Japanese Beetles

simteresa

Outdoor crop, any tips on keeping Japanese beetles away?

Seen a few on some plants. Would like to control before becoming a problem

Hiya simteresa I'm a bit interested in bugs...though I do a indoor grow so I don't see to much variety! Boring old fungus gnats and ants mostly.

I did a quick search and it looks like traps are available, or putting other more yummy types of plants in close proximity to your grow will help...rose bushes?

The question got my attention and out of curiosity I did a bit of searching. Several natural methods include a spray with Neem. The Neem has minimal impact on the bug while it is eating but once ingested something in the Neem is passed on when the eggs are laid. Whatever it is is passed on to the larva and the larva very soon dies before it can do damage to roots or become an adult and start reproducing.

If you have a limited number of plants you could always consider just picking them off and squashing them while doing your normal maintenance.

I came across a mention that putting some geraniums near the plants as a companion planting is a natural repellent. Just so happens that I do have a couple geraniums in large pots near my patio plants.

Have a fun day.

Thanks - we are setting out traps today & trying marigolds. With 4,000 plants = a lot of bug patrolling!

Spraying weekly to keep pests away. So far during this grow season we’ve encountered spider mites & whiteflies.

We use Dakine 420, green cleaner, peppermint & soap - looking into purple cow products.

With Azamax and neem oil on standby for extreme pests. Thankfully we did not need to use yet.

All that we use does not repel Japanese beetles ‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom