Justin's Experimental Jungles

Nice setup. reps to ya. Umm I got a question, but how much did that cost????
The learning curve was spendy but now it's simply the cost of your pumps and timers- be that AC or DC. The outdoor grow is all DC.
The 6500K lights were: 32 bulbs $67.00
The Ballasts were 4 bulb types at $18 each. Buy 4 ballasts.
Sockets are 80 cents per end of each tube. By 40 to start with.
Cost of 5 gal buckets maybe $25 bucks
You can make your own frame to hold the lights if you like OR you can hang "Bird or Deer Netting" around your grow and move each light where you want it. Even INSIDE the growth! The bulbs do not get hot enough to hurt your plants.

Tubing- get neoprene type for water to the individual grow sites. It's flexible.
Use a stiff "main water line to the array" and tap into it - with the neoprene at 3 foot intervals. This will allow you to spread your plants.

The fiberglass Res/Deck cost a bunch. But I've had them for years.
They are NOT needed.
Just place your "res array 1 or 2- 5 gallon buckets below ground" and pump up to the top of the Plant array. The "drain back line" is identical to the "water to Array". The only difference is it returns water to the res.

It's very simple.
You can use a garden hose for both but I would recommend a stiffer main line for both the water in and drain back.

All in all you can get started with less that $300 and have one rocking set up. Then add more things as time and money allow.

That is a great DIY setup J!! I have always thought about using river rock as a growing medium and you have definitely proved it functional. Those ladies are looking really fat and happy! Thanks for the photos brother!!

As Roseman said in his original journal 'Take time and think about what you are about to do.' It's all in the grow room set up.
Think about a the size of your plants now... how big they may get.
If you have to pull one- how easy will it be?
If you need to give them room- how easy will that be?
If you have to clear a clogged line- how can you do that and keep the rest of the system in operation.
You will need 2 small shut off valves per grow chamber. One to shut off the "water to" and one to block water "draining back" to the Res.

The T8 lights... you can mount the lights on a back and side wall if you like. You can hang them also. Just make sure you ballasts are mounted on the ceiling or higher than the plants. This is so the heat can stay high and away from plants and res. This will also show you how much electrical line you will need per bulb.

That is a great DIY setup J!! I have always thought about using river rock as a growing medium and you have definitely proved it functional. Those ladies are looking really fat and happy! Thanks for the photos brother!!

It's working as I expected. And I too and happy!! Thanks for the cheers!

Most excellent!

My main problem has been debris from nearby trees falling in the trays and contaminating the res and/or clogging the drain. (and the fubar when i left one of the tray's pump unpluged for two days...)

still loving the adventure of outdoor solar hydro tho. :D

Most excellent!

My main problem has been debris from nearby trees falling in the trays and contaminating the res and/or clogging the drain. (and the fubar when i left one of the tray's pump unpluged for two days...)

still loving the adventure of outdoor solar hydro tho. :D
Yes. Bummer. Thats why I went with an enclosed res and individual grow chambers. I can remove one and gently tweak it if a clog develops but... I thought ahead and used the root blocking cloth to protect the line.
You know... there is nothing stopping us from using a 1/4 inch line for a drain back. In this case I believe all you would have to do is run the water cycle a bit closer together so the array is well watered.

As it is now for me- the chambers fill faster than they drain. Hence why they flood. But they do not over flow. There is not enough water in the res to do this. But if a clog happens then it will flood.
The best fix for this is have 1/4 inch drain back line connected at 1 to 2 inches below the over flow level draining it back to the main drain back line.

Blue_Rhino_stones.jpg

Blue Rhino stone chamber.

It's full sun outside and yet dark under the canopy of leaves. Notice the new PEX water to chamber array line. Did that today.

White_Widows_low.jpg

White widows at far right of grow deck. Notice the new PEX water to chamber line. Nice and stiff! No more wimpy hose line for my water to plant array. It was a pain keeping it up and stable.

I'm happy.
The photos of the grow deck interior are too dark. Maybe tomorrow I can load them.
I have to rebuild the deck for the new ladies coming on line. Notice them in the background.
Fun!

Thanks Rose and Green. The system is working like it should and the stiffer PEX made a big difference. Adding more sites to this array and moved the others to another area. I ran out of space in the experimental garden. I also converted the others over to the same system but now running off the Solar panel. That new garden is running off normal electricity. No big deal via power consumption. Just running the pumps and timers on both systems.
I will run out of summer before the ladies run out of growth. Winter comes quick here. Kind a makes me wish I was in AZ.

I will be making a tent to protect them from the heat of the day. I will do that on one array and see if it shows any change in growth. Blocking some of the full mid day sun may help their growth. They seem to be fighting the direct sun at this time of day. Wimping out a bit.

Gotta go get more river stone for the new sets.

Back
Top Bottom