Just how much sunlight does cannabis need to grow and flower outdoors?

aphrodisia

Hi everone. Just curious about something and would like to pick the brains of all those who grow outdoors in the northern climes about how much sunlight marijuana needs to grow and bloom successfully outdoors.
Its dead easy growing outdoors if you are doing so in sunny California or Spain but when you are growing outdoors in the northern hemisphere where the "summer" days are often gray and overcast and temperatures not so warm its a different story altogether and the summer season is often all too short.
Will really appreciate anybody who has grown outdoors in northern Europe or America to share their experiences of how the low sun exposure has affected their grows or not as the case may be.

There are specific seed breeders from PNW that offer good genetics for northern climates. I currently have about a dozen seedlings going from Mandala. I have no issues with plants getting plenty of sunlight...the challenge is more in the flowering phase (Sept/Oct) and keeping the RH low to avoid bud rot.

I’m in Canada, southern Ontario. My plants get about 14 hours of sunlight, half of which isn’t direct light. I grow plants yearly in back yard and they do ok.... Not monsters but no to bad.
I am in southeast Michigan so the climate is similar to southern Ontario but I don't get the temperature buffer that Lake Erie can provide. Plenty of daylight hours and enough clear or mostly clear days with full sunshine in this neck of the woods. I have seen some 6 foot plus plants plus the usual 3 to 5 foot plants that are being stealth trained and grown.

Cold night temps in the spring and again in the fall can really shorten the growing season no matter how long the day or how bright it is.

To me, growing outdoors would be optimal if I could amend the soil just as I can do with an indoor growing area. The right soil amendments and we could probably more than make up for the cloudy days we get around here. But, I will not turn down an outdoor grow even if I have to accept the soil without being able to add anything to it.

Have a great evening.

Thanks for the replies guys. Have only just started a couple of seedlings as I couldnt do it before on account of the "spring" weather being so cold, we were still getting snow in late April and May wasnt that great either. I germinated a few seedlings in May but they just froze and werent growing due to lack of sunlight and the cold and never grew past the first set of true leaves. Had to get rid of them and begin again. Man I really envy those growers in sunny Spain who have no shortage of brilliant sunlight all day, I can count myself lucky if the plants receive 6 hours of direct sunlight a day.

I am in southeast Michigan so the climate is similar to southern Ontario but I don't get the temperature buffer that Lake Erie can provide. Plenty of daylight hours and enough clear or mostly clear days with full sunshine in this neck of the woods. I have seen some 6 foot plus plants plus the usual 3 to 5 foot plants that are being stealth trained and grown.

Cold night temps in the spring and again in the fall can really shorten the growing season no matter how long the day or how bright it is.

To me, growing outdoors would be optimal if I could amend the soil just as I can do with an indoor growing area. The right soil amendments and we could probably more than make up for the cloudy days we get around here. But, I will not turn down an outdoor grow even if I have to accept the soil without being able to add anything to it.

Have a great evening.

You sure are right about those cold night temps and I think many growers tend to overlook that fact.

Northern Lights Auto would be my pick!
Cannabis has grown naturally all over the world since forever, hence the huge varieties in strains. Just pick your seeds wisely and search for wisdom from local growers if possible, also enquire about local seeds from local ‘outdoor’ growers.

If your in the UK like I'm guessing, it really can't be done all that successfully. There's outdoor journals here but the just don't yield enough to be worth the effort for me personally. A grower called glasgrow has a few guerilla grows in Scotland, pretty cool plants but not much bud. Hope it helps. Happy growing :thumb:

Yes I am and I'm afraid you are probably right about that, what a bummer.

Yes I am and I'm afraid you are probably right about that, what a bummer.
That explains the question.

If there is a will there is a way. If you have regular access to an outdoor plot of ground and are able to get there just about any time you want then you have an option. Treat it as a challenge and work the soil. The first year might not produce a lot but potentially each following year is better.

If you are not able to get to the plot of ground then there is the option of a guerilla warfare approach. Plant and run. I attempted that decades ago and it did not work for me but it helped with the learning curve.

Have a great day.

Id say autos aswell but as mentioned photos outdoors in UK is doable you just have to find the right strain. Look for strains that are resilient to budrot and WPM aswell for sure. Im in the south east so we can get away with it a bit more its like the marbella of england lmao. People overlook the originals but some oldschool indicas like an afghan would be a good shout or some kinda critical cross possibly.

North and altitude have a similar climate impact, but north gives long days, too. I'm in Montana @3700 feet and will have almost 17 hours of sunlight today. Temperature is my main concern. I grow very big buds in my greenhouse.

Attachments

• SAM_0259.JPG
    SAM_0259.JPG
    634.8 KB · Views: 259
If your in the UK like I'm guessing, it really can't be done all that successfully. There's outdoor journals here but the just don't yield enough to be worth the effort for me personally. A grower called glasgrow has a few guerilla grows in Scotland, pretty cool plants but not much bud. Hope it helps. Happy growing :thumb:
Yeah it all depends on expectations and grow space obviously, but I’m further north in Scandinavia and regularly see some lovely yields.

Back
Top Bottom