How to handle the smell

wtfrsa

Hi,

I'm not a cannabis smoker. After a lot of persuasion from my son to look at the benefits of cannabis, I decided on the 1st of April 2015 to start growing and eventually extract the CBD.

Well, the good thing is the plants are growing well in a hydroponic system, with a carbon filter.

The problem is, when I go into the room to take care of the plants the smell effects me very badly. I feel nausea, my stomach turns and I feel floating the whole time. My son said I should get use to it, but it really bowls me, I can only spend a couple of seconds in the room before the effect starts.

I did buy a mask but breathing is a major problem.

Any thing I can do to get rid of the symptoms?

It is possible to be allergic to cannabis. Your symptoms don't sound like an allergic reaction though. Do you suppose you may be having a psychosomatic reaction? Perhaps this is a physical/emotional reaction to a longstanding aversion to cannabis.

Hi,

I'm not a cannabis smoker. After a lot of persuasion from my son to look at the benefits of cannabis, I decided on the 1st of April 2015 to start growing and eventually extract the CBD.

Well, the good thing is the plants are growing well in a hydroponic system, with a carbon filter.

The problem is, when I go into the room to take care of the plants the smell effects me very badly. I feel nausea, my stomach turns and I feel floating the whole time. My son said I should get use to it, but it really bowls me, I can only spend a couple of seconds in the room before the effect starts.

I did buy a mask but breathing is a major problem.

Any thing I can do to get rid of the symptoms?

How powerful is the fan that you are using? How big is the grow area? You may not be moving enough air to clear the odor. I use a 400 cfm fan for 2 tents. Each tent is roughly 60 cf, so that is 120 cf. 400/120 = 3.3333. So each minute my air in my tents is turned over 3 times. I hope this helps. :peace:

Move your grow outside to a small portable greenhouse, or well lit shed..? I've been growing for over 45 years and yes the smell annoys me, you seem to be irritated physically by it, whats your strains as many Dutch strains are now grown for CBD etc

Hmm maybe you could attach a dryer sheet to the outside of the mask so you breath in the scent of the dryer sheet? Can't think of an easier fix atm

I haven't done the research myself, but I hear those dryer sheet have some pretty nasty chemicals in them...

As for the smell, perhaps you bought a strong smelling strain. Is it still in veg, or are you flowering yet? It's probably only going to get worse... I would recommend more airflow or an outdoor greenhouse as others mentioned.

Thank you for all the advise, I think I needed to build a tolerance for the smell as I was sick for about a week, but everyday it felt better. Today I worked in the grow room for about an hour and no dizziness, just a mild headache. My grow room is 1.8m wide, 2.4m long and 2.4m high. I have about a 80 plants in it. I think the size and the amount of plants have lead to an overwhelming smell. I have bought a grow tent now which is 3m x 3m and will be moving the plants there.

Lol, so that's why it stinks, 80 plants lol. But how are you going to fit 80 into a 3m x 3m? I'm trying to imagine your set up and it must take up a lot of room

Agreed. I SQUEEZE 4 well trimmed plants into a 1 sq meter tent. I don't think you will fit more then 30 in there and still have room to work. Just my humble opinion. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom