I was gonna plant my seeds tomorrow so it would be 2 days, is that better? My seeds taproots are only like 1/6 of an inch again :( hoping they grow bigger tomorrow

Again I personally Dont use the Paper Towel method. So probably not the best member to
answer that question but Thinking out loud I know the seed only has enough stored power for a specific
amount of time, Allowing things to be at the mercy of an open environment for to long would
reduce the available time to get setup in the soil ?

Now THAT sounds like bad seeds! If I don't get my sprouts in the soil soon enough, the taproot will just keep on growing. Re: The paper towel method: Many seed banks give paper towel germ instructions - for example, Crop King has a video on line about this. Following the paper towel method, I almost always get 100% germ.
Again I personally Dont use the Paper Towel method. So probably not the best member to
answer that question but Thinking out loud I know the seed only has enough stored power for a specific
amount of time, Allowing things to be at the mercy of an open environment for to long would
reduce the available time to get setup in the soil ?
Alright just checked on the seeds and 3 had taproots 1/3 of an inch so I took 3 solo cups put ffof in them and watered them until I saw runoff then planted the seeds taproot down. Right now theyre on my heating pad with no light on and my humidifier running. Honestly ill be extremely happy if I even just get 1 sprout lol :rofl:

Thinking out loud I know the seed only has enough stored power for a specific
amount of time,
True. I said in an earlier post that "If I don't plant soon enough, the taproot will just keep on growing." I should have added, "until it's used up its' stored energy and dies." I don't know when that would be, though. 1"? 1.5"? I do know that if I plant seeds when the taproot is only 1/8" long, I don't get as many above the soil as when I plant when the taproot is between 1/3" and 3/4".

I'll be pullin' for ya!
True. I said in an earlier post that "If I don't plant soon enough, the taproot will just keep on growing." I should have added, "until it's used up its' stored energy and dies." I don't know when that would be, though. 1"? 1.5"? I do know that if I plant seeds when the taproot is only 1/8" long, I don't get as many above the soil as when I plant when the taproot is between 1/3" and 3/4".
Best of luck to you. :)
Thank You! Im hoping these sprout but even if they dont i still have more seeds coming in so either way its a win win

Alright just checked on the seeds and 3 had taproots 1/3 of an inch so I took 3 solo cups put ffof in them and watered them until I saw runoff then planted the seeds taproot down. Right now theyre on my heating pad with no light on and my humidifier running. Honestly ill be extremely happy if I even just get 1 sprout lol :rofl:
Hi, do not water your seedlings till run off just moisten the top a little or better still use a fine mist spray bottle for a few days then water from your tap will do, leave it for 24hrs in an open jug to let the gases escape using very little water only around edge of pot, after a few days wait till their almost dry when their a few days popped up out the soil ,keep things moist not WET

have you tried rapid rooters yet? here is a cut n paste i live by for starting seeds. hope it helps.

My seed germination technique

I really like Rapid Rooter plugs. I've been germinating seeds in them since I started growing, and now use them for cloning, too. They're great as they can be used to germinate for soil or hydro, and easy to use. They contain important micro nutrients and beneficial organisms to stimulate rapid root development. They have a really nice balance between moisture retention and airiness.

Here's my process:

I soak seeds for a few hours in a glass of RO water. The Rapid Rooter is soaked overnight in a glass of RO water.
Making sure my hands are clean and sterile, I shake the excess moisture out of the rapid rooter, or give it a gentle squeeze. Basically, you want them to be "moist" but not soaked/saturated.
I take a sterile tweezers, squeeze it together, and I stick it into the hole of the rapid rooter while I gently twist it around some. I've had better luck if I deepen the hole slightly, and loosen it up a little inside the rooter plug. You could also use a pen, etc. Basically, just loosen it up and make it about a 1/4" deeper than they come from the factory.
I use a clean pen cap as a tool to scoop the seed from the cup of water, and place it into the rooter. I used to do the "paper towel" method of "pre-germinating" seeds, but it is better to plant them directly in the rapid rooter (or whatever medium you use). You will have better success, and quicker development if you skip the whole paper towel thing, in my experience. When putting it into the rooter plug, I put it in pointy end up (hinged end down). Positioning it this way will allow the taproot to make the turn it needs to, and will put the seed in a better position to succeed and remove it's "helmet".
I place the seed about half way down into the rooter (again pointy end up) and then I tear a small piece of rooter plug to cover the hole on the rooter. It should not be "jammed" in there, but placed in somewhat loosely. The hole should be fully covered to not allow light in.
I place the plug in a humidity dome, under t5's. I don't use a seedling heat mat (only for clones and not directly under). I mist the dome periodically, but high RH isn't needed to germ seeds. The rooters shoudn't be allowed to fully dry, and should be moistened periodically with plain RO water.

Pre-soak seeds in glass for a few hours
Pre-soak rooter plug 12-24 hours (probably doesn't need to be that long)
Use RO water from store - do not PH balance it
Shake/squeeze out excess moisture in the rooter
Use a tweezers or pen to loosen up the hole, and make it slightly deeper.
Position seed in the rooter plug, pointy end up
Cover the hole on the rapid rooter plug by tearing a small piece of the plug, and loosely covering the hole.
Place rapid rooter, with seed in it, inside humidity dome, under flourescent lights (I use T5's).
Rooter plugs should be moistened with plain RO water periodically, but only moistened
Heat mat is not needed - and it can dry the rooter plug too fast. Humidity only needs to be around 50%. I just mist the humidity dome periodically.
No nutrients are needed with seedlings until the 3rd set of true leaves.
I transplant when roots are showing through the bottom and sides of rooter plugs

I've had 100% success over the last year or so this way. There are lots of ways to do it successfully, this is just mine.

have you tried rapid rooters yet? here is a cut n paste i live by for starting seeds. hope it helps.

My seed germination technique

I really like Rapid Rooter plugs. I've been germinating seeds in them since I started growing, and now use them for cloning, too. They're great as they can be used to germinate for soil or hydro, and easy to use. They contain important micro nutrients and beneficial organisms to stimulate rapid root development. They have a really nice balance between moisture retention and airiness.

Here's my process:

I soak seeds for a few hours in a glass of RO water. The Rapid Rooter is soaked overnight in a glass of RO water.
Making sure my hands are clean and sterile, I shake the excess moisture out of the rapid rooter, or give it a gentle squeeze. Basically, you want them to be "moist" but not soaked/saturated.
I take a sterile tweezers, squeeze it together, and I stick it into the hole of the rapid rooter while I gently twist it around some. I've had better luck if I deepen the hole slightly, and loosen it up a little inside the rooter plug. You could also use a pen, etc. Basically, just loosen it up and make it about a 1/4" deeper than they come from the factory.
I use a clean pen cap as a tool to scoop the seed from the cup of water, and place it into the rooter. I used to do the "paper towel" method of "pre-germinating" seeds, but it is better to plant them directly in the rapid rooter (or whatever medium you use). You will have better success, and quicker development if you skip the whole paper towel thing, in my experience. When putting it into the rooter plug, I put it in pointy end up (hinged end down). Positioning it this way will allow the taproot to make the turn it needs to, and will put the seed in a better position to succeed and remove it's "helmet".
I place the seed about half way down into the rooter (again pointy end up) and then I tear a small piece of rooter plug to cover the hole on the rooter. It should not be "jammed" in there, but placed in somewhat loosely. The hole should be fully covered to not allow light in.
I place the plug in a humidity dome, under t5's. I don't use a seedling heat mat (only for clones and not directly under). I mist the dome periodically, but high RH isn't needed to germ seeds. The rooters shoudn't be allowed to fully dry, and should be moistened periodically with plain RO water.

Pre-soak seeds in glass for a few hours
Pre-soak rooter plug 12-24 hours (probably doesn't need to be that long)
Use RO water from store - do not PH balance it
Shake/squeeze out excess moisture in the rooter
Use a tweezers or pen to loosen up the hole, and make it slightly deeper.
Position seed in the rooter plug, pointy end up
Cover the hole on the rapid rooter plug by tearing a small piece of the plug, and loosely covering the hole.
Place rapid rooter, with seed in it, inside humidity dome, under flourescent lights (I use T5's).
Rooter plugs should be moistened with plain RO water periodically, but only moistened
Heat mat is not needed - and it can dry the rooter plug too fast. Humidity only needs to be around 50%. I just mist the humidity dome periodically.
No nutrients are needed with seedlings until the 3rd set of true leaves.
I transplant when roots are showing through the bottom and sides of rooter plugs

I've had 100% success over the last year or so this way. There are lots of ways to do it successfully, this is just mine.
Wow thanks a ton man for typing all the that out and telling me the process. I looked at them on amazon and they’re not that expensive and if you get 100% germination rate that is hella worth it. I’m gonna buy a couple on amazon and use them for the seeds that I have coming in. I’m gonna follow your entire process I appreciate it. When the seedlings grow big enough do you plant the rooter into your medium or do you have to take the seedling out of it?

Hi, do not water your seedlings till run off just moisten the top a little or better still use a fine mist spray bottle for a few days then water from your tap will do, leave it for 24hrs in an open jug to let the gases escape using very little water only around edge of pot, after a few days wait till their almost dry when their a few days popped up out the soil ,keep things moist not WET
I watered the soil until I saw runoff before I planted the seed in it. I planted the seed after watering the soil root down. I think these seeds are doing good because I peaked at them in the soil today and the taproot grew more.

Wow thanks a ton man for typing all the that out and telling me the process. I looked at them on amazon and they’re not that expensive and if you get 100% germination rate that is hella worth it. I’m gonna buy a couple on amazon and use them for the seeds that I have coming in. I’m gonna follow your entire process I appreciate it. When the seedlings grow big enough do you plant the rooter into your medium or do you have to take the seedling out of it?

I've had rapid rooters kill more than a few seedlings as the seed got stuck inside the rooter and decapitated the seedling.

I watered the soil until I saw runoff before I planted the seed in it. I planted the seed after watering the soil root down. I think these seeds are doing good because I peaked at them in the soil today and the taproot grew more.
Ahhh ok thats alright if presoaked the soil and proper way to do it , just mist them fine mist spray bottles on Amazon dirt cheap and get 20ml or bigger syringes for measuring feed and stuff really handy.

I think these seeds are doing good because I peaked at them in the soil today and the taproot grew more.
"Peaked" meaning you kind of picked away the soil on top of the seedling so you could see what was going on? If so, I'd advise against that. It could kill them. Weed is a weed, but weed babies are really delicate as are all seedlings. Plant them in whatever way you choose, but then leave them alone. They'll usually raise their cute little heads above the soil in two or three days.

Ahhh ok thats alright if presoaked the soil and proper way to do it , just mist them fine mist spray bottles on Amazon dirt cheap and get 20ml or bigger syringes for measuring feed and stuff really handy.
The soil still is pretty moist, I have a mister should I start misting it when it sprouts (if it sprouts) Honestly I really wanted to grow 1 or 2 plants for my first grow and I have 3 seeds in solo cups right now, If I get 1 to sprout id be ECSTATIC :laugh: But if i got 2 to sprout it would be a dream come true XD.
"Peaked" meaning you kind of picked away the soil on top of the seedling so you could see what was going on? If so, I'd advise against that. It could kill them. Weed is a weed, but weed babies are really delicate as are all seedlings. Plant them in whatever way you choose, but then leave them alone. They'll usually raise their cute little heads above the soil in two or three days.
Yea ur right, Im not gonna peak at them anymore. Who knew it would be this hard to grow a weed :laugh:

Yea ur right, Im not gonna peak at them anymore. Who knew it would be this hard to grow a weed :laugh:
Patience, Grasshopper. . . ;)

But we're on the journey with you! Do not despair. Many of us here like a good challenge. Team work makes the dream work. We'll get this thing figured out.

