Is it better to wet trim or dry trim?

Good morning @Phillybonker

You will find that there are growers on both sides of the fence and have good reasons why they do it.

Myself I prefer to wet trim, so when the bud is drying; if there are any minor imperfection is the trim get sucked into the bud.

I recommend you try them both and see what works for you.

Be safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
Good morning Tokin Roll, you just reminded me that it is 1AM where I'm at and I better go to sleep soon.

The trim getting sucked into the bud when the bud is drying does indeed get rid of imperfections, so good point there.

I always wet trimmed, but I started dry trim 2 harvests ago after being convinced that it was best to do things this way by a friend who had a side by side comparison to show me. I will never go back to wet trim after seeing how well this worked. First, with the leaves folding down over the buds instead of being wet trimmed away, I was able to get my first long 7-14 day slow dry in, and this seems to have greatly increased the potency of my product. Dry trim was much easier too, since all I did was hang the entire plant upside down at harvest, and when it came to trim day I was pleasantly surprised to see that just the simple act of stripping the buds from the branch tended to strip away the dried leaf surrounding the still moist buds and there was very little trimming that needed to be done. If I wanted a manicured dispensary look I could have thrown the buds in my roto trimmer for a few turns, but for my use that wasn't necessary, so trimming only took about 15 minutes per plant. Since the room I was drying in was maintained at 65% RH, the buds were also at a rock solid 65% RH, so for the first time I was able to go from branch, straight to the curing jar without days of burping to get the humidity down into the curing range.

I'll go out on a ledge here and suggest that dry trimming results in a better terp profile. Sort of. I've noticed that the buds that are trimmed wet don't have as much smell to them. Still smelly but I think as above, the slower dry is what helps.

I'll go out on a ledge here and suggest that dry trimming results in a better terp profile. Sort of. I've noticed that the buds that are trimmed wet don't have as much smell to them. Still smelly but I think as above, the slower dry is what helps.
Know what you're saying and yeah, maybe
But, if I let it dry too slow the slightly hay whiff doesn't go away I find, until you grind it, then boom!
I suppose it is totally dependent on environment, so what works one place don't work in another
Guess that's why we all have slightly different methods rather than blindly following supposed 'rules'

I like to dry trim, I pull the plants whole and hang them, the fan leaves slow the drying process, and IMHO make for a slower dry and better cure. The other reason I dry trim, is with wet trimming it gunks up the scissors too fast! But the bottom line is, there's no right or wrong way.

I dry trim, because I use a bucket (with a lid called a debudder) to pull the buds off the branches, and wet just makes it more difficult (and messy). I had to go to the bucket, because I get severe pain in my wrists and shoulder after trimming for even an hour.

I always wet trimmed, but I started dry trim 2 harvests ago after being convinced that it was best to do things this way by a friend who had a side by side comparison to show me. I will never go back to wet trim after seeing how well this worked. First, with the leaves folding down over the buds instead of being wet trimmed away, I was able to get my first long 7-14 day slow dry in, and this seems to have greatly increased the potency of my product. Dry trim was much easier too, since all I did was hang the entire plant upside down at harvest, and when it came to trim day I was pleasantly surprised to see that just the simple act of stripping the buds from the branch tended to strip away the dried leaf surrounding the still moist buds and there was very little trimming that needed to be done. If I wanted a manicured dispensary look I could have thrown the buds in my roto trimmer for a few turns, but for my use that wasn't necessary, so trimming only took about 15 minutes per plant. Since the room I was drying in was maintained at 65% RH, the buds were also at a rock solid 65% RH, so for the first time I was able to go from branch, straight to the curing jar without days of burping to get the humidity down into the curing range.
If I bud washed first then do a wet trim I wonder if that will slow the drying process? I can keep the humidity a bit higher as well.

when I need to wash, which is most all the time, I do it by taking the whole plant to the bathtub. One tub is good for 3 or 4 plants (one at a time) with a bottle of peroxide mixed in. Then I drain the tub and go to the next step or a rinse. Bottom line, you can still wash entire plants and then hang them up to slow dry. I put a fan on them for the first day though, to get all the bathwater evaporated.

when I need to wash, which is most all the time, I do it by taking the whole plant to the bathtub. One tub is good for 3 or 4 plants (one at a time) with a bottle of peroxide mixed in. Then I drain the tub and go to the next step or a rinse. Bottom line, you can still wash entire plants and then hang them up to slow dry. I put a fan on them for the first day though, to get all the bathwater evaporated.
That's pretty much my routine - peroxide, rinse, dry

Back
Top Bottom