J Obadiah

Welcome to Obadiah's Garden!!

Background:
This year's garden is an extension and continuance of the grows I completed over the last four years (2016/17).

Premise & Philosophy:
My garden is probably different than most other gardens you'll see online because I go about things differently.
1. Experimentation - Every plant grown is used as a focus for scientific research. Decisions made concerning the plants are based either in whole or in part on this parameter. I endeavor to discover all I can about the biological, botanical and/or horticultural nature of my plants.
2. Philosophy - The growing approach I take hinges on, in my current predicament, the geographical and environmental limitations placed upon the plants, governed by where I am located. In this case, I currently grow in an environment I like to call, "high-heat/low space" or "high heat microgrow". This is so because I grow on a south-facing patio in Californias Central Valley, where temps regularly push past 100°F in Summer. (More about that later).
Specifications:
The following are the parameters of the current grow
  • Strain: Big Bud
  • Environment: Outdoor, Hot.
  • Type: Indica-dominant
  • Yield: High, 20oz per plant minimum
  • Situation: Smart-Pot
  • Medium: Supersoil & DWC.
  • Planted: April 2020
  • Method: Organic
  • Additions: Mychorrizae, BioLive, Aloe, Silica.
  • Pests: Spider Mites, Aphids, Slugs, and Spiders (possible, not occurring).
  • Water: Regular Tap.
  • Alterations: LST, Supercropping, and Topping.
  • Restrictions: Height (6ft), Odor (must be minimal), Space (13x6-back patio of my apartment), Light (nighttime streetlights--use a tarp to cover at night).
The girls are each about a month-and-a-half old and are doing well. The four in soil are LST'd and topped twice this far. I use a simple "bend-and-secure" method to LST them, and the one in DWC has been topped once, approximately 2ft tall.

Photos:
IMG_20200521_095328.jpg

In the above photo, you'll notice a little plant in a pot. That one is also Big Bud, but I'm attempting my very first semi-bonsai! I am securing it--for now--using paperclips, which work well so far.

The next 3 are the same plant in DWC. She had a root rot issue for about a week until I attached a second air pump and hose to provide more oxygenation of the water, worked wonders!
IMG_20200521_095301.jpg
IMG_20200521_095252.jpg
IMG_20200521_095243.jpg

The following image is one that shows the bending of the stalk directly back, opening her up to more light. I will continue bending and securing until I achieve the desired shape. (Duplicate below for additional commentary)
IMG_20200521_095227.jpg

The following image is the same plant as the first photo up top, just a different angle. She has been LSTd and is secured using garden tape and paper clips. She will be bent and topped several additional times in the upcoming weeks. IMG_20200521_095328.jpg

The kitty's name is Ariel, my little rescue. She likes to help me water by standing up on the sides of the pot, thereby bending it down so I can get the water spout under them a bit easier. Remarkable, really.
IMG_20200521_095314.jpg

The bamboo stake shows the original height of the plant prior to her bending (3ft). She was supercropped to give her extra stability along the bend.
IMG_20200521_095227.jpg

You can already see the baseline shape taking effect and it will soon support the bulk of the plant's biomass. A certain symmetry is sought when doing LST without a cage, for both functional and ornamental reasons.
IMG_20200521_095218.jpgIMG_20200521_095208.jpg

Securing also utilizes bamboo stakes opposed to cages as space is limited.
IMG_20200521_095159.jpg

A closer view of topping.
IMG_20200503_184925.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Find me on YT @ Obadiahs Garden. More to come soon! Stay tuned.

Obs

UPDATE 05/24/2020

Here are a few more photos. I wanted to update you today so you have an idea of the growth rate. I also added a pic of the littlest one I call the Science Experiment because it's my first attempt at Bonsai and I didn't do it correctly at all lolol but she's still cool.

Bonsai: See, what had HAPPENED was: I didn't initiate the original bend properly and so when I transplanted her I got messed up, but hey, live, grow, and learn, right?
IMG_20200524_094031.jpg

Im becoming more and more proud of this plant--shes smaller than her sisters, but still filling in well.
IMG_20200524_094000.jpg

Number 2 here is taking very well to LST and she's gonna need several toppings.
IMG_20200524_093951.jpg

Lots of heads, good growth this morning.
IMG_20200524_093939.jpg

I showed this one just two days ago so you can really see the growth.
IMG_20200524_093921.jpg

Big Bud is notorious for both it's heavy yield and her ability to handle LST. In fact, when I began researching which strain to purchase, I checked based on that capacity, and Big Bud was usually listed within the top 5 for that, and I see why: she remains herbaceous for a longer time than other varieties and so can be moulded and shaped quite easily. Consider this strain when you buy seeds. (Seed source: Nirvana).

Thanks for stopping by! Stay blessed and highly favored my friends!

Obadiah

UPDATE: JUNE 20TH 2020

Good day everyone! Here's a quick photo update of what's been happening in the garden. Enjoy!!

=================
Big Bud CBD (Plant #2). New growth is good, taking well to LST and topping has produced a good symmetry.
IMG_20200615_102203.jpg

Plant #3: Shes doing well in terms of new growth. Starting to balance out on the shorter side.
IMG_20200615_102150.jpg

DWC (Plant #4) is doing fantastic. She has a great structure and size manageability. Odorous and beautiful
IMG_20200615_102111.jpg

Plant #1: She's been bent the most out of them all and it's starting to produce the desired result of a good sized, bushy plant, under 6ft.
IMG_20200615_102118.jpg

Keep an eye out for more updates soon, and please feel free to slide your comments, questions as I really love to address and answer them, respectively.

Thanks for stopping by, stay #Blessed&HighlyFavored, and be #MightyInTheLand!

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_102125.jpg
    IMG_20200615_102125.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom