Is this nutrient burn?

kevboe11

Is this a nutrient burn or deficiency? Or even a root problem? Thanks

20240214_115257.jpg

20240214_115252.jpg

Need a bit more information, what nutes, how often, grow media, ph of water etc. The leaves in one of the pics look very dark green, with burnt tips, which is indicative of too much N. Too much N can make uptake of P and K problematic. The other issue, without knowing more about feeding, is that the symptons of a deficiency and toxicity of of P and K look very similar.

I am growing in a 50-50 mix Fox Farms Coco and Ocean, plus I add some perlite. I am feeding 8 ml per gal of Fox Farms Tiger Bloom and 4 ml per gallon of Terpinator every 2nd watering, meaning I feed them 2 plain water then feed. I water every other day, sometimes every other 2 days or 3 days, depends on the weight. I'm growing autos at varying ages and stages. The plant in question is every other day or 2 watering. 20-4 light schedule led with sup UV A and IR 2 hrs day. plenty of brisk fresh air, constant mid 70s temp down to mid 60s for 10 hrs day, I got some purps I'm trying to get out. Humidity low, around 50% throughout grow. PH between 6.2-6.6. I think I got it all. And I'm using Grow Big from FF for my vegetative autos. Every 1.5-2 weeks I do a molasses watering too, 20 ml per gallon

Fox Farms has a multi-bottle feeding regime. How many bottles depends on which ones you go with, but Tiger Bloom is not a complete food by itself, even adding Terpinator in. Your plant is almost certainly just missing what is in the other two bottles you should be using with Tiger Bloom. You can probably find feeding schedules on their website, but you might have to email them directly for advice about feeding a mix of coco and soil.

The leaves in one of the pics look very dark green, with burnt tips, which is indicative of too much N. Too much N can make uptake of P and K problematic.
Noticed that but no mention of two or more plants so I figure we have two photos of the same plant but each photo is a different exposure so different shades of green.

My Blue Dream and Peanut Butter Cup clones have the same dark green color whether I have recently fertilized or have held off for some reason or another. Sometimes they look so dark green they remind me of recently fertilized Kentucky Blue Grass lawns.

Fox Farms has a multi-bottle feeding regime. How many bottles depends on which ones you go with, but Tiger Bloom is not a complete food by itself, even adding Terpinator in. Your plant is almost certainly just missing what is in the other two bottles you should be using with Tiger Bloom. You can probably find feeding schedules on their website, but you might have to email them directly for advice about feeding a mix of coco and soil.

this right here. fox farm is a minimum three bottle system and has a total of 12+ bottles if you get the full program.

I am seeing clearly defined localised spots, not blotches or a general discolouration
Check for mites

So I thought the same thing in my grow. I was positive it had to be pests of some sort especially because a lot of the “holes” appeared almost perfectly circular and it looked like feeding patterns.

It was actually calcium that was giving me those weird little spots. I’ll look for my pictures of it when I get a bit of time.

As @Sueet and @bluter both said, OP is using a three part nutrient system but is only using one of three parts. All three bottles are meant for the whole grow, in shifting amounts. I also notice OP didn’t mention CalMag anywhere. The FF trio may provide it on its own but I wouldn’t bet my grow on it. If I were OP I would read up on the FF trio, use it full strength as directed, and double check on whether or not they need to use CalMag with it

So here’s what it looks like in the beginning as it progresses.. in the third image I took a close up, and you can see the color and shape looks just like OPs last picture, bottom left leaf.

IMG_7381.jpeg

Notice all the little yellow dots along the veins here

IMG_7382.png

And here it is full blown issue
IMG_7383.png

It looks VERY similar to pests munching, however, I don’t even have fungus gnats let alone mites

I would say OP is likely experiencing a couple issues directly related to unbalanced feeding. This would explain conflicting signals and odd behaviors.

I am using the basic 3 bottle fox farm but with my flowering plants I cut out the Grow Big and only do Big Bloom every other week. I also do Bloom Booster every other week, so I'll do Big Bloom then Bloom Booster back to Big Bloom ECT... . The spots do not rub off so I don't think it's a foliar fungus. I just gave it an good dose of molasses water, see if that helps. As for pests, I never had a problem with them before, but I don't really signs of them.

I am using the basic 3 bottle fox farm but with my flowering plants I cut out the Grow Big and only do Big Bloom every other week. I also do Bloom Booster every other week, so I'll do Big Bloom then Bloom Booster back to Big Bloom ECT... . The spots do not rub off so I don't think it's a foliar fungus. I just gave it an good dose of molasses water, see if that helps. As for pests, I never had a problem with them before, but I don't really signs of them.

normally you would use all of them balanced together all through the grow. the booster is added as part of the program not as a stand alone.

you should follow the mfgrs feed chart for your media. part of the issue is likely you are stuck between two different media. i would expect some ongoing nute and feeding issues.

I notice that you’re not using any calmag (unless I missed it), that could be an issue. To add to what @Sueet said, the normal Fox farms trio is grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom, and I would add bush doctor (calmag). It's probably past time for the grow big, that's for veg mostly.

This is the exact chart you should be feeding with the exact amounts. It calls for the use of calmag as well, use that and your problems won’t get worse.

IMG_7387.jpeg

If @Emilya Green was here right now she would go in about the fact that these are products that scientists and companies have spent tons of time and money figuring out. “They know what they’re doing better than you, stick to the chart”

This is the exact chart you should be feeding with the exact amounts. It calls for the use of calmag as well, use that and your problems won’t get worse.

IMG_7387.jpeg

If @Emilya Green was here right now she would go in about the fact that these are products that scientists and companies have spent tons of time and money figuring out. “They know what they’re doing better than you, stick to the chart”

I'll add to that, IMHO, everything below the Calmag is not necessary unless you like spending money!

I'll add to that, IMHO, everything below the Calmag is not necessary unless you like spending money!

I agree a thousand percent. It’s almost all snake oil, and the stuff that isn’t, can be easily found at a garden center for literally dirt cheap.

pretty much agree with everyone else ..

part of the issue is the grow is 50% coco. so the chart does not apply strictly. he's stuck between hydro and soil rules. some of the damage i see looks like ph. i'm not sure but either or both media are ph balanced, but they are balanced by media type, i kinda think they are fighting each other a bit.

part of the issue is the grow is 50% coco. so the chart does not apply strictly. he's stuck between hydro and soil rules. some of the damage i see looks like ph. i'm not sure but either or both media are ph balanced, but they are balanced by media type, i kinda think they are fighting each other a bit.

I see calcium and potassium going on. If he were feeding full strength as directed those nutrients should be holding the medium balanced. If anything he should probably be using even more often due to the coco. I imagine he’s likely seeing salt crystal issues from the coco drying out which is probably what’s giving the weird ph look.

I use a decent amount of coco when first using a bag of ocean forest and this is some of the same stuff I saw in the beginning of doing that. I definitely don’t use 50% though. If I did I would be feeding full strength every other time while not letting the medium dry out, especially with added perlite.

It's on the verge of "frankensoil". I'm sure it could grow good crops, but there's gonna be a learning curve to figure out what nutes/ph and watering cycles are optimum. What a lot of people don't realize is that because two soils are good on their own, mixing the two may not make a good soil, i.e., mixing soils doesn't always work!

Back
Top Bottom