In Case of Emergency

Savvage61

I been meaning to ask this for awhile now that Ian is heading in our direction and we stand a chance of losing power. what can you do if you Growing Photos and lose power for one or two days? are strong flashlights enough to keep your plants on track. I'm sure someone had to have this happen, Is there anyway to keep your plants in veg?
Thx
Savvager61

Yeah that's a common thing in South Africa. Google loadshedding. Sucks so hard. Best bet is to just keep some of those light bulbs that come on when the power is off. They have some type of battery that recharges. Just have to make sure you take them out of the sockets when it's supposed to be lights out. Hope that helps. Don't need to even be close to what your run in thr tent Lightwise but enough to keep from flowering. I think of it like an overcast day.

what can you do if you Growing Photos and lose power for one or two days? are strong flashlights enough to keep your plants on track. I'm sure someone had to have this happen, Is there anyway to keep your plants in veg?
When it happened to me I did not worry about it. Not much I could do about it but wait it out. Power went out in the afternoon and came back approx 42 hours later. The plants in the vegetating closet were not affected. And, the plants in the flowering tent did not care.

Plants in a vegetating stage tend to take 5 to 7 days, sometimes longer, to start to show that they are switching over to flowering. After 2 days I would be starting to think along the lines of the lack of photosynthesis taking place being more important than whether some of the flowering hormones are being produced.

If you are going to use the flashlights as a light source then a large supply of batteries will be needed to handle many of those flashlights. I doubt that a single, or even two or three flashlights is going to put out all that much usable light for the plants, at least usable enough to stop flowering from starting after 5 days.

You could try a google type of search on "flashlights wattage lumens" and figure out what is what depending on the type of light.

Hey @Savvage61, can you open your tent so the plants are getting daylight, maybe move closer to a window? Then you just need to do "night interruption" – just take bright, white flashlight and "spray" the plants completely with light in the middle of the night. That will prevent flowering.

I use night interruption lighting in my veg greenhouse. A bunch of 13w LED daylight spectrum bulbs come on automatically for a few minutes, at midnight, 2am, and 4am. Works like a charm.

happy growing! 🪴

Back
Top Bottom