Infrared security cam and flowering period

The Germinator

Will the infrared light from a security cam break the dark period during flowering? Like to use mine to see how temps are and that the lights didn't come on or other unforeseen things during lights out. Ok I wanna spy in her to make sure she's being good. Haha.
420-magazine-mobile692993734.jpg

That question came up a couple of months ago and the consensus was that they UV was way too far from visible light to affect the plant. You should be good.

Come on Scientific... your the one with all the definitive answers. Give us some science. FAQs is still loaded with I think "Answers". You sound pretty smart but The Germinator has asked a specific question, and looking for a solid answer.

Germinator I offer this...

I believe our scientific friend is PROBABLY right about the 940nm cameras, they PROBABLY will work for you, but since there is absolutely no science behind his answer, just a solid guess backed by solid guesses I'm not sure I would do it. Is it worth the time, energy, to go with such a lack of definitive evidence? We wouldn't know if any issues you would have were related to this light, or simple nute lock, or myriad other issues. We wouldn't know unless someone had a few grows from clones with the light on and a few with them off. If one wanted to be truly scientific.

Now, the 850nm versions are much closer to the end of the known beneficial light... this is where I believe you may have an issue. I think this one may be a little dangerous. But these are 2 subjective statements that really mean nothing at all scientifically.

So i offer this. Scientific is quite probably right, but he's brought nothing of substance (yet) which is absolutely fine, I'm glad he gave his 2 cents, but would you really risk a season on it? The consensus I have heard is polar opposite from his.

I'm a Manufacturing Engineer by trade. I work for company that manufactures intra ocular lenses. So if your granny needs lens replacement surgery she could end up with my lenses. This is more info that means absolutely nothing, but I think it sounds cool. What I'm getting at, is all I do is fix problems in production and QC. Here's what I would do. Use a meat thermometer with a wire lead ( or wireless if they make them yet) so that the sensor is inside and the display is outside and use a camera on it if you still want to. This unfortunately will only give you temp, and you will need to cover he probe so no light touches it. Or. Use a remote, wireless all in one environmental gauge. These things are pretty cool, and around $25. They can measure a ton of different aspects of you space and and send it up to as much as 150 feet between sensor to display, so it may go through a tent, but I kinda doubt a wall. If you gotta have the info on your phone, buy the camera. If you have a large room you can buy extra sensors (up yo 3 usually) are read different areas of the space

Science guy. You're a good sport. A lot of folks would have gotten offended. You didn't, and I'm so glad. I'm just playing devils advocate. Again youre probably right... but i would feel awful if the information given effected his yield.

192ad7eeb2a1df68955952839e3899ab.jpg

Come on Scientific... your the one with all the definitive answers. Give us some science. FAQs is still loaded with I think "Answers". You sound pretty smart but The Germinator has asked a specific question, and looking for a solid answer.

I remember a previous discussion somewhere (I can't find it in a search) in which a couple of people responded to a similar question saying they had IR cameras in their grow rooms and it hadn't caused any problems. I guess in a courtroom that would be dismissed as hearsay, and I'm the one who's always griping about folklore and BS "Answers," and of course no one wants to bugger up their grow, so...

Here's a quote I found elsewhere on the Interwebs with the Google search "cannabis infrared camera."
I have infrared cameras throughout my grow. Use them to check the controller temps/humidity levels when lights off. Never noticed anything affecting them at all.

That's exactly the kind of response I remember seeing.

The closest I can come to a "solid answer" is to refer you to all of the chlorophyll light absorbance spectra out there. They all end at about 700 nm.

Maybe that's a more acceptable answer? ;)

I remember a previous discussion somewhere (I can't find it in a search) in which a couple of people responded to a similar question saying they had IR cameras in their grow rooms and it hadn't caused any problems. I guess in a courtroom that would be dismissed as hearsay, and I'm the one who's always griping about folklore and BS "Answers," and of course no one wants to bugger up their grow, so...

Here's a quote I found elsewhere on the Interwebs with the Google search "cannabis infrared camera."
I have infrared cameras throughout my grow. Use them to check the controller temps/humidity levels when lights off. Never noticed anything affecting them at all.

That's exactly the kind of response I remember seeing.

The closest I can come to a "solid answer" is to refer you to all of the chlorophyll light absorbance spectra out there. They all end at about 700 nm.

Maybe that's a more acceptable answer? ;)
Nice. Let's go with that!

Back
Top Bottom