Kelp Discussion & Experiment: Test It Yourself!

Hello to all you growers! I have been doing a lot of research as well as planning many tests on different brands of kelp and have been focusing my time to see which kelp products really benefit the Cannabis plant. I want to hear your feedback to see what others have seen with their grows or experience with kelp as well. I have been blessed to talk with different chemists and professors during my college career from the University of Arizona and Virginia Tech who have experience developing and testing these kelp products before as well as teach students lessons on botany, soil science, and plant physiology. They helped me learn about the differences between these kelp products on the market used today.

First, they showed me that you want to know a couple of factors before choosing which kelp product you want to use such as, kelp species, kelp extraction, and kelp form. Kelp species is something to look at as there are many types that can be used for plant growth. The most heavily used Kelp on the market is currently Ascophyllum Nodosum as it is easier/cheaper to obtain and has been studied the most. This form of kelp is used in most seaweed products out there. Yes, this product helps with roots, but what people do not understand is that this form of kelp tends to contain higher Cytokinin counts than Auxin Counts. These two things are considered natural growth hormones where Cytokinins regulate axillary bud growth, apical dominance and shoot growth. Auxins stimulate plant cells to elongate and aid in growth of stems, roots and more. With higher Cytokinin counts, it makes more sense to use this type of kelp species during the flowering stage yet they market a lot of products as a great root enhancer. Don’t get me wrong, it helps promote root growth but not as well as Auxin dominated species of kelp. There are few companies out there that are using another species of kelp called Ecklonia Maxima. This species of kelp tends to be harder to obtain in the South African Coasts and some other areas as well. This kelp species through testing shows to contain higher Auxin counts so wouldn’t this type of species seem better to use for root growth? That is why I decided to try and run tests on some different products out there to see which ones seem to work best in regards to root development. Maybe we should be feeding specific kelp species in certain plant stages? Maybe feed Ecklonia Maxima in Veg to really get the roots growing then switch to Ascophyllum Nodosom during flower to help with shoot and bud growth? There are companies out there that add kelp to their bloom boosters but generally containing the Ascophyllum Nodosum species which makes sense, but why market and use this kelp for root growth on other products? Or what if these two species were mixed and had great synergistic abilities? Feel free to make and share your own tests if this topic intrigues you. The companies that have products with this different species are shown below if you wanted to try and test this yourself. I am currently trying to test them all to find which works the best as well as see if you really can see a difference in the plants physiological growth depending on the kelp species used.

Next thing to look at when choosing a kelp product is the extraction method. I had help learning from some chemists who are experienced creating kelp products. There are different kelp manufacturers and I have even read about some other posts on here of people explaining the companies who harvest and extract the kelps but their info seems to be outdated. With today’s technology, there are products being created that are way more concentrated and more beneficial then kelp meals and cold pressed kelps when regards to natural hormones/ secondary metabolites. In order to get a specific kelp form, you must extract the kelp in a specific way. So the forms out today are Kelp Meal, Kelp extract, Kelp Powder, and Kelp concentrate. A lot of people on these forms tell people to just use kelp meal because of price reasons/making your own liquid kelp with it through rehydration/tea or using it because of the fact that there is no solvent like potassium hydroxide to harm your precious microbes and biology in the soil. Kelp Meal is good for someone on a budget, because you could make a tea and make the product last a long time but it is not working nearly as well as certain products on the market. Plus it takes weeks for it to be broken down by the soil biology because of the extra organic matter that companies add to their products. Kelp Meal is made by solar drying and being ground and pulverized which can harm and deteriorate some of the beneficials such as auxins and cytokinins. It is higher in Nutrients along with Mannitol and Alginic Acid when compared to certain kelp extracts but kelp extract or concentrate offers greater concentration of hormones and consistency of performance. The issue with certain kelp extracts is that it can be extracted through chemical hydrolysis (i.e. potassium hydroxide) and physical extraction (i.e., high-pressure and cold process). Chemical hydrolysis and high pressure extraction is not generally favored as it is harsh and kills off some of the beneficial hormones and nutrients the kelp has to offer as well as destroy alginic acid and mannitol. The cold Pressed kelp can be beneficial but what the chemists explained is that cold pressed kelp is not as concentrated and tends to be watered down. A lot of the beneficial vitamins and hormones keep contained within the plant cell and wont get extracted through cold press unless that cell is broken down through enzymes. That brings us to the other form of extraction called enzymatic digestion. Through this extraction, enzymes are able to fully break down the cells and retain most of the beneficial/secondary metabolites creating an overall more concentrated product containing higher hormones, alginic acid and mannitol content then other forms of extraction. Some companies may even have testing done to prove the content of their Beneficial’s within their kelp showing the amounts of vitamins and hormones contained in their product.

With all of this info, It urged me to test what I learned to see if what these scholars say was true. I am confused why the nutrient market has not caught on to this information but then began to learn that money tends to get involved. Companies out there selling watered down products or claiming things that are not fully true through their marketing tricks. I will perform testing on all these kelp products below based on their form/extraction and their species. I want to see if the species Ecklonia Maxima really does create more root growth than the Ascophyllum Nodosom species kelp. I also want to compare performance of enzymatic extraction vs kelp meal and physical and chemical extraction kelp. Through these tests, I could then see which form/extraction of kelp worked best as well as which species performs better as a root enhancer. I want to use the kelp that will best promote root growth as the greater the roots, the greater the plant organs, the greater the plant organs, the bigger the fruit it will create! I am open for any opinions or comments. I will be posting my results from the tests when done! I believe all of this is a start a something new and maybe you members might want to test it yourself! Happy growing to all!

Ecklonia Maxima Species Kelp:

-Herb N Grow
81-hUTMrP9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-First Rays Kelpmax

-Environotics Earth Kelp

- Bloom City Clean Kelp (Blend of Ascophyllum Nodosum, Ecklonia Maxima, Chlorella Vulgaris, Arthrospira Platensis, Palmaria Palsmata, Laminaria Saccharina and Chandrus Crispus)

61teJmPq7jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ascophyllum Nodosum Species Kelp:

-Neptune Harvest Kelp Meal

816p6q8ANtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-Fox Farm Bush Doctor Kelp Me Kelp You

51Z-wo0kF8L._AC_.jpg

-Aurora Innovations Buddha Bloom

41MY5p4HoZL._AC_.jpg

-General Organics BioWeed

81XHOZNB3-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-3 Gems Jewel

-BioBasics SeaCrop 16 -
Sea Crop 16

-GS Plant Foods Liquid Kelp

71743FKxgWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-MaxiCrop Liquid Seaweed

81-R91p-DrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-Dr Earth Seaweed kelp meal

81fsF6NTEIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-BioBizz ALG-A-MIC

51DzsAWMVaL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

-NPK Industries RAW Kelp Meal

81dQdw9GY0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-Blue Planet Nutrients Easy Weed Seaweed

31CJJW4EqzL._AC_.jpg

Mainly bull kelp and giant kelp around here, with a little of everything else mixed in of course. A few truck loads on the garden in fall, eel grass for mulch, and the occasional kelp soup concoction.

Mainly bull kelp and giant kelp around here, with a little of everything else mixed in of course. A few truck loads on the garden in fall, eel grass for mulch, and the occasional kelp soup concoction.

wow you live that close to the ocean? that's awesome. i'd be getting me some scuba gear and swim for treasures lol

Hello to all you growers! I have been doing a lot of research as well as planning many tests on different brands of kelp and have been focusing my time to see which kelp products really benefit the Cannabis plant. I want to hear your feedback to see what others have seen with their grows or experience with kelp as well. I have been blessed to talk with different chemists and professors during my college career from the University of Arizona and Virginia Tech who have experience developing and testing these kelp products before as well as teach students lessons on botany, soil science, and plant physiology. They helped me learn about the differences between these kelp products on the market used today.

