Is it safe to use a extension cord with grow lights?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for those opinions that are knowledgeable about electricity, saftey and such..

I have an issue where I don't have much room in my place to add an extra grow tent, and the one area I could fit a 2nd tent has no outlet available nearby.

My question is this...Is it safe to use a extension cord with grow lights (Led or HID)?? I am referring to the orange type extension cords (grounded 3 prong) that you would pick up at the hardware store and use with power tools.

I would probably be using a 25 foot cord because I can't add more amps to the circut with my 1000w's running so I would have to use it from another room....

Would this be safe to do?

The tent would be for veg so the largest I would go with lighting would be 600w but most likely will stick to 400w so I can run a CMH for veg...

If HID isn't safe, I may have to go to LED so the same question applies...

I appreciate any input but prefer ones with a electrical background...thanks :)

To be safe, do not go over 25 feet in length. Also get a heavy duty one rated 14(AWG) Don't load more then 1800 watts if on a 20 amp circuit. If you are plugging it into a 15 amp circuit, do go over 1400 watts total on the circuit. This will reduce the risk of fire. Let's all be safe!

these are the rated amps for common wire sizes16awg=10amps,14awg=15amps,12awg=20amps,10awg=30amps) these are good for short runs, for really long runs(150ft+) you should go a wire size bigger on account of voltage drop.

I would go with regular household hard copper wiring for the extension cord. Some 12/3 will work good. The just wire the correct plugins on the end and you shouldn't have to worry about the wiring heating up and causing problems. If you could wire it into your fuse box and put it on a separate breaker it would even be better. Always over build your wiring. Its a shame to see homes burned down because they tried to go too cheap on the wiring.

I would go with regular household hard copper wiring for the extension cord. Some 12/3 will work good. The just wire the correct plugins on the end and you shouldn't have to worry about the wiring heating up and causing problems. If you could wire it into your fuse box and put it on a separate breaker it would even be better. Always over build your wiring. Its a shame to see homes burned down because they tried to go too cheap on the wiring.

That's what I say. Stay safe, going cheep is not worth a fire.

Happy Holidays!

:party:

You should be fine just check and make sure the cord is rated at or above what you are using it for and check to see if it is running hot every once in awhile.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! I still am trying to figure out the best place to put a 2nd grow tent...but have a very small apartment so my spots are limited!!! This definitely helps knowing that an extension cord will work .

Hey IceMud,

At most hardware stores that have generators carry extra heavyduty extension cords, 4x the cost of a regular one but the one I use is a 6ga rated for 50amps. RV supply stores carry them as well. My 25ft ran me $100

Back
Top Bottom