Patience, Grasshopper. . . ;)

But we're on the journey with you! Do not despair. Many of us here like a good challenge. Team work makes the dream work. We'll get this thing figured out.
Bro thanks a ton for all the support man :love: And bro i have a TON of respect for seedsman, I talked to them and they're replacing my seeds! They have really good customer support I have loads of respect for them.

So i ordered 8 seeds from seedsman and I originally germinated 4 of them all with the paper towel method and saw a white taproot and planted them into FFOF soil. I think the problem why these first 4 didnt sprout was because I was watering them too much and had them under a 600w hps light and after a couple days when I dug at them they all looked pretty much dead. SO then with the last 4 I had left I germinated them with paper towel method and all 4 had the white taproot. I only watered the soil right before i planted them. And I just had them under a led bulb on a lamp. Its BEEN 7OR 8 days and they didnt even sprout. I dug at them and they looked pretty much dead besides one that had a "little brown thing " poking out the top of the seed. Im really pissed off that I cant even get the seeds to sprout when Im literally doing everything, I even bought a heating pad and have that under them like what am I doing wrong??? I ordered another 4 autoflower seeds and when they come in I really really want these to sprout and not to waste them. Can someone please help me out? Is growing just not for some people ?

View media item 1769086
View media item 1769087In these pics my hps light and exhaust fan arent even on right now I just have them there. Right now I just have a small fan blowing air around and a led lamp. When I looked at the seeds they didnt even look like bad seeds. What am I doing wrong ??
A lot of folks will probably disagree with me but.... I do not like the paper towel method. It’s a way for the seed cos to get the guaranteed sprout ratios. They sprouted then you fucked it up moving them, touched them too much, upside down etc and you don’t get your refund. IMO if you slightly rough up the outer shell and soak for 12-18 hours then plant like a normal seed it will sprout. I do not like moving a germinated seed from towel to planted. Too many variables.

I do not like moving a germinated seed from towel to planted.
You're correct; moving the seed from paper towel to soil can be tricky, the sprouts are very delicate. I use a long-nose pair of tweezers to pick up and carefully move the seed to soil. I get 85% above the soil. However, in one case using the paper towel method the taproot actually buried its' tip into the paper towel. It was tricky getting it loose. I can't remember whether or not that particular seed got about the soil. If this happens again, I'll just clip out the little bit of paper towel stuck to the taproot and bury it along with the seed.

You're correct; moving the seed from paper towel to soil can be tricky, the sprouts are very delicate. I use a long-nose pair of tweezers to pick up and carefully move the seed to soil. I get 85% above the soil. However, in one case using the paper towel method the taproot actually buried its' tip into the paper towel. It was tricky getting it loose. I can't remember whether or not that particular seed got about the soil. If this happens again, I'll just clip out the little bit of paper towel stuck to the taproot and bury it along with the seed.

I fully agree. My opinion is, the only real reason to sprout in a paper towel is to see or “prove” that they will in fact sprout. This would make sense if maybe your seeds were a complicated cross breed and they were possibly sterile if that is even possible. What is the difference in putting a seed in damp paper towels or damp soil? The seeds are in the dark, moist and warm, either way. There is really no good reason to sprout in paper towels, it creates an unnecessary and fully unneeded situation that also probably introduces shock to the newly sprouted seed. People are told not to poke around and see if they are growing when in soil, but it’s ok to move them within the first few hours or day if it’s sprouting in towels?
not trying to bust your balls at all or come across cross. I see this issue come up all the time, plants germinate grow just fine in dirt along side a road all the time. You get 85% of your seeds that already sprouted above soil, think that would be 100 if you didn’t have to move them?

Back
Top Bottom