First, they showed me that you want to know a couple of factors before choosing which kelp product you want to use such as, kelp species, kelp extraction, and kelp form. Kelp species is something to look at as there are many types that can be used for plant growth. The most heavily used Kelp on the market is currently Ascophyllum Nodosum as it is easier/cheaper to obtain and has been studied the most. This form of kelp is used in most seaweed products out there. Yes, this product helps with roots, but what people do not understand is that this form of kelp tends to contain higher Cytokinin counts than Auxin Counts. These two things are considered natural growth hormones where Cytokinins regulate axillary bud growth, apical dominance and shoot growth. Auxins stimulate plant cells to elongate and aid in growth of stems, roots and more. With higher Cytokinin counts, it makes more sense to use this type of kelp species during the flowering stage yet they market a lot of products as a great root enhancer. Don’t get me wrong, it helps promote root growth but not as well as Auxin dominated species of kelp. There are few companies out there that are using another species of kelp called Ecklonia Maxima. This species of kelp tends to be harder to obtain in the South African Coasts and some other areas as well. This kelp species through testing shows to contain higher Auxin counts so wouldn’t this type of species seem better to use for root growth? That is why I decided to try and run tests on some different products out there to see which ones seem to work best in regards to root development. Maybe we should be feeding specific kelp species in certain plant stages? Maybe feed Ecklonia Maxima in Veg to really get the roots growing then switch to Ascophyllum Nodosom during flower to help with shoot and bud growth? There are companies out there that add kelp to their bloom boosters but generally containing the Ascophyllum Nodosum species which makes sense, but why market and use this kelp for root growth on other products? Or what if these two species were mixed and had great synergistic abilities? Feel free to make and share your own tests if this topic intrigues you. The companies that have products with this different species are shown below if you wanted to try and test this yourself. I am currently trying to test them all to find which works the best as well as see if you really can see a difference in the plants physiological growth depending on the kelp species used.

Next thing to look at when choosing a kelp product is the extraction method. I had help learning from some chemists who are experienced creating kelp products. There are different kelp manufacturers and I have even read about some other posts on here of people explaining the companies who harvest and extract the kelps but their info seems to be outdated. With today’s technology, there are products being created that are way more concentrated and more beneficial then kelp meals and cold pressed kelps when regards to natural hormones/ secondary metabolites. In order to get a specific kelp form, you must extract the kelp in a specific way. So the forms out today are Kelp Meal, Kelp extract, Kelp Powder, and Kelp concentrate. A lot of people on these forms tell people to just use kelp meal because of price reasons/making your own liquid kelp with it through rehydration/tea or using it because of the fact that there is no solvent like potassium hydroxide to harm your precious microbes and biology in the soil. Kelp Meal is good for someone on a budget, because you could make a tea and make the product last a long time but it is not working nearly as well as certain products on the market. Plus it takes weeks for it to be broken down by the soil biology because of the extra organic matter that companies add to their products. Kelp Meal is made by solar drying and being ground and pulverized which can harm and deteriorate some of the beneficials such as auxins and cytokinins. It is higher in Nutrients along with Mannitol and Alginic Acid when compared to certain kelp extracts but kelp extract or concentrate offers greater concentration of hormones and consistency of performance. The issue with certain kelp extracts is that it can be extracted through chemical hydrolysis (i.e. potassium hydroxide) and physical extraction (i.e., high-pressure and cold process). Chemical hydrolysis and high pressure extraction is not generally favored as it is harsh and kills off some of the beneficial hormones and nutrients the kelp has to offer as well as destroy alginic acid and mannitol. The cold Pressed kelp can be beneficial but what the chemists explained is that cold pressed kelp is not as concentrated and tends to be watered down. A lot of the beneficial vitamins and hormones keep contained within the plant cell and wont get extracted through cold press unless that cell is broken down through enzymes. That brings us to the other form of extraction called enzymatic digestion. Through this extraction, enzymes are able to fully break down the cells and retain most of the beneficial/secondary metabolites creating an overall more concentrated product containing higher hormones, alginic acid and mannitol content then other forms of extraction. Some companies may even have testing done to prove the content of their Beneficial’s within their kelp showing the amounts of vitamins and hormones contained in their product.

