6 seeds down - No luck so far - What am I doing wrong?

francophile

New poster so I apologize if I've overstepped some rules here but I promise I did a search.

I ordered from Crop King Seeds about a month ago and since my pack of five seeds arrived, I've tried to start a successful grow. I've come nowhere close to it so far.

I'll say in advance that I've done exactly what CKS, and others, have recommended. Cup of water for 24-48 hours, then wet paper towel in a dark room. Keep moist for the new few days until the roots get nice, like about half an inch in length, and then plant facing down.

-The first two seeds didn't even germinate.
-By the suggestion of someone at CKS I tried to germinate the other three at the same time.
-A tiny tap root appeared in each case, but didn't grow beyond a few mm even after 2 days in water and 3 in paper towel
-planted them anyways
-two seemed to begin growing
-one remained stuck with the half-open seed poking out of the soil, a tiny green root at the bottom
-the other sprouted leafs, but I guess due to my error of either over-watering, or planting them in a small container with no holes, the leaves started to curl and then it wilted and died off.

Now I've got another five seeds sent to me.

-First one doesn't germinate at all
-Second one got a tap root of a few mm. I've planted it in soil now, in a proper pot with holes for drainage. Covered it lightly the way it has been suggested. It's getting cooler day by day where I live so I keep the pot under a 23W grow light during the day at a distance of about a foot which I turn off at night.

I really want this to succeed this time. If this new pack of five seeds fail on me, I'll have gone through a pack of 10 seeds and failed at each and every one.

I imagined that it'd be somewhat difficult, but the way people tend to talk about their 100% success rates for seeds following the same methods... it's really discouraging when you're just burning through expensive seeds and getting nowhere.

TL;DR Bought 5 seeds. 4 went nowhere. One turned into a small plant which died likely due to over-watering in a small container without drainage.
Ordered again. 1st seed did not germinate. 2nd grew a short tap root and was planted. Waiting for results.

If this one fails, how go I guarantee success for the next time
-Is it the temperature? Not going to lie, room temperature right now is around 20-22 degrees C.

-Should I invest in a heat pad? The taproots have never grown beyond 3-4mm. Would the heat pad help?

-What is an ideal way to keep the seed warm after planting in soil but before it's big enough to have lights on it that'll keep it warm? Should I leave the lights on all the time for their warmth while the seed in under the soil?

Heat pads help, yes, I'd try that, keep em warm and dark. Practice with bunk seeds if you have to do you get the hang of it. Good luck!

Thanks for replying.

I guess that could be it. Going to wait a few days to see how the one in soil pans out.

I decided to start a new seed in a glass on top of the warm spot above the fridge to see if it'll germinate better. I feel that if I could get them to sprout a bigger root, it might be easier come planting time.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Try bringing your light closer, a foot away is needlessly far. I have a 10W LED that I've used for seedlings at 2 inches away. You might also be keeping them in the paper towel too long, as soon as I see a tap root I put it into the soil. Try putting a dome over your pot too, this will keep the humidity high and the soil nice and moist.

Best of luck to you brother

I had shit luck germinating too. What I would suggest is planting them directly into whatever medium you are growing in. Water it. Leave it. Should be up and running within a week.

Thanks for the reply guys, just some quick questions:
scousemouse: Do you also mean I should keep the lights on all the time? Day/night? Or just place them closer during the day?
JuanCarlos: Yeah, the only one that sprouted did so because I put it in as soon as the taproot appeared. I'd done the same with the current seed that's in the soil right now. Fingers crossed that it works.
marzbadrock: yeah, unfortunately trying to get a breeding setup up and running isn't an option at the moment. :S

Hey, francophile -- SALUT!

Okay, I had problems with my first two seeds, also from CKS. I drowned them and then I froze them :) Here's what I did to succeed with my next two seeds:

CKS actually has two versions of its germinating instructions. One (the one printed on the flyer they send you) says to soak in water and then pour the entire glass of water into a paper towel. The other (one of two on the website) says to use a damp paper towel. The first time I used the full cup of water and didn't keep the seeds warm.

Here's how I achieved success :)

1. Soak seeds for no more than 18 hours -- keep the glass in the dark -- poke the seeds every hour or so until they sink, and then let them soak for the rest of the 18 hours.

2. Put the seeds in the middle of several layers of moist paper towel (not wet). Put the paper towel on a side plate, and put another plate over it and put them under a 60w light (i just used an incandescent bulb).

They both sprouted like a dream.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the reply glimmergrass. I'll follow your instructions with the new seed I soaked last night, now in at about 22 hours. Plates and light as you suggested. Will see how it goes.

Haven't had success with the one that did sprout. It's been under soil for a couple of days now with a light trained on it. Haven't seen anything breaking through the surface yet.

Update: Actually dug it out to diagnose what was going on
Not able to post pictures for whatever reason.
No progress at all since the day it sprouted. Should I plant it again, or was it already done before?

2 seeds left from the second pack. I'm already preparing myself for failing completely this time too. I'm not at all happy right now about this and am considering maybe ordering from a different supplier. I mean, I can understand that perhaps I suck at this, but after following instructions to the dot and going through 8 seeds, having no successes so far, I'm willing to try alternatives.

what strain of seeds did you order? I had a really tough time with the white widows I ordered. I have one growing and two soaking out of 7 seeds. score card - 1 successful - 4 dead - 2 awaiting judgement

billy13778

Hey Franco,

If the light doesn't annoy you some people advocate keeping the light on 24/7 for about a week after the seedling shows itself, then most people will drop it down to 18 hours of of light a day.

Throughout your grow, if you continue using CFLs (I assume this is what you're using), you want to get them as close as possible. I've read a lot of people say 6-10 inches for CFL, seeing as yours is 23W you can probably get away with it being 6 inches away.

Thanks for the reply glimmergrass. I'll follow your instructions with the new seed I soaked last night, now in at about 22 hours. Plates and light as you suggested. Will see how it goes.

Haven't had success with the one that did sprout. It's been under soil for a couple of days now with a light trained on it. Haven't seen anything breaking through the surface yet.

Update: Actually dug it out to diagnose what was going on
Not able to post pictures for whatever reason.
No progress at all since the day it sprouted. Should I plant it again, or was it already done before?

2 seeds left from the second pack. I'm already preparing myself for failing completely this time too. I'm not at all happy right now about this and am considering maybe ordering from a different supplier. I mean, I can understand that perhaps I suck at this, but after following instructions to the dot and going through 8 seeds, having no successes so far, I'm willing to try alternatives.

Hey again Franco,

I can understand why you'd be getting annoyed but don't worry, your plant wants to grow. Put that seed back in the soil and remember to keep it moist. Putting a soda bottle over your seedling will help to keep the soil moist.

Try not to be too impatient as well.

billy: Sorry to here that. I empathize. Feeling the pain here as well, of course. The first batch of 5 were Northern Lights. Now they're Revolver. Both Auto-Fem.

Hey again scousemouse. Thanks for keep up with the thread.

So a quick update: seems like the problem is temperature. I racked my brain yesterday and succeeded at finding a warm spot for the seed that refused to crack open even after being soaked for over 24hrs.

Paper towel between two metal lids over the router. It gets nice and warm there even through the 12-14 degree nights that we're seeing here.

In the morning, lo and behold: A TinyTaproot(tm) has appeared!

Soaked another seed in water last night. Putting that one in the paper towel over the router. Fingers crossed that both of them will grow nice, big taproot before I transplant them.

About the seed that was in soil before: I've placed it in a smaller container with a light less than 3 inches from it. It seems to at least keep the top surface warm. Will keep it moist and see how that comes off.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Update here:

So I'm down to 1 seed untouched so far, out of 10 originally. 3 in the soil.

The latest one did germinate. Grew a nice taproot for the next couple of days. A previous one had grown a nice root which I noticed when I digged it out a few days ago to check. Nothing had surfaced. I planted all of them in a larger pot.

That was about a week ago. None of them have surfaced. They are under lights 12-15 hours of the day, then I shut them off at night.

I don't know what to do anymore. So I can get them to germinate now, but they don't want to grow in the soil.

Should I give up on these ones?

This has to be the hardest plant life I've ever dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom