptation to the stoner comment....it in no way should reflect on medical patients, nor should it look any worse than someone partaking in alcohol, and today people for the most part know this, its the government who won't open their eyes. Just my 2 cents, nothing more bro, I was so happy with the fact weed helped me so much that I lost sight of the fight to legalize..which is something I have always believed in, even with 13 years sober. :peace:

Tricks, The problem I am seeing is that people are abusing the MMJ by getting doctors recommendations when they are really needed. I agree it should be legal for all to smoke, but we must take baby steps. First we have to get the Feds out of what a state does.

I was clean and sober for 28 years until I started using MMJ and I still consider myself clean and sober because I only use it for pain and only at night. I am not using it for recreational purposes.

Too many pot shops are around in CA that sell to anyone and that is in part why I think we are having problems with the feds.

Tricks, The problem I am seeing is that people are abusing the MMJ by getting doctors recommendations when they are really needed. I agree it should be legal for all to smoke, but we must take baby steps. First we have to get the Feds out of what a state does.

I was clean and sober for 28 years until I started using MMJ and I still consider myself clean and sober because I only use it for pain and only at night. I am not using it for recreational purposes.

Too many pot shops are around in CA that sell to anyone and that is in part why I think we are having problems with the feds.

I agree, I'm pissed about this BS the feds keep pulling, and I'm pissed at Obama, he said he would leave MMJ laws up to the states to deal with, then stop raiding dispensaries and even more so patients and caregivers! I considered myself sober when I had to take pain medications for my health issues, but heard so much crap about it I drifted away from meetings. I started smoking again after all these years for relief from pain, vomiting and to get off the pain meds if I could, but I wont lie, i enjoy the stone also, and the stone is part of what helps my depression, it has improved my life so much. At first I was caught up in the fact that if I lived less than 15 miles north of here, i'd still be in good standing in AA...but I don't live there, so I let go of being caught up over the sober time, i got sober because life was crazy, its not anymore, and hasn't been for years, and weed has only improved my life....which is why i got sober to start with, so as long as I'm happy healthy (as I can be) then its all good. From what I read we all 3 are kinda in the same boat, and more or less feel the same about the issues facing mmj and weed as a whole :peace:

I have a question:

Will the clones root more successfully if they are cut, hormoned and put into the medium when they are soft wood, medium hard or when they are at their hardest? Some cloning hormones stipulate that they are for semi-hardwoods or soft woods. Any knowledge as to which is the best time to try clone?

I have a question:

Will the clones root more successfully if they are cut, hormoned and put into the medium when they are soft wood, medium hard or when they are at their hardest? Some cloning hormones stipulate that they are for semi-hardwoods or soft woods. Any knowledge as to which is the best time to try clone?

Stem material is most successfully rooted when it is green, tender and soft. The most easiest to clone are the adventous tips, or the newer greener growth. Bark clad stems are much harder to root.

^ you dont have to do this. some people just do small slits above the bottom 45 degree cut and some people just do nothing.

I noticed that a root mass develops at the slit in addition to the roots that normally appear, kinda' like an Aeroponics thing with two root masses.

I use the bubble bucket method. I was told to drip the clones in my clonex gel mix clonex solution in my bucket. i use half as the bottle says. but after mant trys i failed! i have done the split method and the scrapping and left it alone. i have check my ph its around 5.8-6.2. The temp in my little cloning room stay around 70. If anyone can help me out on whot i might be doing wrong i would be greatful. Cause buying seed is getting expensive.
I grow well when starting from seeds i use the dwc method. im currently budding White Russian,and in veg i have some Aurora.

I use the bubble bucket method. I was told to drip the clones in my clonex gel mix clonex solution in my bucket. i use half as the bottle says. but after mant trys i failed! i have done the split method and the scrapping and left it alone. i have check my ph its around 5.8-6.2. The temp in my little cloning room stay around 70. If anyone can help me out on whot i might be doing wrong i would be greatful. Cause buying seed is getting expensive.
I grow well when starting from seeds i use the dwc method. im currently budding White Russian,and in veg i have some Aurora.

Everyone has their own way that is the most successful for them. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different methods, all are successful. Some people do nothing and claim great results (h-m-m-m I wonder), others go to elaborate lengths and again, great success too; one has to find their own way by trial and (lots of) error. About the only thing I can say is to remind of things like: the stem should be kept MOIST and NOT WET. The leaves should get moisture from within the dome (spray the dome interior), open the dome up 2-3X daily for fresh air, but keep the stem moist here too, never is it to dry out. no nutrients PERIOD! Warm temperatures, high humidity, and NO light at the stem where you are trying to get roots to develop. Light at this point isn't really necessary, once roots show it is. pH is important, I shoot for the magical 5.5 to 5.8 for Hydroponics, especially for rooting. To make a slit or not, scraping the stem or not and all the other methodology, I don't think the other techniques matter as much. I do know that low Nitrogen is important, thus taking cuts from the bottom is better; green stem is easiest because bark is much harder to root (but scraping helps a lot here). You just have to keep on trying. If you are loosing them all, then you have to try something different because cloning is straightforward, and most people get good results. I have tried every method I have ever read about and the technique I use generates a consistent 80% to 90%. It is just MHO, but people that claim 100% success, all the time, are either full of $hit or they have a direct connection to the collective consciousness of the Universe. Anyone who claims they get roots in a few days cannot prove this unless they get time stamped pictures and even that can be fudged. I sincerely wish you success and hope that you get this dialed in, and soon. :thumb:

Thank you very much for the reply. There is some use tips that i did't know. I'm glad you shared them with me. My next cloning I'll take them from the bottom, and I'll keep a watch for the stem. I do apprericiate your time to post this!!

thank you for the reply. I have been looking thing up but here alot of false info out there. You have some info that i haven't tried yet and thank you again.