With all of this info, It urged me to test what I learned to see if what these scholars say was true. I am confused why the nutrient market has not caught on to this information but then began to learn that money tends to get involved. Companies out there selling watered down products or claiming things that are not fully true through their marketing tricks. I will perform testing on all these kelp products below based on their form/extraction and their species. I want to see if the species Ecklonia Maxima really does create more root growth than the Ascophyllum Nodosom species kelp. I also want to compare performance of enzymatic extraction vs kelp meal and physical and chemical extraction kelp. Through these tests, I could then see which form/extraction of kelp worked best as well as which species performs better as a root enhancer. I want to use the kelp that will best promote root growth as the greater the roots, the greater the plant organs, the greater the plant organs, the bigger the fruit it will create! I am open for any opinions or comments. I will be posting my results from the tests when done! I believe all of this is a start a something new and maybe you members might want to test it yourself! Happy growing to all!

-Herb N Grow

-First Rays Kelpmax

-Environotics Earth Kelp

- Bloom City Clean Kelp (Blend of Ascophyllum Nodosum, Ecklonia Maxima, Chlorella Vulgaris, Arthrospira Platensis, Palmaria Palsmata, Laminaria Saccharina and Chandrus Crispus)

-3 Gems Jewel

-BioBasics SeaCrop 16 -
Sea Crop 16

-MaxiCrop Liquid Seaweed

-BioBizz ALG-A-MIC

I was just looking at kelp online trying to decide if i should try some. this was after reading about GH rapid start alternatives as the price is ridiculous, and i read a post that said something like all you need is kelp for roots. but there's so many kinds and i grow in coco so i'm not sure if kelp would be bad or not.

Awesome post and work broski.

Thank you.

Kelp is great for all mediums and tends to be a wonder food for cannabis. But like you said, there are so many dang products out there for sale. That is why hopefully through testing we can see which products work best and with what media whether it be coco, living soil, hydroponics etc. I always use kelp in my grows and have seen amazing growth. Maybe try some products and see if you see any improvement in roots, top growth and buds. I know amazon has some kelps for a good price. I am currently buying one called Herb N Grow to test how the Ecklonia Maxima species performs compared to a product like fox farms bush doctor kelp which uses a species called Ascophyllum Nodosum. Eventually I will be testing all of the products listed above.

Nice! What growth do you tend to see when using that kelp? You use it in both veg and flower?

The plants love it, but so far I do not use it on my indoor cannabis. I’ve been thinking about taking that 5 gallon bucket of horrible smelling kelp slime I have out there and making it in into something I can use indoors though. Will take a little more processing I think. Someone mentioned needing to use phosphoric acid to make a kelp hydrosolate. I’m going to let it rot a little longer before delving into that subject. It seems to be a traditional thing around here to have a rotten bucket or two of kelp around :laughtwo: The stuff reeks so much :eek: that it’s much easier to start one than it is to do anything with it later.

Kelp in general has a lovely range of nutrients, including a ton of calcium.

Seems to me that may be what this thread boils down to- macro and micro elements. It’s reasonably well understood what the plants need. There isn’t much more magic to it beyond those essential elements and the ratios involved. Not that it doesn’t get complicated.

I’ve never bought any seaweed products before for obvious reasons, but if those elements were listed on the package, and you had some idea whether they were soluble or not, that would go a long way towards answering every question. I take it the elements are not listed? There’s no data sheet available like there is for most bottled nutrients, or label on the back listing NPK, etc?
I wonder how many of these companies are getting their product tested, and if so - do they want to share.

swim for treasures lol

Ha ha ha. Most of the year you’d get pounded and spit back out. On that particular beach the best treasures just wash in. Seems like anything that’ll float shows up eventually.

People around here use the seaweed in outdoor gardens and greenhouses mostly, as I described. A layer on the surface sometime between fall- early spring. Seaweed harvesting is somewhat of a seasonal thing as it grow very quickly in summer then dies back in winter and is washed up in storms, sometimes in mountainous piles. That pic was from last winter and the seaweed picking was relatively sparse that day. It’s actually about the time of year for me to head out and grab a few more truckloads for the veggie gardens.
Lots of wind lately and I wouldn’t be surprised if the kelp beds are getting hammered.

Kelp in particular breaks down pretty quickly. If you take a couple truckloads of bull kelp and dump it on the garden it will dissolve into slime within a couple weeks. Other types of seaweed, such the black eel grass fluff that piles up on the beaches in spring, gets used as a mulch and takes at least a couple years to break down.

As far as making your own kelp product they tend to be suspension products where the kelp matter will tend to separate from the liquid it is in. That is why some will use acids to help create a more even solution that will prevent it from separating but some of the acids can deteriorate some of the beneficials kelp has to offer like the alginic acid, mannitol/secondary metabolites. And also yes you are correct! The kelp has many macro and micro nutrients that help aid in growth but I am talking more about the phytohormones that are in kelp such as Auxins and Cytokinins. With the many beneficial hormones contained within kelp, each has their own beneficial properties that activate depending on how much the plant takes in. What I learned from class is for example, with Cytokinins and Auxins within plants, if one level is 50%, then the other level is 50%. If one level increases to 60%, the other will drop to 40%. If cytokinin levels are low, the plant produces vegetative growth and if cytokinin levels increase, the auxin levels go down which then tells the plant to transition into its flowering processes. Cytokinins and auxins balance out the transition from vegetative to flowering growth, gibberellins and abscisic acid work together to promote fruiting, while ethylene and auxins coordinate to cause the dropping of leaves. These five hormones work synergistically to initiate all the necessary physiological processes plants undergo to complete their veg and flowering cycles. These hormones are constantly flowing through a growing plant, but with the right recipe we can have more control over which physiological processes to activate within the plant. That is why I am testing different kelps because if one species contains higher auxins, then by feeding our cannabis this, we can have more control over the physiological processes of the plant.

So some factors will probably be lost in the transition from an organic soil amendment to a hydro-friendly product, then. I’m currently growing more on
the hydro side of things but it sounds like I may be better off saving some of my kelp goo for a soil grow experiment or two.

I expect that you are going to have to lead the way on these subjects. For whatever reason, there tends not to be a lot of science on this forum. Not that it isn’t very welcome, it is, it just doesn’t seem to really be where most people are at, as mostly it’s ‘simple home cannabis growing 101’. Keen to see what we find out here though.

-Herb N Grow

-First Rays Kelpmax

-Environotics Earth Kelp=Seems to be taken off amazon sorry for no link!

-3 Gems Jewel

-BioBasics SeaCrop 16 -
Sea Crop 16

-MaxiCrop Liquid Seaweed

-BioBizz ALG-A-MIC

What about Kelp4Less's product line? Kelp4less It works well for me and is very reasonably priced (it's dry so you don't pay to ship water)

Yea I also want to try the Kelp4Less product as it is considered a specific form of extraction to make the product water soluble. They generally will turn the kelp into a potassium salt which is fairly alkaline so that it can dissolve in water like sugar. That is why the label may show a high number under its potassium portion like 0-0-10. Or they will simply get a kelp meal and try to break it down even further into smaller molecules. They sadly do not ship to California though for some reason maybe because the company couldn't get their label and analysis registered through California and their strict rules. I also cant seem to see the product label on their website. They should show on their product analysis where the kelp is derived from. Most likely it is derived from Ascophyllum Nodosum Kelp but if you have the product at home it should tell you.

Yea I also want to try the Kelp4Less product as it is considered a specific form of extraction to make the product water soluble. They generally will turn the kelp into a potassium salt which is fairly alkaline so that it can dissolve in water like sugar. That is why the label may show a high number under its potassium portion like 0-0-10. Or they will simply get a kelp meal and try to break it down even further into smaller molecules. They sadly do not ship to California though for some reason maybe because the company couldn't get their label and analysis registered through California and their strict rules. I also cant seem to see the product label on their website. They should show on their product analysis where the kelp is derived from. Most likely it is derived from Ascophyllum Nodosum Kelp but if you have the product at home it should tell you.
They do have California blends but likely the reason they won't ship there is they don't want to waste money getting their stuff organically certified and the reasons you shared.
Given that most of what you originally posted is dissolved in water (I personally can do that especially since water is costly to ship) would not the type of Kelp used in them be the same as Kelp4Less's?
It does not show on the label but that does not concern me because I doubt many show that info, if any. I get a similar product to other brands, they offer a full line from veg to bloom at a lower price than my old nute seller FF.
So, are you prepared with a bunch of clones to do tests? As you know you are going to need control plants along with several for each nutrient line.
Personally, just the cost would kill me, Kelp4Less's line will cost you roughly $200 from cloning a plant to grow to harvest and goes up from there (It will last me over a year) I can imagine how costly some of those lines would be to purchase.

I just guess that they use the species of kelp called Ascophyllum Nodosum because that is what most companies use in their products. Yes not paying for water is a big reason people choose water soluble products as well as their efficacy. But that is why this all interests me because I want to see which form of kelp as well as which species works best for specific growth periods on cannabis. Yes water soluble products are great but are they really retaining all the beneficials kelp has to offer as well as secondary metabolites compared to a product that used enzymatic digestion to extract kelp? Hopefully through testing, we can see if there really is a difference on how well these products work.

I just guess that they use the species of kelp called Ascophyllum Nodosum because that is what most companies use in their products. Yes not paying for water is a big reason people choose water soluble products as well as their efficacy. But that is why this all interests me because I want to see which form of kelp as well as which species works best for specific growth periods on cannabis. Yes water soluble products are great but are they really retaining all the beneficials kelp has to offer as well as secondary metabolites compared to a product that used enzymatic digestion to extract kelp? Hopefully through testing, we can see if there really is a difference on how well these products work.
Have fun; it will take a lot of controlled areas to do a study right and of course, results need to be replicated to verify them. Good luck. Remember stuff has to be marketable not just the best.

The NPK Raw Line kelp comes dry / powder type, just add to your H20 so shipping weight is minimal,
I only ran the NPK Line once so cant really give much help. I only use it now to help germinate seeds
I add just a dash to the water when I do a 12 hrs seed soak prior to planting

Thank you! If you or anyone else would like to test then don't be shy to post on here! Maybe test your kelp4less verses an enzymatic digested ecklonia maxima species such as amazons Herb N Grow. I am curious to try the kelp4less product. I need to add it to the list if I can get the Cali blend.

Thank you! If you or anyone else would like to test then don't be shy to post on here! Maybe test your kelp4less verses an enzymatic digested ecklonia maxima species such as amazons Herb N Grow. I am curious to try the kelp4less product. I need to add it to the list if I can get the Cali blend.
My experiences are not controlled, I do not have (or want) control plants and until I find a good pheno (about halfway there, have to verify what I believe I have with a grow) for clones, I'm still popping seeds (you can't even start a study w/o clones).
Any experience I have is worthless in regards to a good controlled study.
Note that you are going to have to account for different levels of nutes between brands just to do this. The variable of different nute levels will skew results.
I take the study is to determine the affect of the various types of Kelps not to determine which brand is best.

Back
Top Bottom