Is this nutrient burn?

I see calcium and potassium going on. If he were feeding full strength as directed those nutrients should be holding the medium balanced. If anything he should probably be using even more often due to the coco. I imagine he’s likely seeing salt crystal issues from the coco drying out which is probably what’s giving the weird ph look.

exactly. and the peat/soil base is doing the opposite and exacerbating the problem.

I use a decent amount of coco when first using a bag of ocean forest and this is some of the same stuff I saw in the beginning of doing that. I definitely don’t use 50% though.

i'm sure it's the same issues.

It's on the verge of "frankensoil". I'm sure it could grow good crops, but there's gonna be a learning curve to figure out what nutes/ph and watering cycles are optimum. What a lot of people don't realize is that because two soils are good on their own, mixing the two may not make a good soil, i.e., mixing soils doesn't always work!

they can work but you need to have the experience and background already in place.

edit : i will say the plant looks miles better than i would expect given the media and nute inputs.

I didn't have luck just using Ocean before it seemed too hot for my grows, that is why I cut it with the Coco. And this is the only plant that is like that out of a dozen bigger ones and I got like a dozen and a half of newbies, under 3 weeks old. I am really thinking light/heat stress. Its only on one side, but then that wouldn't explain the lower leaves, damn. I don't know. After cropping and molasses water, the plant seems better.

I didn't have luck just using Ocean before it seemed too hot for my grows, that is why I cut it with the Coco.

it's too hot to sprout or for seedlings. the supplier itself is vocal about it. if you use it you need to start in the starter media they advertise.

And this is the only plant that is like that out of a dozen bigger ones and I got like a dozen and a half of newbies, under 3 weeks old. I am really thinking light/heat stress. Its only on one side, but then that wouldn't explain the lower leaves, damn. I don't know. After cropping and molasses water, the plant seems better.

ocean only has a few weeks worth of embedded nutes. it will smooth out if things were too hot to begin, but you need to be ready with a proper nute schedule to take over and finish the plant.

you've done crazy good things with what you have been working with. it's impressive. i couldn't do near as good.

you could probably coast most of the way in but i have no idea how well the plant would finish. you'll be hammering it for sure with a few tweaks in a grow or two.

o_O I start seeds in Ocean Forest. Unless my local shop is selling fake OF lol ... hum.

it won't be fake. fox farm has it's own seedling mix. ocean forest isn't bad but it can be hot for some seedlings. fox farm has hotter mixes than OF.

o_O I start seeds in Ocean Forest. Unless my local shop is selling fake OF lol ... hum.
I use it for seeds too, never had any issues. The FF plant/headquarters is just a few hours from me, I know it’s real and I get it “dirt” cheap, $22 for 3 cu ft. Twice the size that most places carry.

I didn't have luck just using Ocean before it seemed too hot for my grows, that is why I cut it with the Coco

If you cut it with perlite, and use a larger container you’ll be able to run straight OF the whole grow.

Being “too hot” isn’t something I’ve ever run into (with soil). Usually what happens when this occurs is the soil hasn’t been hydrated well enough, or, something happened during the process that has left the bag unbalanced. These are individual issues that don’t affect the entire lot.

I also have plenty of Ocean Forest on hand and there is nothing in the bag that would be “too hot”. Here is a direct description from the company:

“Our most popular potting soil, Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, fish meal and crab meal. Aged forest products and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive! Garden tip: Designed for containers and ready to use right out of the bag.”

None of those amendments will ever cause a “too hot” problem unless somehow they are severely out of balance or the bag has dried to a crisp and not been properly rehydrated.

The entire point of a soil grow is that “too hot” really can’t happen. The nutrients are locked up in the amendments that are added to the soil. As the microbes and plant work together they start breaking into those amendments and making them available. Typically growers experience “too hot” issues with more powerful soils or when they attempt to mineralize a soil without proper decomposition, or when the microbial activity is so great it overwhelms the plant. That last one typically takes some skill to reach and you know it’s a possibility because you built the soil.

I do believe in prior decades Ocean Forest had a reputation for being “too hot” but again, I’m unsure about that and can’t speak to it personally

Its only on one side, but then that wouldn't explain the lower leaves, damn. I don't know.

So if for some reason that specific side came under stress or was physically damaged in some way, the plant will go there first when it no longer has as much nutrition as it needs. The plant will move in on the least effective photosynthesizing leaves first, ESPECIALLY, once you’re in flower and are no longer building large fan leaves. It will take what it needs from whichever least efficient leaf will serve its purpose. This is why I often don’t use those deficiency charts. They work when the grow is vegging and everything is firing correctly. However, once you’re in flower, all bets are off, and if your medium is unbalanced you can spend forever and never see the same signs as the charts.

This is also why we don’t remove leaves showing issues. If we do, the plant just moves to the next leaf and starts on that one. It’s better to leave the leaves until they fall off on their own. If you want them out of the way just bend them out of the way.

exactly. and the peat/soil base is doing the opposite and exacerbating the problem

You think so? I’m not convinced. The reason I’m not is we have quite a few soil growers that keep the medium moist the whole grow. I think it’s way more harmful letting the coco dry out than it is keeping the soil moist.

Unless you’re talking about the push pull of the ph, which, in that case, I think would be fine as long as the full part nutrient line was being used, that way as they’re pushing and pulling different uptake zones are being hit.

As I was typing that out I see now what you meant by its fine if you know what you’re doing 🤣

You think so? I’m not convinced. The reason I’m not is we have quite a few soil growers that keep the medium moist the whole grow. I think it’s way more harmful letting the coco dry out than it is keeping the soil moist.

which one are you balancing for? the media is 50% of each. how do you wanna choose ?

As I was typing that out I see now what you meant by its fine if you know what you’re doing

lotsa guys make their own media. it's usually clearly one type or another though.

which one are you balancing for? the media is 50% of each. how do you wanna choose ?

So this sort of depends on the coco chosen. If it’s just straight coco coir with nothing extra, I’d lean into the soil. The coco does not have the nutrient content on its own aside from its carbon and the potassium it makes available upon decomposition.(I use coco for its carbon (browns) and the K it makes available in my mixes.)

So since it’s basically a filler unless utilized otherwise, I would be trying to work with the soil ranges. Again though, if I was using a nutrient system, all of this would be handled with relative ease by using full strength. The only thing that would really be debatable in my mind is how often to feed. Since soil calls for twice weekly, and coco typically calls for every feeding, I would go somewhere around every other watering hit with full strength until the plant told us what it wants.

Ok so I see I upset someone by saying Ocean Forest was too hot for my particular grow. I am just stating personal experience, and from what I have read in the past pretty frequently, what was experienced from other growers. It wasn't meant to diss FF in any way, hence the fact that I still use their soil, just a different product with it. So I don't know why we got our panties in a bunch but I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I appreciate everyone's help, the ones that actually helped, thank you. The problem seems to be rectified now, thank you.

Ok so I see I upset someone by saying Ocean Forest was too hot for my particular grow. I am just stating personal experience, and from what I have read in the past pretty frequently, what was experienced from other growers. It wasn't meant to diss FF in any way, hence the fact that I still use their soil, just a different product with it. So I don't know why we got our panties in a bunch but I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I appreciate everyone's help, the ones that actually helped, thank you. The problem seems to be rectified now, thank you.

This must be your first interaction with me. You shared an incorrect observation and I corrected it with evidence. I’m not going to tell you you’re wrong without proving it, seems pretty disrespectful and arrogant to do that. My apologies if you felt I was attacking you.

I don't think anyone here is upset, unless you are. We just all use that product and have never experienced anything like it being too hot. We really are only trying to help.

There are so many things that can go wrong with a grow tho, how did you decide the problem was the soil being too hot? I agree with you, a lot of people DO say it is too hot (and maybe it could have actually been too hot in some distant past), but I think it's more of a situation where the soil gets the blame because the grower didn't understand something.

We all have varying situations when growing, that's obvious. Just because I experience something does t mean somebody else will and vice versa. No 2 grows are the same, I figured that was a common denominator. I was looking for ideas as to what it could be. I got the answers. There is no reason for people to get all but hurt about certain products. Like I said, any number of things change grow to grow so nobody can definitely say it is this or that or I am wrong for seeing this result or that. I'm just stating my facts. Nobody else is experiencing what I did. So to say definitely that it is not the soil or is the soil because of your personal experience is your opinion and not fact. It may be a majority opinion, but opinion none the less. I'm not offended at all. I corrected the problem already. But I don't think it's correct to say my experience with certain things is a fluke. I am not a newbie but I'm not an experienced grower. I could be 99 and still not be experienced in my eyes, there is always more to learn in an ever changing dynamic as growing cannabis. And personally I don't even partake in the fruits of my labor, I give it all away to friends. I do it as a hobby. I like doing it. I have a CDL and get random on the spot urines, in an illegal state. So I really really don't give a damn what my results are at the end of the day.

I think it's more of a situation where the soil gets the blame because the grower didn't understand something.

This is basically what I was trying to say, in a lot less words 😂

I can’t count the number of times growers have come here certain their problem was the soil only to realize it’s something they’ve been doing wrong or didn’t even know about. I’m not shocked by it. There are large corporations with a vested interest in ensuring your average person doesn’t understand natural plant growth. However now I’m getting into a hazy area that is its own conversation lol.

We all have varying situations when growing, that's obvious. Just because I experience something does t mean somebody else will and vice versa. No 2 grows are the same, I figured that was a common denominator. I was looking for ideas as to what it could be. I got the answers. There is no reason for people to get all but hurt about certain products. Like I said, any number of things change grow to grow so nobody can definitely say it is this or that or I am wrong for seeing this result or that. I'm just stating my facts. Nobody else is experiencing what I did. So to say definitely that it is not the soil or is the soil because of your personal experience is your opinion and not fact. It may be a majority opinion, but opinion none the less. I'm not offended at all. I corrected the problem already. But I don't think it's correct to say my experience with certain things is a fluke. I am not a newbie but I'm not an experienced grower. I could be 99 and still not be experienced in my eyes, there is always more to learn in an ever changing dynamic as growing cannabis. And personally I don't even partake in the fruits of my labor, I give it all away to friends. I do it as a hobby. I like doing it. I have a CDL and get random on the spot urines, in an illegal state. So I really really don't give a damn what my results are at the end of the day.

We’ve got a couple of people here who do the same. I can’t resist giving my flowers a shot so I don’t know how you do it lol. I tried growing while I was in the Army but it was just too tempting. Then they made me the guy in charge of giving drug tests 😂

Are you able to use CBD? Growing your own CBD is a lot better than the otc stuff I’ve come across

I see on average a 2+ ounce harvest per auto plant, every 8 weeks or so. I have 4 growing right now that will yield 4+ ounces a piece when ready, they had an extended veg period. So I must be doing something right

It is so tempting, it's hard to resist. Especially when you get that first wiff in the morning, I just want to grab a bud and take a bite out of it. They smell delicious to me. Sometimes I get a break in winter and get laid of a few weeks, I can partake for a couple days then but for 97% of the time, I have to resist. My state is going to be legal shortly though, hopefully the feds will follow cause ultimately a CDL falls under federal guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom