Issues with digital timers - Programming quirks

Can I be the only one who has this issue?

I've had years of problems with my digital timers. Maybe it's just the brand of the ONLY ones that are available locally, which are made by 'Woods'. Curse you, Woods! I've been through several of their timers and they all have had the same issue. I don't know if other brands have this same quirk.

I've been reducing the 'on' hours of the two lights in the flowering room for the sake of the sativas, by 15 minutes at a time, and may go as low as 10/14 before they're finished. However, it seems like whenever I reprogram a setting on one of these stupid things, their state of the art circuitry cannot handle the change. What typically happens is that- after any tweaking of the programmed times, they either:
- do not come on at the designated 'on' time, and therefore stay off,
- or much more commonly, come on and stay on -till I figure it out. Figuring it out isn't as easy as you might think!

In order to get in to my flowering room I have to go through the veg room. This generally means I can only go in there when the flowering room lights are meant to be on, or I'll be screwing up the light cycle. Sometimes because of scheduling I have to go in anyway, and in that case I'll shut all the veg lights off and use a green led headlamp to work.
Usually it takes me a few days to figure out, to my horror, that the timers are messed up and the lights aren't working right. I have had no way of knowing what's going on in the flowering room without going in there. A couple times I've been in the veg room and heard the heat vent fan going when lights were supposed to be off, and got suspicious. Other times I've clued in because the pots were drying up faster than usual.

I've gotten to the point of realizing that every time I reprogram a timer, I have to unplug it, remove the little battery in the back to reset it completely, and reprogram everything from scratch. This is the only sure way to know that the thing isn't going to get 'confused'. This also has its hazards if I make a mistake when reprogramming all the info.

Tonight I rigged up extension cords that run off of those flowering light timers, one for each light- A and B. They run through the walls into the veg room and have indicator night lights plugged into the end of each one. These lights will go on and off with the timers and should tell me what's happening with the lights. I should have done this years ago.
I hate you Woods.

image35983.jpg

I'm with you. I use push pin type. I had trouble with a digital one when I started out. Still have it collecting dust. I went into my room and found the lights on when they shouldn't have been. Last time I used it. Good luck bro

You should consider some type of cctv system. I have one and it's nice to, pop in my room from time to time. You can even rig an old smart phone to send video to a new smart phone, or a different one. Free app called Alfred ;)

I have a strange quirk with my digital timers too, if i set a on/off program it turns on but does not turn back off, i had to set a second program with the same times as the first so it turns back off lol, i have 2 timers exactly the same as each other, i just set them and dont mess with them :rofl:

Can I be the only one who has this issue?

I've had years of problems with my digital timers. Maybe it's just the brand of the ONLY ones that are available locally, which are made by 'Woods'. Curse you, Woods! I've been through several of their timers and they all have had the same issue. I don't know if other brands have this same quirk.

I've been reducing the 'on' hours of the two lights in the flowering room for the sake of the sativas, by 15 minutes at a time, and may go as low as 10/14 before they're finished. However, it seems like whenever I reprogram a setting on one of these stupid things, their state of the art circuitry cannot handle the change. What typically happens is that- after any tweaking of the programmed times, they either:
- do not come on at the designated 'on' time, and therefore stay off,
- or much more commonly, come on and stay on -till I figure it out. Figuring it out isn't as easy as you might think!

In order to get in to my flowering room I have to go through the veg room. This generally means I can only go in there when the flowering room lights are meant to be on, or I'll be screwing up the light cycle. Sometimes because of scheduling I have to go in anyway, and in that case I'll shut all the veg lights off and use a green led headlamp to work.
Usually it takes me a few days to figure out, to my horror, that the timers are messed up and the lights aren't working right. I have had no way of knowing what's going on in the flowering room without going in there. A couple times I've been in the veg room and heard the heat vent fan going when lights were supposed to be off, and got suspicious. Other times I've clued in because the pots were drying up faster than usual.

I've gotten to the point of realizing that every time I reprogram a timer, I have to unplug it, remove the little battery in the back to reset it completely, and reprogram everything from scratch. This is the only sure way to know that the thing isn't going to get 'confused'. This also has its hazards if I make a mistake when reprogramming all the info.

Tonight I rigged up extension cords that run off of those flowering light timers, one for each light- A and B. They run through the walls into the veg room and have indicator night lights plugged into the end of each one. These lights will go on and off with the timers and should tell me what's happening with the lights. I should have done this years ago.
I hate you Woods.

image35983.jpg

great idea. I can't manage the damned digital ones just the push pin ones and they seem harder to find in the 15 minute intervals at decent prices unless I just buy a power strip with timer (4 outlets with timer & 4 constant on) by Hydrofarm for like $25.00. shame normally only need to outlets to a timer. Yes sir you're not the only one with this f'ing frustration.

Cool. Thanks guys for the replies! I feel much less alone now. I'd never heard anyone else mentioning this problem before.

CaptainB The kind I have now are the strip type ones with 4 timed outlets and 4 regular ones. It's nice to have all those outlets available. In the past however I had two-outlet timers (also made by Woods) which had the same exact issues. I use the digital ones because of frequent power outages that used to leave my mechanical timers operating a scrambled lighting schedule most weeks, especially in winter. The digital ones seem to be more wimpy but I give them light power loads and they seem to work so far.

MassMedMan thanks for passing through. A CCTV setup would be awesome. It would definitely help keep my mind at ease when I wasn't in there. In the past I've had bulbs burn out. One of them actually burnt right up and fried the socket- was hanging dangling by some burnt wires when I got back. I've also had a timer melt right down and go up in smoke, which was a gruesome sight indeed. Mostly though I've just had issues with the on/off settings. Maybe I'll go the CCTV route someday. I checked out a couple iphone apps. I'd never thought of something like that. I do have a couple old iPhones. Not much cell service at all, though some apps may work by Bluetooth I'm not sure. I don't know if the phone screen would cast a glow in the flowering room. Presumably the designers of the apps would have thought of that and they work with the screen dark, it being a security app and all. Neat idea. I think I'd go with CCTV first though, a little less clunky.

Feral, I am smacking myself right now. SMACK! Ouch! My timers accept up to 7 separate programs. I could program 7 'off' signals for one time if I wanted, or for seven times very close to each other. And seven 'on' times as well. Would this defeat the gremlins? I don't know, but I deserve a smack for not thinking of it! Plus reps to you mate.

Feral, I am smacking myself right now. SMACK! Ouch! My timers accept up to 7 separate programs. I could program 7 'off' signals for one time if I wanted, or for seven times very close to each other. And seven 'on' times as well. Would this defeat the gremlins? I don't know, but I deserve a smack for not thinking of it! Plus reps to you mate.

Thats exactly what i had to do but only had to set 2 sets of on/off to calm them gremlins, no issues yet... touch wood.... :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom