Kinda confused?!

egs420

ok i got a bottle of fox farms big bloom, tiger bloom and cha ching. i have been looking into how much to feed? and how often? here is the issue... the bottles all say to use the product every other water, the fox farms web site feeding schedule says twice a week and every other water! what the hell! which is it twice a week? or every other water?:hmmmm:

Re: kinda confused?!@#%$*

Not too sure, but from what I understand it depends on your watering habbits.
I know some that only water once a week, and others that water daily, and some that water twice daily. So if you water dail, id feed once weekly. If you water bi weekly, EOF.

yeah it is about 95-110 degrees on average so i tend to water twice a day. 1gal in the morning and 2gal around 2-3pm. the soil gets dry quick when its hot like this so the nute schedule is kinda different i guess.

If you water twice a day unless your plants are in a shotglass you are watering too much.

I live in just as hot temps, Cali desert. And at worst I water once a day but usually try not to water once every 2 or 3 day.

I use my own home made nute solution. But typically I like to water heavy and deep one day and have nutes in it. Then on the next day I hit to top soil with like half a gallon of just water to keep the top soil wet. Then I do another half gallon on top the next day. Then the 3rd day I hit it again with heavy deep watering and nutes.

Im water twice daily cause my bther in law used last years dirt with no peet moss or anything of the sort. nor did he replenish it with any new dirt. As well as the fact that my babies are 6ft plus in a 20 gall container. only thee get that treatment. they stay wilted, and if I dont do that they colapse. I just moved them closer to the house in order to provide more shade hoping tht I can save on water cost...

My other babies are in foxfarms, and jut as big, but since that is fresh dirt, with water retaining ingredients they are fine on a once a day water.

egs420 What size pots??? Im in 20 gal pots and do 1 gal each watering. I am using Bio Thrive by GH I do a heavy feeding, and I mean heavy. Some wod say Im feeding to much but its working well for me. Im feeding eod with 3 teaspoons per gal of water. Recommended is 1:1 light feed, heavy 2:1, EOF. Im going to heavy because it hs no chemicals and no blood products so its not easy to over feed. Ive been doing th since my plants had thr third tier and that was in mid June. No signs of over fert.
I would say play around and find what your plants want.

@Jimmycricket, you are using smaller pots, did you ever go to five gallons??? Im just asking cause you said my watering was too much. Im curious how big are you babies??? I know when I was in 5 gallons I was watering every 4 days, and no way was I using 1 gal. I was at maybe a quart. Im barley using a gal with my 20 gallon pots. and even at a gal I get serious run off. What dirt are you using???

wilted.jpg

This is one of mine.

Re: Kinda confused?!@#%$*

You are getting run off in a 20 gallon pot with 1 gallon of water because its still wet. When soil is fairly dry you can water 15-25% of the pots total size and not get run off yet.

Keeping the soil constantly wet can invite root rot among other problems.

My soil is 15-25% perlite depending on the plant. In 15 gallon pots I can water about 3 gallons without any run off. In the 5 gallon pots it is about 1 gallon that can be watered without any run off.

As for feeding with those FF products, sorry I can not help. I do not use them. But keeping plants constantly fed with just a small amount of nutes is prefered to watering heavy once in awhile.

Brother either i didnt state this or ur not reading correctly, but if i dont water as i am, they fall over. Plants are finicky, n u cawhat works for onent use thr same methods as everyone. What works for ur plants might not work for mine. N obviously my method is working, thats why i posted the pix.. Also when i water at 7am n i go out at noon my dirt is dry 3 inches deep. And im not the only one that thinks my method works. Each grow does his thing, u cant say im wrong, nor can i say ur wrong. I asked of u got run off and what dirt u uae, and pot size. Im trying to guage ur method against mine, not insult u or say that ur doing it wrong nor to correct u, as u r correcting me.

I know about root rot, but as u can see by picture i have 20 plus tops, its about 7.5 feet tall, and thus need more water. Also most cultivators i know in my area use the same method. We are a bit dry out here. Just cause we are both in cali doesnt mean that we share the same air humidity, now the same water quality.

TBH we might both of been miss-understanding eachother.

I grow in the second harshest desert in CA. Only death valley would be hotter and dryer.

During July there was definitely times I had to water every day and even a few times I felt like I should water lightly twice a day. I probably didnt need to go twice a day then, but it surely didnt hurt the plants. But that was only when it was 105-115 for multiple days straight.

Then a few days ago there was that 9 or so day long 105-110 heat wave. By that time the plants which where in the ground had deeper roots so I still was just watering once every 3 days sometimes just giving a few cups each night extra when it wasent a "real" water day. I was purposely trying to let the plants soil nearly dry out this past month even during these wicked heat streaks. In a effort to stress the roots into growing huge. infact that is how I always water. indoors or out. indoors I can go sometimes 6 days without water on established plants.

Once things settle down and the temps are lower 90s I probably wont be watering but once every 5 days. We shall see as I simply go by if the soil has any moisture like 8 inches down. If it does I wait, if it dont I water away.

My potted plants outdoors are on roughly the same cycle as the in ground ones. Mainly because all the potted plants are under trees. Which keeps them a bit cooler. Both my strains in pots are just not the greatest when it comes to heat or too much sun. The Helix is just a shitty whimplike strain that I will not be growing again and will be lucky to get 2 oz off. The XXX which is also in a pot outside is a 100% indica plant. I find it burns with too much sun especially midday sun. So its under a tree and only gets morning and late afternoon sun. They are quite bushy so the leaves block thesun from seeing its soil. So it really could probably last like 3 maybe 4 days without water.

Incase you want to compare the average humidity here is in the teens. 11-18% hudmidity is the norm. So the air sucks the water right out of the ground. I still think you would fair better watering deeply then letting it dry out over a day or 2. But if you are happy with its progress who am I to change your mind.

"Some plants which are very larger need almost one gallon of water daily. One of the methods to measure the requirement of outdoor plants is their appearance. If the plants of marijuana are wilted, it means they require water. However some of the cannabis plants wilt for some time due to hot weather conditions as in summers, therefore you should not be worried as it is normal."
How Much Water - Watering Marijuana Plants
How much water your plant needs depends on how big your plant is. Some larger plants will require a minimum of a gallon of water per day. Natural loam soil will be able to hold water for anywhere between 4 - 6 weeks before becoming extremely dry under the sun.

Deep pockets of water may be held below the surface that would not be noticed by the grower on the surface. The best way to judge whether your plants need water or not is by the way they look. If they are wilting badly, then they need water. If not, then they may be okay. In general outdoor plants tend to wilt a small bit anyway during the summer months.
The Cannabis Grow Bible - Caring for outdoor plants

Heres a few that support my method.

ERRRR I said I tried that method, and it didnt work. All the research Ive done has said that watering deeply is worse for the plants. And gain mine are 7.5 feet tall, and the width is about 3.5-4.5 wide. That takes a lot of moisture. I do agree your in a hotter enviorment, and dryer, but again the soil, thesize, and drainage also play a big part. I have about two inched of pebbles at the bottom of my pot as well, that also ensures that no excess water is retained in the pot. The pebbles also facilitate drainage. See when you dont have the pebbles in there only x amount of water can get out. because the dirt turns muddy and clogs those holes. and what on a 15g pot you ave 5-6 3/4 inch holes?? so it retains a lot more water. I hwever hav about 1/8 inch peble throughout the entire bottom of the pot, it makes th bottom of my pot like a noodle strainer, meaning more water will be drained out and there will b no water left at the bottom.
Sorry for the typos im on my phone...

I re read it and what I meant was the pebbles are 1/8 inch and they cover the bottom and the depth is about 2 inches deep,

You should ask JamestheGreen about Foxfarm products as he uses them, grows outdoors and has incredible results ...

wow! you both have very strong opinions about watering. my plant is in a 5gal bucket and i only water if the soil is dry, and i only give it
2gal when the one gal doesnt run off. it is really healthy and green, so my watering is not an issue. i guess i will just have to mess around with the nutes a little bit to see how the plant reacts. thankyou both for the input :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom