I Can't Even Get My Seeds To Sprout - Help!

Your cloning and cube pics look great! Unfortunately, my Actual vendor is "Original SSC" not the Sensible Seed vendor listed. I emailed them several times, they emailed me back twice on Thursday and told me they were having trouble with their customer service system and to try again. I tried again several times to create a Support Ticket on their web site and I never get a confirmation email with my Support Ticket Number. Either they are still having problems or just blowing me off. I might try Nirvana see bank next time.

Finally...Good News! After just about 18 hours to germinate, about 41 hours of growing in soil, and put in my hydro dome, my latest attempt sprouted!!! I watered the newly planted seed with just a few drops of XNutrients Grow, Animo and Micro nutes mixed in my half gallon jug of water and I think it helped. That would be less than 1/8 strengh. I know that most growers would not recommend the nutes at this stage, but since I was having such a hard time getting a seed to sprout after a succesful germination, I had to give it a try. I am going to keep a very close eye on this seedling and if there is any indication that it does not like my 1/8th strength nutes, then I will switch to plain water. Also, the other seed that I germed Friday, finished germination today and I planted it in coco, watered it with the same 1/8th nute mix, and put it in the hydro dome. I hope this one sprouts too so the other seedling can have a nice Kush sister!! I like the sound of that. Meanwhile I am working on my flowering room because I might need it sooner than I think --Wishful Thinking-- :) Updates will follow. thanks.

Do you have a heat mat in there? If not, I suggest finding a source of heat to keep under the dome. Between the little bubbler and the constant boost of heat above ambient, my clones are living it up in there.

IMG_20130819_112232_114.jpg
IMG_20130819_112244_256.jpg
IMG_20130819_112329_319.jpg
IMG_20130819_112347_807.jpg

You're pics look great, I hope to have some soon. I hope that's Mary Jane and her sisters livin' it up in there and not Billy Bob and his brothers, if you know what I mean LOL.
I don't have a heat mat under the dome, but I have a hanging 65 watt light with a reflector over it about 6" away. I also have a glass of water and I sprayed the inside of the dome with water. So, I have 1 solo pot in the hydro dome right now with the seed I planted today. I decided to go with the coco again. I have another hanging light in this veg area that has 2 100 watt CFL lights that give "natural day light" and 1,600 lumens each. They give off a tremendous amount of bright light and give a lot of heat, as well. They are about 12" over my little seedling.

you can get the cfls as close as 3-4 inches away, this will help reduce stretch, as far as seeds poppin ive had some come up in 3 days and others taking up to 10 days, next time round just try putting the seed straight into coco and let it go, dont wanna stress it by planting it then digging around.

good luck mukker

Hi Mukker, I don't think that I will be creating a journal. I am finally having a little fun with this since I finally got 1 of my seeds to sprout. Thanks for you tips! I have about 3 seeds left and when I'm ready, I think that I might just stick them in the coco without germination, like you said. However, I might soak them in a little warm water for about an hour just to give them a little head start. When my latest seed sprouts, my goal is to learn the entire process from planting a seed to the flowering stage with these 2 plants.
With all the support from the people on this web site, I know I can do it. Thanks and drop by again for my updates soon!

RP, I suggest you start a journal. Lots and lots of help from the vets. Look at mine, they're helping me along every day and helping me to cool my jets when I wanna get silly. Question, do you own an air pump for fish tanks? If you put an airstone in your solo cup of water, you'll have a continuous mister that will keep the air in the dome very moist. Also, I agree with G J T, to get your light closer to the dome. A little stretch can be beneficial at times, but ideally, you'd want your nodes branching out about 1/2" apart from one another, especially if you are growing in a confined space. Not to mention, bringing the light closer means more heat can get in and make the moist environment better. I hope it's a Mary Jane too, but like you, I just want to really learn the entire process front to back so learning is my primary goal with this grow, and already I've learned alot b/c of the vets coaching me on my journal.

I wonder how SkyBound is making out with my 5 newly planted seeds and his new clones?

After my 1st seed popped out of the coco soil on Monday, the seed shell stayed on the plant for a couple of days, and a couple of days after that it straigntened up and pointed right at my 100 watt cfl. At first, I kept the light 12" away, now i have the light about 1/2" away. That's right, 1/2" and my pretty-little-seedling seems to like it! Yesterday, I fed it 1/2 strength nutes for the 6:30am watering and she seems to like that too! I check the soil at 3pm and 10pm and if it is dry, i give it a little straight water. Today, 4 days after it popped out, It's about 1" tall, looks healthy with the rounded leaves and the little set of regular leaves. It also has a nice green color.

The seed that I planted Monday in the coco soil and put in my clone dome has not sprouted yet. I germinated it first, so it should have popped out by now. If it doesn't pop out in a few more days, then I can only assume that it just died like all my other bad-seed attempts.

I started a new seed today and put it straight into the coco without any germination. I am thinking that maybe I shocked the other seeds that did not sprout, when I transferred them to the soil. So, I am trying this new method by planting the seed directly into the soil without germination. We'll see what happens!!

Using Rockwool cubes is still on my list of things to try.

I am trying to get one more seedling so I can have atleast 2 plants and nurse them to be mature mother plants used for cloning. The seeds are suppose to be fem.

Haha, I hit a little rough patch yesterday. Being as though I vent my veg/flower room through the cloner, there was a strong odor coming from my setup so I had to make an emergency trip to the hardware store to get a 4" PVC elbow with 2 drain caps and some carbon pre-filters. I then filled the elbow with activated carbon and duct taped the drain caps on and fitted this to my exhaust port. This solved the odor problem, but it created a lot of back pressure overloading my PC fans and drastically raised the heat. The clones took the worst hit, but the seedlings didn't look all that great. So I have to reconfigure my fans and hopefully I can salvage the nursery, but I need that carbon filter on as using dryer sheets in only a temporary solution to the odor and I can't grow unless the odor is dealt with. I also am building a small flood and drain system to stand next to the 6" soil pot to put the seedlings and clones once they root into. 2 of the Seedlings already rooted, none of the clones did yet. I mist them 3-5 times a day. Also in the works is a ScrOG net, but prior to installing that I want to repot the donor plant to a 12" pot. This will stand the same height as the flood and drain totes so I can grow them side by side. Once I get it all worked out, I will post pics.

As far as feeding your seedling in the coco a 50% nutrient, keep in mind that the round cotyledon leaves that first pop out of the seedling contain the basic nutrients that feeds the plant till it develops the root system and other veg leaves. With that said, over feeding the soilless mix may cause a build up salts so when the plant actually starts to look for food, it might be locked out. I am in no way saying not to feed nutes, just to research what and how much before getting too carried away. us noobs have a tendency of over analyzing what we see and can cause many problems ourselves. Also I suggest monitoring the pH that you provide, and if possible, to monitor the pH in your soilless mix as the plant may take in the water only and leave the nutes which changes the pH. I read in a vet's journal an issue he was having that most likely stemmed back to a pH problem. If the pH is not maintained, nutrient availability will be greatly limited (locked) causing a deficiency or over feeding.

Sorry to hear about your "rough patch". That stinks! Lookin' forward to seeing your new pics. I gave my new seedling 1/2 strength nutes because I did not want it to die on me. I only do it during my morning watering and I might do it just 2 or 3 times a week. I will keep an eye on the little baby to see how it reacts. I did read somewhere about the round cotyledon leaves feeding the seedling, but I did it anyway. I hope I did not hurt anything.

I always check the water ph, especially after I add my nutes. Coco is suppose to have the correct PH right out of the bag, so I have not been testing. So far, so good with the new needling.

Now, just waiting for the seed I put in the soil on Monday to pop out of the dirt. And just in case it doesn't, I planted another seed directly in the coco today. I want to have at least 2 plants while I go through entire process. I might even end up with 3!!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Another update, 1 more seed popped out on me, so that's 4 of the 5 I planted already. whether I can keep them alive is another story.

Question, is the coco the correct pH or pH neutral? If neutral, that is a pH of 7.0 on a scale of 0.0-14.0. this is too alkaline for canna. Also, if the correct pH, then for which plant or type of plants? Many different type of plants thrive in different pH ranges. Ours is 5.3 to about 6.3 (hydro likes the lower half, organics the higher half). I don't know if coco is viewed as organic or not. These questions are rhetorical, and are only meant to get you to know if you are in the right pH range for what you are trying to grow. Don't take the word of the manufacturer w/o doing your own research. I wish other people would pipe in here b/c I do not know enough to be advising anyone, I just know that doing your research can never harm anyone.

SkyBound, Thanks for the info. The coco soil is called "Just Right Xtra Potting Soil" and I got the following info at the website:
Mother Earth | Sunlight Supply
"Just Right Xtra has a perfect pH of 7.01 to keep the bacteria and fungi perfectly happy and healthy!".
They say that the ph is a perfect 7.
I don't think that is a problem.

I also got this info at this web site:
https://www.the--------.com/what-is-the-best-soil-for-growing-marijuana/
"Cannabis grows best in soil with a pH range of 6.5 to 7.0".

I always check my water and make it between 6.0 and 6.5.

My answer from LadyJane's thread is this, I took some half length branches to create a structure to my plant. every one of them could have been rooted as clones, but I was already over filled on that, so I tossed them. You know I took some pics though, let me dig through my photo album.

DSCF12032.JPG

Are you saying that you tossed all those little clippings in that pic!!! You make me so jealous :) Is that 2 of my seedlings in the background. What happens to the mother plant after you clip off the clones, do the branches grow back??? TTYL...

I tossed them in the trash. Mom is prepping to be flowered in a week or two with the 2 best clones (of 4 I tried), and all 4 seedlings that sprouted. I may be taking a clone or 2, 21 days into flowering as there's an old thread here on 420 discussing something called "Monster Cropping" whereby you clone a budding tip and get it back into veg. I want to see if it produces the 25-50 branches out of the remaining bud that I leave on once cut. Allegedly these cuttings are near impossible to root so I will make a small bubble cloner and give them the very best my knowledge can produce. If they root and survive, I will make the best one into a mom and toss the other. That new mom will veg until near the end of the first mom's flowering at which point I plan to take 2nd generation clones and toss out the 2nd mom. The new clones should be well into veg when first mom is harvested. Because I have such little space to work with, I will try to plan to the best of my ability to produce a perpetual harvest within reason. I'm not hell bent on keeping this strain alive for long as it is from bag seed and was only meant to teach me to grow. I plan to get me a few beans from our great friend Herbie. Hopefully by then I will be a lot more established and hopefully also have a bigger more discrete space to play with. With all things, I will always try to maximize my potential as a grower.

Well...Everybody suggested that last week I should have transplanted my 4" little plant into a 12" pot instead of the 6" that I used. I thought I could wait a little while until I re-transplanted to a 12" pot, but I could not wait any longer because the plant is now 6" and the roots are growing through the bottom of the pot!!! The 12" seemed too big for my growing space so I bought some 10" pots and transplanted my 6" plant today. I bought a few other 10" pots for my other 2 seedlings because in a few more days they will be ready to move into the 10" pots. I am very happy and fortunate that I finally have 3 good looking healthy girls! My plan is to use these 3 plants as mothers and do some serious cloning and flowering in a few more weeks. I also finally purchased a genuine hydration dome with the little holes on the sides and a little adjustable vent on the top and I can hardly wait to use it for my first clones! New update coming soon...

RP, where ya @ bro? Updates? Pics? Journal?

Back
Top Bottom