Intellectual Property Rights for Cannabis - Hell NO!

Should a Company be permitted to have intellectual property rights on Cannabis strain

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Folks, I have been following GW Pharmaceuticals for some time. GW is the Company that is developing and marketing Sativex globally. I am following this Company because I have concerns over GW's aggressive policy in regards to plant variety rights.

Here is what GW states about intellectual property.

GW adopts an aggressive approach to securing intellectual property rights to protect techniques and technologies involved in the development programme. Protection is sought in the areas listed below:
- Plant variety rights
- Methods of extraction patents
- Drug delivery patents
- Patents on compositions of matter for delivery of cannabis
- Methods of use patents
- Design copyright on devices
- Trademarks

In the last few years our intellectual property portfolio has developed considerably. The patent portfolio has more than doubled in size and comprises 42 patent families, within these families there are numerous granted patents both in the UK and in various territories around the world. GW has also developed a trademark portfolio of 21 UK registered trademarks with equivalent marks registered in many other territories around the world. GW also holds nine registered design rights and nine plant variety rights.

Do you agree that a large multi-national should be able to have patent protection on strains of cannabis they develop (known as Chemovars). I would be keen to see your opinions on this subject.

Re: Intellectual Property Rights for Cannabis - Hell NO!!!!

Are they not supposed to be genetically enginered strains that they are trying to patent?

so what would this mean? that they are going to be a mega-power and patent the genetics of White Widow or Master Kush? How the hell would or could they regulate genetics? Doesn't seem feasible to me.

sounds shiesty to me, but then again they are putting in alot of work. But can you patent genetics? I'd say a patent on their strain would be best since it has a time limit on it. Additionally, what if someone stumbles on the same strain in their basement accidently.

Back
Top Bottom