I use clonex and do exactly as you say. Problem is, I still manage to kill ninety five percent of my clones. Ive tried every way several folks have told me about and just cant get the hang of it. I somehow am a baby killer. Am I safe to just get clones already rooted from a dispensary?

I use clonex and do exactly as you say. Problem is, I still manage to kill ninety five percent of my clones. Ive tried every way several folks have told me about and just cant get the hang of it. I somehow am a baby killer. Am I safe to just get clones already rooted from a dispensary?

I cannot tell you if you are safe with the clones from your dispensary. I stay away from them because they are probably the largest source of Spider Mites and their infestation into clean, virgin grow rooms. Once roots are present, these need nutrients and good light source immediately.
If you are killing them consistently, then something you are doing isn't correct. My suspect is that the stem, below, where you want roots to form, is staying too "wet". IMHO, this is the most common reason for failure. When I first started cloning, I had a hard time dialing that in. It is imperative that the stems are "moist" almost close to being dry, but not ever allowed to dry totally out, and then the roots will follow. It usually takes about 7-10 days for most strains but this is also strain specific. I have had strains that took 13 weeks to root, and I have had some appear at 5 days, but 10 is more realistic, more average (for me only). You have to adopt a regime that checks on them 2-3X daily and be religious about it. Under a dome, unless you constantly check, they'll stagnate and roots (if any) will be slower to appear. Take the dome off 1-2X daily and allow the air to circulate for an hour or so (hotter temps need more time to air out); keep them warm, not HOT; mist the dome's interior surfaces and not the leaves directly (drowns them) to provide the moisture these cuttings need. Remember that the cutting is NOT absorbing water through the stem at this point, it needs roots for that. The way the cuttings get their moisture is by absorbing through the individual leaves. Try taking your cuttings with at least 2 nodes, and then trim the stem that goes below or into a "Rapid Rooter" or Growdan cube the smallest amount that is needed to get the stem portion into the bottom area where it is going to form the roots, usually about 1-1/2" is good. Again, every day check the moisture in these and add a small amount of pH'ed water (NO NUTRIENTS, PERIOD) to this, but only what is necessary to make it moist. I usually add water about every 3rd time I check, about 18 hours. They really don't need much light here, CFL's work great.
Clone machines are great but one has a learning curve with these. Like everything in life, sometimes man makes a simple thing quite complex and I recommend a simple 10" X 20" tray, divided insert, Rapid Rooter plugs and a tall dome that has ventilation control. You can get these at almost every hardware store, nursery and of course Hydro store. I have seen the kits on eBay for $12.00 and got one the other day from OSH (chain hardware) for $7.00! The best system IMHO. Once you master these, a power cloner is the next level. Patience is imperative. Also, once you do see roots, a mild nutrient (I use 1/4 strength) and good lighting (but not Hot) like CFL's is important, but only when you get roots. Don't give up, cloning is the way. I keep most strains for 2+ years and take cuttings almost every 2 weeks to keep things going. I know what to expect and the new plants are usually already 6-8 weeks old when taken. Besides, they are almost free, are clean and bug free and I can predict what I'm gonna' get in the end... You'll get it; keep on trying. All good things come to those that experiment!

Sftailpaul, good comments man. Thanks for sharing that knowledge. So far I have done 5 rounds of clones, each time 2 taking two cuttings. I am fairly certain I know went wrong each time so hopefully these failures can help someone else avoid them also.

Round one: 1 lived, 1 died. The one that died was simply too small. I was so afraid of taking away what I felt was valuable healthy life from my only living female that I wanted to keep the cuttings as tiny as possible in case I failed. I think this one just too tiny to make it.

Round two: same results. I think it was a combination of it being already on the small side and my experimenting with clipping the leaves that did it in. Maybe it just didn't have enough energy to sustain life and develop roots after that? I don't know, but lost 1 out of 2 again.

Round three: same results. This time I think the size was adequate for both of them and I didn't clip the leaves at all, but I made the mistake of removing them from the rock wool cubes too early and putting them in soil. One hung on but the other immediately wilted and couldn't recover. Rather than put it back in the dome I just put a clear plastic cup over it to keep the humidity up. This worked for the other one, but not this one.

Round four: both clones rooted but I eventually lost one when I left for a few days and it seemingly dried out. The humidity was really low and the temps really high because of poor ventilation in my closet without me there to open the doors. Lesson learned.

Round five: both clones look great.

I think once I figured out the right size and realized that leaving them in the cubes under the dome for longer than a week was probably a good idea that was the key. :thumb:
We'll see how my success rate does over time, but at least for now I'm feeling comfortable with the whole process.

Hi there!

I cut my cutting about 5 days ago and they look very heathly. How long will it take for the clones atart rooting?

7 Days? 10 days? Who knows. Many factors slow it down/speed it up. Once you find that optimum sweet spot, your own technique, you'll get roots faster and on more each time.

Back
Top Bottom