Is this normal?

Firsttimer1

420 Member
Hey all,
My plant is not looking too good and i have no clue what to do.
I am growing a wedding gelato plant in soil. (i think its a auto) it is about 3 weeks into the flowering stage. I am growing outdoors in miami. I used fox farm ocean forest mix. I transplated the plant from a solo cup to a bigger pot. It is almost 3 months old.
Around a month in i started to notice the leaves getting a discoloration and i was told by kind people on here that my plant looked hungry and needed to be fed. I took their advise and i got the general hydroponics flora series trio. I have been using it and have recently been feeding it 1ml of floragrow, 4ml of floramicro, and 6ml of florabloom. I have been feeding it about 1-2 times a week. I also tested my ph and it was high so i got aluminum sulfate which i read lowers it. I think it has been working because i do see that it has been going down. Right now the ph is 7.
(Also it smelt like weed in the early veg stage but now it has like a murky smell.)
IMG_5028.jpeg
IMG_5038.jpeg
IMG_5036.jpeg
IMG_5037.jpeg

MY MAIN QUESTION:

Based off this information, and the photos I included, can you help me out and tell me what is wrong with my girl and what i should do because i really want to make my first grow successful.

Thanks!

I blend it with water. I have not always waited for the soil to be dry.
Good deal. Nutrient or fertilizer "burn" can happen when too much/too strong of a fertilizer is added. If you're following the manufacturer label recommendations, you should be good. The yellowing in the lower leaves look like possible overwatering. You could try letting it dry back a bit and see how it responds.

Good deal. Nutrient or fertilizer "burn" can happen when too much/too strong of a fertilizer is added. If you're following the manufacturer label recommendations, you should be good. The yellowing in the lower leaves look like possible overwatering. You could try letting it dry back a bit and see how it responds.
Ok thanks, the upper leaves have brown stripes. Do you know what it is?

Ok thanks, the upper leaves have brown stripes. Do you know what it is?
CalMag deficiency can look like that ,it will give brown patches on the leaves.
It won't hurt the plant to add CalMag at the recommended dosage

Hey all,
I am growing a wedding gelato plant in soil. (i think its a auto) it is about 3 weeks into the flowering stage. I am growing outdoors in miami. I used fox farm ocean forest mix. I transplated the plant from a solo cup to a bigger pot. It is almost 3 months old.
Around a month in i started to notice the leaves getting a discoloration and i was told by kind people on here that my plant looked hungry and needed to be fed. I took their advise and i got the general hydroponics flora series trio. I have been using it and have recently been feeding it 1ml of floragrow, 4ml of floramicro, and 6ml of florabloom. I have been feeding it about 1-2 times a week. I also tested my ph and it was high so i got aluminum sulfate which i read lowers it. I think it has been working because i do see that it has been going down. Right now the ph is 7.
(Also it smelt like weed in the early veg stage but now it has like a murky smell.)
I guess you mean Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom salt) not Aluminum sulfate? Aluminum is toxic to plants in very low concentration. Epsom salt has a pH of 5.5.

First picture looks like leaf miner damage. It's a high possibility since you're outdoors. I wouldn't lower pH when experiencing low Ca/Mg in the feed. If you add Epsom(Magnesium sulfate) on top of the feed add very low dosage like 0.3-0.5g per gallon.

Good luck and Cheers!

I guess you mean Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom salt) not Aluminum sulfate? Aluminum is toxic to plants in very low concentration. Epsom salt has a pH of 5.5.

First picture looks like leaf miner damage. It's a high possibility since you're outdoors. I wouldn't lower pH when experiencing low Ca/Mg in the feed. If you add Epsom(Magnesium sulfate) on top of the feed add very low dosage like 0.3-0.5g per gallon.

Good luck and Cheers!
I didn’t get magnesium sulfate. I got aluminum sulfate

It is not looking all that bad either. A couple common problems but it still is looking relatively healthy. The plant is 3 weeks into flower so about 6 to 7 more weeks to go on average unless it is one of those really long term flowering strains. Work on keeping it properly fed and watch out for insects, mildews and mold and get ready for doing an early spring harvest.

My thoughts have been that once the problem in your first photo shows up or the yellowing leaves as shown in the other photos it gets really hard to correct them. I try to slow down those changes best I can and ride it out to harvest.

I also tested my ph and it was high so i got aluminum sulfate which i read lowers it. I think it has been working because i do see that it has been going down. Right now the ph is 7.
What did you run the pH test on? Was it the water you were going to use or the soil? Or something else in the grow?

I have the feeling that you might have misunderstood using aluminum sulfate for pH control. When mixed with water it will form sulfuric acid and then sometimes the water is used to start changing soil pH. I did not find a recommendation to use it for changing water pH to water plants but have to admit I did not spend a lot of time looking either.

Most likely you will be better off getting a 'pH down' product from a grow shop or well stocked gardening store. You are growing in Ocean Forest which is a natural or mineral soil so shoot for the recommended water pH of 6.3 and not something as high as 7. Lower the pH of the water you are going to use to 6.3 and then mix in the fertilizers following any instructions from General Hydroponics. Wait 15 minutes and test the pH of the mixed nutrients and water. Re-adjust to 6.3 if necessary so be ready with a 'pH up' product just in case.

Have fun watching your plant go through flowering.

Back
Top Bottom